Doll Houses- what to consider?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MsLaurie

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:06 PM

Miss nearly-5 seems to love playing with doll houses at Kinder and at friends’ places, and always checks them out at the toy shop.
So, thinking this will work for a birthday gift (& maybe ask the grandparents to furnish it!), but not sure what to look for-
With a door front or open?
With or without stairs?
How many levels?
What furnishings are important?

She usually takes good care of her things, but her baby sister will very soon be a toddler so that’s a factor in terms of required durability!

Suggestions? Recommendations? Things to definitely avoid?

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:16 PM

Have you thought of Sylvanian Families?  They are quite durable and have doors that open, stairs, working lights as well as cute little animals.

My DS5 loves his "Meow House" and they were very good for his pretend play.

#3 BornToLove

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:23 PM

DD loves a good doll house, she’s 9.5 and still can be found playing with hers (got it when she was 2).

I think it could be a series of boxes sticky taped together, but as long as it has furniture and a few dolls, she would be happy with it. My only advice is get something durable and try to kit it out as much as you can (and yes, have grandparents and relatives help out in this regard).

#4 Jenflea

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

I wouldn't do Sylvanian Families if there's a baby in the house.

SO MANY tiny things in those sets!

I bought DD the Le Toy Van (one of anyway) dolls house from Peters of Kensington a few years ago. It's 3 levels and the roof comes off.

I'd go a sturdy wood, 2 levels, you can get good furniture and dolls from Kmart and Aldi these days.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:41 PM

The tiny things I have found are in small bags. When we got them we took these out and put them away.

#6 Charli73

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:43 PM

I found a wooden one with furniture on marketplace for $45, 3 stories and big enough for her Barbie dolls so she could use them in it.

Something to think about if she loves Barbie. I’m sure you don’t have to spend a lot.

#7 rosie28

Posted 26 September 2019 - 05:44 PM

We have a Le Toy Van one my MIL described as a “starter” dolls house. It has two levels, a roof that opens etc. We’ve added a car for the family and a cat and dog as pets. It gets a workout!

#8 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:13 PM

Check out Kmart. They have a range of wooden doll houses. And you can repaint, glue up scrapbooking paper etc to redecorate if you don't like the colour scheme. At Kmart prices you won't feel bad doing that. They do also have a small range of furniture but you could just buy the Slyvanian Families/Calico critters furniture sets to decorate with.

#9 BeAwesome

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

My kids had a KidKraft wooden one, that was 3 stories.  I thought it was cool, but neither of my girls ended up liking playing with dolls, so it only typically got used when other kids were visiting.

#10 EmmDasher

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:35 PM

Think about the cost and availability of all the furniture. Some of them have odd scales and you’re locked into a really expensive brand. My girls have my old wooden one and the only compatible and readily available furniture was Sylvanian families.

If I was choosing from scratch I’d get a really simple wooden one from Kmart/ikea and very basic furniture items. Too many pieces is overwhelming.

#11 Grrrumbles

Posted 26 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

We have a Kidcraft one (pre loved) furnished with KMart Wooden Furniture. Our Little Shops live there too so the baby doll has nappies and the dog has dog food.

It gets a little use but not enough to spend hundreds on. It sits directly on the floor so does get dusty too - factor in cleaning staircases and bannisters if you get a fancy one.

#12 seayork2002

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

My dad made me one I wanted a plain one so I move the rooms around myself, no doors for me

#13 laridae

Posted 26 September 2019 - 08:59 PM

We have a big open one for barbie sized dolls which came with furniture and a number of Sylvanian families ones.
The Sylvanian families get played with a lot more and take up less room.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

Can I please jump on your thread to ask

Are there any Barbie suitable doll houses that are not ginormous?

#15 *Melstar*

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:22 PM

We love our Sylvanian Families stuff. And we got it when there was a baby in the house. Kinda like anything, just have to manage access to it!

The quality of Sylvanian F stuff is good. Prices are decent too. There's always sales around on it, especially at online stores. Plus anyone can contribute. We now have two houses, two cars, about 15 different animals, decorations, accessories, furniture... collected across four years so far, Christmas and birthdays. It definitely gets played with still, at age 8. I can see it lasting for quite a while longer too.

#16 Ayr

Posted 27 September 2019 - 02:40 PM

We had several kinds both wooden and plastic and found the fisher price one the best. We bought a set for each room and the people and it was done. It got the most use and was very sturdy.

#17 Little Bean

Posted 27 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

We have lots of Sylvanian Families stuff too, it is loved by both DD and DS. I find it is a good scale for lots of smaller dolls including, if your daughter is into them or gets into them, LOL Surprise.
DD also has a Kmart dollhouse but it gets less use than the Sylvanians ones.
She did have a huge Barbie dreamhouse she got when she was about 3 but it didn't get a lot of use, despite her being very into Barbie at the time. I think it's because all the Barbie stuff is much bigger, the smaller sets are a good fit for small hands.

#18 Riotproof

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

Just stumbled on this and thought I’d share. Very good value for dolls house furniture I think. https://cleverstuff....ture-set-26-pce No experience was just browsing.

#19 MsLaurie

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:21 PM

Thanks for input everyone!
Thinking i’ll go with one of the ones that close, so it looks a bit neater when not in use.
Also thinking i’ll divide the rooms up between the grandparents so one can buy kitchen & bedrooms, the other lounge & bathroom. Will give them something to hunt down and reduce the number of other presents!!

#20 aprilrainatxmas

Posted 29 September 2019 - 10:27 PM

Instead of a doll's house that fits Barbies I'd go with this

https://www.target.c...-trade/60536396

My daughter had a previous issue 2nd hand one  and basically played with it like a dollhouse with Barbies and Monster High dolls.

I did buy a small doll's house at some stage which was fine and got lots of use.

I also bought  one of these from Big W massively marked down. Barely got played with. It was just too big.
I think I left it too late too. I really thought she would play with it until about 12 but 9/10yo all over!
https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B00G95RLUW

For a big one go secondhand. If it's ends up being not flash enough it will be easy to sell and upgrade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.