WWYD with these eye test results? Update #34

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#26 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 06 October 2019 - 07:12 AM, said:

It was the puppy who got mine, left sitting on the book on the floor, beside the bed. Went to put them on and hey presto, no arms.  Went down the to shop next morning wearing my sunnies - must have looked really cool this middle aged woman wearing sunnies early morning in the middle of winter.

Optometrist said I was lucky - they usually go for the lenses, they're more chewy.

So OP, if you have a puppy, Keep Out Of Reach.

Our puppy ate the arm off DH’s glasses. Lol. They must be yummy.

Thanks to my pretty stable eyesight I now have 2 good pairs of glasses and 2 cheap pairs. Plenty of back ups.  I need some sunglasses actually, that can be next year’s purchase when my health insurance tops up again.

Edited by ~LemonMyrtle~, 06 October 2019 - 07:26 AM.

#27 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:32 PM

I've ordered the cheap ones from Specsavers, then I will look at ordering nice ones once I've confirmed that the correction is helping me (I suspect this will be the case; I've been overcompensating for my inability to focus for ages, and now that I'm aware of it, I can't stand it!!!).

Thank you for the warning about extra features and coatings. They did try to upsell me the night-glare ones, but I declined (phew).

Also, to answer PP's question, I don't have private health insurance.

Oh, my husband mentioned that a lot of nice brands are actually manufactured by a single company called Luxottica. I find this amusing. :D

(Edited for spelling)

Edited by DirtyStreetPie, 06 October 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#28 ytt

Posted 06 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

I went into Specsavers and asked to see their cheapest pair. I said I had a cataract and I would only have them maybe 6 months max before I have surgery and need a new reading script.

I walked out with bifocal lenses for $180 I think (or cheaper???) I said no to all 'upsell' that they are notorious for (now hearing tests they badger you to take!). I'm super happy with them, great script for reading and distance. I also had great comments that they looked nice. Best of all it really helps with my negative dysphotopsia - it's driving me absolutely batsh*t crazy and I hate it so much but apparently my brain will soon not see it :no2:  I had the surgery 10 months ago!!!

#29 MissMilla

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

I have 1.5 and 1.25, so a lot more than you. I do wear glasses to drive, because i have to legally. Other than that i never wear my glasses. I do see a difference in sight when i put them on obviously, but not a lot. I can do everything without them and i dont have any discomfort because of it.
Ive also had the same prescription for 16 years, so they arent getting worse.

#30 lozoodle

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:04 PM

I would, I can see fine but I got mine for eye strain. I had chronic headaches which cleared up within days.

#31 FloralArrangement

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:19 PM

Honestly go Zenni optical until your script gets complicated. It’s online,  I used them until I got multi focals

#32 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

I have a very mild script. I make sure when I renew my drivers license I don’t wear the glasses so it is not a requirement for driving, but I do feel more comfortable driving with them on.

My script has gone from 0.25/0.50 all the way up to 1.25/1.5 and then now back to 0.25/0.50 as I get closer to needed reading glasses.

I recently had my eyes retested and yes I am borderline needing for distance and reading. I wear my distance glasses when out and driving, but don’t wear at home. I try to read without my reading glasses, but wear them for reading at work.

#33 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:03 PM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 06 October 2019 - 05:32 PM, said:

Oh, my husband mentioned that a lot of nice brands are actually manufactured by a single company called Luxottica. I find this amusing. :D

Correct. Luxottica owns the licence for eyewear for  multiple popular brands including Ray-Ban, Oakley, Tiffany, Versace, Dolce & Gabbana, etc. They also own OPSM and Sunglass Hut, etc.

#34 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm currently wearing my new cheap glasses! The frames don't suit me well (I was with my son, so I hurriedly ordered the second pair I tried on hehe).

No one mentioned it at my appointments, but my prescription says I have a slight astigmatism (-0.25 in both eyes). I wonder if these lenses correct for that? I read somewhere that sometimes, they don't bother correcting for slight astigmatism. Don't know how true that is, though.

I picked these glasses up yesterday, and I was pretty upset because they appeared to make my vision worse! It felt as though I'd driven up a long winding road at high speed - dizzy and a bit sick. And I had such an awful headache.

I've been told that this is normal while you're adjusting to new glasses, but I was still worried.

Today is a bit better. They still feel awful when I look 3-4 metres away, but looking at this computer screen feels okay. They told me to come back on the weekend if I can't get used to them.

This just has to work out! There is definitely something 'off' about my eyesight, so I hope these glasses are the solution.

Thank you for all of your advice, PPs. :)

#35 wallofdodo

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Yep totally normal, and particularly if it is your first pair. If it hasn't settled down in maybe 3 or 4 days go back and get them to check the prescription

#36 MissBehaving

Posted 10 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

Your brains vision centre has to learn to stop making adjustments for your eyesight deficiency, it shouldn't take too long though.

I have astigmatism (can't remember the numbers) and it was amazing when I first got glasses how sharp and defined the world actually is. Especially at night when street lights used to be long streaks instead of defined patches of light!

#37 ExpatInAsia

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:13 PM

I would not necessarily get glasses for such a low script.

Many ophthalmologists are starting to laser eyes at differing strengths, especially for people in their forties, so one eye is good for distance and one for reading.

I have this and it does not give me headaches or make me drowsy. When looking at distance the distance eye takes over and the opposite for reading. It saves me having to have reading glasses.

If you are getting drowsy and having headaches I would be seeking further medical advice as it is not necessarily being caused by your vision. For that script many people don’t bother with glasses or laser surgery.

Edited by ExpatInAsia, 10 October 2019 - 06:14 PM.

#38 hellsmail

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:27 PM

I would take them back  If you cant see with them  properly when you first put them on I will bet anything they have the pupil distance wrong and thus you cant see properly.

I have been wearing glasses from the age of 7 for long distance with astigmatism, and from experience of people telling me to get used to them isnt right.
Glasses never have to be worn in  this was told to me when I was working at the national vision research institute by the head optometrist there.

if they are giving you headaches with the feeling of nausa take them back and get them rechecked.  

Also those cheap glasses from a chemist dont correct astigmatism and that could be why you are having trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.