WWYD with these eye test results? Update #34

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

Hello EB,

I've just had my eyes tested. The results are thus:

- left eye is slightly long-sighted (0.5)
- right eye is slightly short-sighted (0.25)

Is it worth getting glasses? Here are a few issues that may, or may not, be caused by my eyesight, but the optometrist couldn't be sure because the prescription is so small:

- I get drowsy on the freeway, every single time I drive on it. My husband's theory is that my eyes may be working too hard and making me seem sleepy (which is why I got them tested in the first place).

- I often blink to re-focus my eyes, because furniture that is a few metres away seems slightly out of focus. Until now, I had put this down to parental tiredness, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it's my eyes...?

- I get headaches quite often; sometimes multiple times in a week, sometimes not at all.

The optometrist wasn't at all emphatic that I need glasses. He left it up to me. I did notice, however, that the trial lenses he gave me made the tiny text on the test card look dark and thick and crisp!

What would you do in this situation? I'm a total noob here - my parents had good eyesight until 40+ (I'm 37) and my husband's prescription is so strong (in the 7s) that he has no experience of what it's like to have a mild prescription.

Any assistance you can offer me would be so helpful. :)

Edited by DirtyStreetPie, 10 October 2019 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Cheesy Sanga

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:22 PM

I'd get glasses. Maybe get a budget pair first to see if they help. Do you have private health extras?

#3 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

If its not a big issue to pay or you have health insurance that will cover most I'd get some and trial it.  If they help great, if they don't can go back to not using.

#4 mandala

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:25 PM

My prescription is that low, although I have bad astigmatism in one eye. I wear glasses even though I can manage fine without - otherwise my eyes get just so tired by the end of the day. It's subtle, but I get a bit cross and irritated when trying to read small text at night, or by the end of the day I'll be squinting at my monitor at work.

If I leave my glasses at home, no drama, I can drive fine without them too. It is just a little bit easier to wear them, and who doesn't want things easier? (Note, does not account for the not easy bits of trying to figure out where I put my glasses, or where I can find a clean glasses cloth!!)

#5 overlytired

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:31 PM

I'd correct it (glasses or contacts). You may not wear them all the time but it will make for more comfortable driving and fewer headaches (from less squinting).

#6 foxbread

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

I would get glasses since it seems to be giving you trouble - maybe the fact that both eyes are not either long or short sighted makes it worse? So while it's a mild prescription, that particular combination would make me want to at least try glasses for a while and see how you go.

#7 Staying Strange

Posted 05 October 2019 - 12:48 PM

I have a similar prescription (though both eyes slightly short sighted). I have glasses.... I use them when I need to (eyes getting sore, tired, long drive etc) and don't use them when I don't need them.

My eyes are getting better though.... My script is getting weaker each time I get my eyes tested for the last few years.

Just because you get glasses doesn't mean you have to wear them all the time.... Use them when you need to, they make a big difference at those times.

Good luck

#8 tenar

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

I'd get glasses.

As you get older, the chances are that both eyes will end up long sighted.  That happens to most people.

#9 BornToLove

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:23 PM

I agree, get the glasses. I wear a very light strength reading glasses (mostly at the computer) and it makes a huge difference. My eyes are less fatigued and focus better when I don’t need them (like driving).

#10 Baroness Bubbles

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:23 PM

Why not try a pair of specsavers $39 glasses for a couple weeks? Then you'll know which way is best for you

#11 Jenflea

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:37 PM

I'd get the glasses but I've been wearing them since 5th grade and to me they are essential.

#12 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:42 PM

Get a cheap-assed pair and try them, see how you like them. My eyes are opposites I think, one is definitely worse than the other. And it makes focusing hard because your eyes are constantly fighting each other. Definitely makes me feel tired.

If you have the script from the optometrist you can get really cheap glasses online.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

I'd get glasses, too.

Can't add any more than others have said.

When your eyes are working hard to do what they need to do, it's tiring.

I've worn glasses of various descriptions since early 20s.  Not long ago, I found that I could read all day on the internet without my eyes getting tired.  Read all day though?  Keeping in mind I now have bifocal reading glasses - one for straight ahead (computer), one for reading.

Ophthalmic surgeon BIL said that by nature, we're designed to be looking forward most of the day, but we're not designed to be looking down (as in reading) all day, so my eyes get tired doing one, not the other.

Your eyes may also be trying to do something 'against nature', so give the glasses a go.

#14 Mooples

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:45 PM

My prescription is quite weak too but makes a huge difference when I’m driving. I’d get the glasses.

#15 **Xena**

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:02 PM

I buy cheap glasses and contacts online at clearly contacts :)

#16 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 05 October 2019 - 02:24 PM

Thank you for your responses! It seems we are all in agreement! I'll go to Specsavers and ask for that cheap pair of glasses. That's where I had my testing done, and I have to go back anyway, because I neglected to ask for a copy of my results.

I wish I had known about cheap glasses when my mum was alive - she once came home with Dolce and Gabbana glasses, and we spent months (maybe years) joking about how fancy they were. There's no way she would have spent that amount if she had known there were cheaper options...

Thank you again. I'll update when I've tried the glasses out!

(As an aside, the allergy appointment I've waited two months for is finally happening next week, so I'll update that thread too!)

#17 Jenflea

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Heh, I know about cheaper options and I still own a pair of Versace frames.

I wanted Tiffany ones but they didn't suit me.
I'm happy to go to my local privately owned and run optometrist where I get good service and REALLY good lenses compared to Zenni or Specsavers.

#18 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:45 PM

Jenflea, on 05 October 2019 - 03:11 PM, said:

Heh, I know about cheaper options and I still own a pair of Versace frames.

I wanted Tiffany ones but they didn't suit me.
I'm happy to go to my local privately owned and run optometrist where I get good service and REALLY good lenses compared to Zenni or Specsavers.

She did indeed love the D&Gs hehe! And we loved that she owned them, because she wasn't in the habit of buying expensive things for herself. I do suspect, though, that she wasn't made aware of other options...

We shall see if they manage to talk me into nicer frames lol.

Heading over there now...

#19 BornToLove

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

Just be careful with spec savers. Their coatings for stuff like anti glare and UV light is very poor quality. I got a pair of cheap glasses from them and I couldn’t wear them because the coatings actually made my eye strain and fatigue worse. They also had this green haze so you couldn’t actually see my eye. It was bizarre and they refused to acknowledge the coatings were an issue. I had to pay out of pocket for an independent optical place to replace the lenses.

Edited by BornToLove, 05 October 2019 - 03:51 PM.

#20 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

yeah, if you just want a cheap pair to try, dont let them up sell you on lens coatings, thin lenses, scratch proof lenses, etc.  just get the cheapest lenses they offer and get fancy ones later.  Even the cheapest lenses last if yout take care of them (and dont let 3 year olds anywhere near them...grrrrr...that child cost me $200)

#21 jayskette

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Do you have astigmatism too? 0.5 and 0.25 is hardly bad

#22 FloralArrangement

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

Order online Zenni optical for such a mild prescription and yes I think you should get them.

#23 ytt

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:09 PM

One of my eyes is better than 20/20 and I have glasses....

I have them because I had a cataract operation at the beginning of the year and I've had complications. The glasses stop the complications.

Sadly I'm seeing a rapid deterioration of my other eye cataract :( I'm not going to cope if this happens again :(  The cataract that was operated on only took a few months to develop - very rare.

#24 GreenEgg

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:23 AM

I'd get the glasses just to see if it made a difference, especially as it is different issues in each eye.

When you get a copy of your prescription make sure you ask them to measure your PD (pupillary distance) because it isn't on your script and  you will need it if you decide to order on line.

Hope the glasses help!

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 06 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

~LemonMyrtle~, on 05 October 2019 - 03:58 PM, said:

yeah, if you just want a cheap pair to try, dont let them up sell you on lens coatings, thin lenses, scratch proof lenses, etc.  just get the cheapest lenses they offer and get fancy ones later.  Even the cheapest lenses last if yout take care of them (and dont let 3 year olds anywhere near them...grrrrr...that child cost me $200)

It was the puppy who got mine, left sitting on the book on the floor, beside the bed. Went to put them on and hey presto, no arms.  Went down the to shop next morning wearing my sunnies - must have looked really cool this middle aged woman wearing sunnies early morning in the middle of winter.

Optometrist said I was lucky - they usually go for the lenses, they're more chewy.

So OP, if you have a puppy, Keep Out Of Reach.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.