Jump to content

Behind the scenes on reality tv


  • Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#26 Ellie bean

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:51 AM

 MooGuru, on 07 October 2019 - 12:46 AM, said:



I know one dating show,  3 singing competition, 2 renovations and 1 cooking show. All speak pretty positively about the experiences.

One was on a show with a notable 'villian' who claimed editing etc. They said what we saw was pretty accurate to their experience of that person when on the show. So sure maybe they were manipulated into acting up for the cameras but they maintained that role pretty comprehensively throughout towards all the contestants regardless of whether the cameras were present.
How do you know so many! I’m acquainted with one big brother participant and that’s it, I must move in much duller circles

#27 MooGuru

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

 Ellie bean, on 07 October 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:


How do you know so many! I’m acquainted with one big brother participant and that’s it, I must move in much duller circles

I may or may not have been in the same class as someone who's father became a production manager or something in reality TV a couple of years after we finished school.

#28 Lunafreya

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:07 AM

I have been tempted to apply for Masterchef in the past, but all I wanted to do was cook for them and not be in the whole reality show thing. And when it became more reality this, less food, I stopped watching.

The thing about going on these shows is how unpredictable they are.

I do wonder though if people have sued for defamation of character

#29 BornToLove

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:22 AM

I know someone who tried out for master chef. They were very keen to be on the show until they realised that their ‘storyline’ would focus on the death of a family member and the show wanted to play up the hardship of having to move on from that. They declined. While the death had a great impact on their life, they felt it wasn’t appropriate to profit (so to speak) from the death of this family member.

Edited by BornToLove, 07 October 2019 - 02:23 AM.


#30 Riotproof

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:56 AM

https://www.sbs.com....dustry-shake-up

I wonder how the first season people of Big Brother feel. Arguably they wouldn’t have had any insight into editing portraying them in a different light.

#31 WaitForMe

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

 MooGuru, on 07 October 2019 - 12:46 AM, said:

I know one dating show,  3 singing competition, 2 renovations and 1 cooking show. All speak pretty positively about the experiences.

One was on a show with a notable 'villian' who claimed editing etc. They said what we saw was pretty accurate to their experience of that person when on the show. So sure maybe they were manipulated into acting up for the cameras but they maintained that role pretty comprehensively throughout towards all the contestants regardless of whether the cameras were present.

Well yeah because there are a*s*holes out there. Just because one happens to have been captured accurately doesn't mean others haven't.

#32 MooGuru

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:52 PM

 WaitForMe, on 07 October 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:



Well yeah because there are a*s*holes out there. Just because one happens to have been captured accurately doesn't mean others haven't.

Yes because giving one example is the same as saying everyone.

I watch the shows with a grain of salt knowing they can be edited.
I also take the "I was edited" with a grain of salt.

#33 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

I dunno. It's easy to cry editing. It's harder to admit that outside of family and employers you're kind of a t*at.

The only reality show I like is Love Island. It is so atrociously bad amd obviously manipulated. It's amazing. Oh and Drag Race. But that is getting far too produced (never gonna stop watching tho lol).

I watched the show unReal on Stan. It was created by someone who worked on the American bachelor. I feel like it's ruined reality tv for me because you can tell when the producers are pulling the storyline.

#34 Heather11

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

Quote

I also take the "I was edited" with a grain of salt.

Yeh, I always figure they must have offered up something that the producers decide they can play on or edit.  Why are some people chosen to be the villian or be made to look bad and others not?  Is it the outspoken ones who happily divulge everything or talk about everyone?

#35 night jasmine

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

Because it suits the narrative and the material they have to work with?

I thought he was unfairly portrayed at the time, and I generally think a lot of people are edited unfairly. When you look at what they say and do, it’s often not that big a deal but it gets so ridiculous with all the contrived drama and faces they cleverly edit.

#36 Tokra

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

 CallMeFeral, on 06 October 2019 - 11:08 PM, said:

Soo... if someone doesn't take someone else's advice, it's their fault if they suffer?
Wow, that's a really unforgiving point of view. Does it apply to all people who make a mistake or foolish decision, does it mean they should all suffer? And that whoever made them suffer is not responsible, they are? It sounds like shaming the victim to me.

Oh cut it out and stop looking for a fight. He was given advice by professionals, who knew what they were talking about and is now surprised at the sh*t editing. Simple as that.

Perhaps if you bother to continue reading, I also said that it doesn't excuse the bullying that he received as a result of said sh*tty editing.

 Ellie bean, on 07 October 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

How do you know so many! I’m acquainted with one big brother participant and that’s it, I must move in much duller circles

You're one better than me. I don't know anyone lol.

#37 Tokra

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

 Riotproof, on 07 October 2019 - 06:56 AM, said:

https://www.sbs.com....dustry-shake-up

I wonder how the first season people of Big Brother feel. Arguably they wouldn’t have had any insight into editing portraying them in a different light.

Just read this.

I've watched the music reality tv shows for years and always felt sad at how much they are put through and sometimes at a really young age.

Not sure I'd want my kids to be put through that. It doesn't seem worth it anymore. It may have been in the beginning, but not now.

#38 WaitForMe

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

 Heather11, on 07 October 2019 - 04:28 PM, said:

Yeh, I always figure they must have offered up something that the producers decide they can play on or edit.  Why are some people chosen to be the villian or be made to look bad and others not?  Is it the outspoken ones who happily divulge everything or talk about everyone?

Some people are socially awkward or in a highly emotional or pressured state out of their comfort zone or just simply aren't wordsmiths, then its all condensed down thanks to editing, making this one dimensional character.

I have never met anyone in real life as one dimensional as the characters they offer up on reality tv, whether they are a douche or a really lovely person, and thats the problem. Nobody is perfect or pure evil. Its a myth perpetuated by tv/movies.

#39 CallMeFeral

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

 Tokra, on 07 October 2019 - 05:31 PM, said:

Oh cut it out and stop looking for a fight. He was given advice by professionals, who knew what they were talking about and is now surprised at the sh*t editing. Simple as that. Perhaps if you bother to continue reading, I also said that it doesn't excuse the bullying that he received as a result of said sh*tty editing.  

Lol, Believe it or not I can think you're being unforgiving and victim blaming because it's my opinion, not a search for a fight. Everyone gets advice from everyone, frequently conflicting. The idea that because he didn't listen to ONE person we heard from, who advised him not to, that he is then to blame for what happened, is a harsh standard. Lets see how many of our own life decisions would hold up to that criteria.

#40 MessyJ

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

 CallMeFeral, on 07 October 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

Lol, Believe it or not I can think you're being unforgiving and victim blaming because it's my opinion, not a search for a fight. Everyone gets advice from everyone, frequently conflicting. The idea that because he didn't listen to ONE person we heard from, who advised him not to, that he is then to blame for what happened, is a harsh standard. Lets see how many of our own life decisions would hold up to that criteria.

But it was his boss wasn't it? And giving advice not just of one company, but of the entire industry he worked for. I guess the gamble of thinking he knew better than her when it came to what was best for his career did not pay off...

#41 Tokra

Posted 07 October 2019 - 09:59 PM

 CallMeFeral, on 07 October 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

Lol, Believe it or not I can think you're being unforgiving and victim blaming because it's my opinion, not a search for a fight. Everyone gets advice from everyone, frequently conflicting. The idea that because he didn't listen to ONE person we heard from, who advised him not to, that he is then to blame for what happened, is a harsh standard. Lets see how many of our own life decisions would hold up to that criteria.

He made a choice and it turned to sh*t. He has to take responsibility for his part in that. Doesn't mean he is a bad person. Just means he made a sh*t decision, against all advice. It's not victim blaming.

Victim blaming would be if I said that all the online bullying was his fault - which I expressly said was not his fault and not okay.

#42 Riotproof

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

Don’t we, the collective, take some responsibility for the culture that allows that bullying to thrive?

It’s not a one way street.

#43 Chocolate Addict

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:01 PM

A friend of mine applied for Great Australian bake off but because she had a registered business name and made the odd cake here and there she was considered professional :(  She was sad but her business is growing. :)

#44 IamOzgirl

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:40 AM

Yeah sorry, I still don't feel sorry for him.

He did not leave graciously. No one put words into his mouth and he belittled her feelings by saying she made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Being in the industry he knew better than most what he was doing going into it.

#45 seayork2002

Posted 09 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Someone in my baby group when DS was little was on Escape to the Country - there was a lot of filming for the little that was shown she said, she said a lot more about it to us but I forgot it.

I think she ended up buying one of the properties near to where we all lived but we lived in the town and they did live more rurally than us

#46 Chchgirl

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 07 October 2019 - 11:01 PM, said:

A friend of mine applied for Great Australian bake off but because she had a registered business name and made the odd cake here and there she was considered professional :(  She was sad but her business is growing. :)

I'd like to go on the Great British Bakeoff because Noel Fielding and I love that show..

But I'm geographically challenged and I can't bake!

#47 seayork2002

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:53 AM

View PostChchgirl, on 09 October 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

I'd like to go on the Great British Bakeoff because Noel Fielding and I love that show..

But I'm geographically challenged and I can't bake!

I used to watch Noel Fielding on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, he always make me laugh!

#48 Chchgirl

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:19 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 09 October 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:



I used to watch Noel Fielding on Never Mind the Buzzcocks, he always make me laugh!

Same, and the Mighty Boosh!

He's a good artist as well, he puts loads of his work on Instagram.

Plus his shirts give me life..

#49 Quick hedgehog

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

Quote

He did not leave graciously. No one put words into his mouth and he belittled her feelings by saying she made a mountain out of a mole hill.

Isn't this the point though?  That while he did say those words, it may have been in completely different circumstances than was depicted?

#50 wallofdodo

Posted 09 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

He said they had been standing there for 5 hours at that point. I would have said much worse!

Has anyone watched Unreal, it seems it is not that far fetched!

The first season was good, it went downhill after that!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.