FYOS 2020

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#51 theboys2

Posted 10 October 2019 - 10:04 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 29 September 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

At what age do you teach them to iron their own shirts?

my eldest is in year 2 - and i havent ironed his school shirt once!

he has a formal uniform as well - no ironing necessary in my opinion.

Wash, fling wildly to get creases out and hang on a coat hanger to dry.

much easier than ironing !

#52 caninestorm

Posted 11 October 2019 - 03:56 PM

Hi all! My DS starts next year, he was 5 in April.

Our school operates a little differently to most. He's currently at the preschool there and they have done a lot of low key transition so we don't have to do specific "visits" or anything. Currently the school has two learning communities which are K-2 and 3-6, and learning is interest and ability based rather than in aged classes. It may differ a bit next year as our year is a large cohort but the premise will be the same. The individual students are all known already by the Principal and Deputy, and the K-2 teachers should also know them all by the end of this year. It's all pretty cool.

He still goes to daycare as well so it will be a big change for him mainly with friendship groups as they are mainly going to different schools. He has some lovely little friends so that will be sad for us all.

#53 Catzilla

Posted 11 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

DD’s first transition visit isn’t until the 11th of November.

#54 gracie1978

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:56 AM

Had our parents orientation yesterday.  His orientation starts next week.

Came out of it 100% happy that we had made the right choice.

There will be 13 kids in the kinder class, which will be amazing.  No chance that our quirky special poppet will get left behind.

Going to buy some uniform items tomorrow.
School bag, lunch box, drink bottle are all organised.  Thankfully there is no stationary list, they share everything and we contribute financially to supplies.

#55 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:32 AM

13 kids?? That’s amazing. Our school will likely have classes in the 30s :( it’s the one thing I’m worried about. They have the biggest class sizes in our area, they are victims of their own success. Too many enrolments, not enough classrooms.

I’m heading to the uniform shop next week hopefully. I forgot about school bags, wonder if they sell one.

#56 Hands Up

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

Our school (and possibly state, not sure) have a maximum class size of 20 in kindy. At orientation they said they are looking at 5 classes of 17-18 kids which I think is pretty amazing.

DS starts his orientation mornings next week. He’s already in a flap about it, poor kid.

#57 MissBehaving

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

Our school has bags but they're $45! I need to get a good look at one and see whether the quality is worth the price over a Kmart one.

We had a 1 on 1 interview last week to check a range of skills (writing name, scissor holding, describing what's happening in a picture etc).

Visited the Uniform shop to check sizes and DD loved it. Made her look so grown up too! I am definitely not getting the school socks but will get the hat and maybe the bag.

We have around $85 of stationery to get and the Uniform (excluding winter items) will be about $260, I'm starting to put away a little each week and will buy the week before school starts in case there are any growth spurts.

Eta: 13 is such a great small class size. 25 is the target for FYOS classes in our state and our school had an average of 23 last reporting year. But this is actually far less than she has at Kindy where they have up to 42 kids in the same room.

Edited by MissBehaving, 18 October 2019 - 07:34 AM.

#58 gracie1978

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

We are lucky our friends bought him a lovely smiggle bag last year which he can use.

A lot of our uniform can be bought at Best n less for half the price.  I'll start with that, as anything I get now will be too small for term 4 anyway.

#59 Catzilla

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:24 AM

I think there’ll be something like 22 in DD’s Foundation class next year.  She has her school readiness assessment next Thursday morning, but I’m not worried about that. I’m not sure whether to bother visiting the uniform shop with her to get a polo shirt or something she can wear to her orientation mornings when they start in a few weeks.

#60 gracie1978

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

View PostCatzilla, on 18 October 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

I think there’ll be something like 22 in DD’s Foundation class next year.  She has her school readiness assessment next Thursday morning, but I’m not worried about that. I’m not sure whether to bother visiting the uniform shop with her to get a polo shirt or something she can wear to her orientation mornings when they start in a few weeks.

That didn't even occur to me, I just assumed they were in mufti next week.

#61 Hands Up

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:42 AM

Yeah me too. We don’t have uniforms yet and I don’t plan to buy until January!

#62 Riotproof

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 18 October 2019 - 09:30 AM, said:

That didn't even occur to me, I just assumed they were in mufti next week.

It is certainly not expected at our school. They aren’t students yet, and you don’t actually want them to blend in with the general student population.

#63 Catzilla

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:29 PM

It’s not expected, but you can if you would like to at DD’s school. I probably won’t in the end but it was just a thought.

Edited by Catzilla, 18 October 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#64 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostCatzilla, on 18 October 2019 - 08:24 AM, said:

Our school gave every kid that enrolled a special t-shirt to wear just for orientation.  Its such a lovely idea. Helps the teachers keep tack of them too.  Its just a big one-size-fits all blue t-shirt with a logo on it and some sort of "new kid" slogan on it.

#65 newmumandexcited

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

How many shirts and shorts do you get for your boys? Like two of each?

#66 Riotproof

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:56 PM

Yes. Plus sports uniform.

#67 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 18 October 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

Our school has polos. I’ll probably buy 5 polos, 2 shorts, 1 long pants, and another 1 or two long pants come winter. Jumper and jacket. Maybe 2 jumpers.

I do laundry once or twice a week, so we need lots of t-shirts.

#68 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

From a parent of a 2019 prep. I brought 3 school branded polos of both long and shirt sleeve, so have one mid week wash plus I brought a generic Target polo ls and ss which goes in the school bag for accidents along with spare pants and undies.
Buy all your sweatpants at the start of the year, especially if you only have a Target or Big W nearby as they are not great at restocking mid year. Best and Less are better with stock, but if you are like me and 3 schools all wear green nearby, it becomes a bun fight to get sizes in the right colour. Oh and for some reason, kids fall over or slide around on the floor and wear holes in the knees- even double knee pants. DS has gone through 8 pairs this year.
Buy 2 hats, one for the head and one for the bag.
If the school does a bag and it's good quality- buy it. 80% of the kids will have it and it will last longer than a cheapy from Kmart and you as an adult will most likely be carrying it so don't worry about the size.

#69 MissBehaving

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Our sports uniform polo is patterned so cannot get a non-school one. :( Thanks for the tip on getting the winter stuff early!

#70 iwanttosleepin

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:49 PM

went to prep open day yesterday.  usually our school has 35-40 preppies.  

2020 already has 43 enrolled which is huge for our rural school.

Not sure what they will do as it is likely that there will be too many for 2 classes.  there are only 2 prep classrooms in the school.  so maybe they will end up with a prep/1 class or even 3 prep classes.

My little many would be actually quite happy in a prep/1 class as all of his best friends from daycare started this year while due to his age he has to wait.  while his language and social skills were/are well ahead of most 6 year olds his academic skills are decidedly 5 year old.  but he has missed his old friends so much this year. (our daycare is across the road from the school).

looking at the other preppies he looks so big and mature.

#71 PrincessPeach

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:02 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 18 October 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

From a parent of a 2019 prep. I brought 3 school branded polos of both long and shirt sleeve, so have one mid week wash plus I brought a generic Target polo ls and ss which goes in the school bag for accidents along with spare pants and undies.
Buy all your sweatpants at the start of the year, especially if you only have a Target or Big W nearby as they are not great at restocking mid year. Best and Less are better with stock, but if you are like me and 3 schools all wear green nearby, it becomes a bun fight to get sizes in the right colour. Oh and for some reason, kids fall over or slide around on the floor and wear holes in the knees- even double knee pants. DS has gone through 8 pairs this year.
Buy 2 hats, one for the head and one for the bag.
If the school does a bag and it's good quality- buy it. 80% of the kids will have it and it will last longer than a cheapy from Kmart and you as an adult will most likely be carrying it so don't worry about the size.

Echoing most of this, except winter stuff is state dependant. Im in qld & its almost impossible to buy a jumper here in January.

We also dont have a winter uniform, so i bought 3 new school polo's & sourced 3 secondhand.

Also something that was mentioned by our teacher at the start of this year is to put a spare pair of undies & a small plastic bag (or wetbag) in their backpack. The school doesnt have spare undies if they have an accident.

Edited by PrincessPeach, 18 October 2019 - 09:03 PM.

#72 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:20 PM

Getting a school uniform hat will be fun, hope they come in extra large for my boof head son

#73 Heather11

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:35 PM

Our school has bags but they're $45! I need to get a good look at one and see whether the quality is worth the price over a Kmart one.

If they are the Spartan brand or similar then definitely worth the price.

My youngest had his for the whole of his primary schooling.

The oldest decided in year 5 she wanted a different bag. Went through at least two during the remaining years.

Middle child changed schools from year 5 and so went with a different bag.  Once again went through at least two of the kmart/big w bags.

#74 Hands Up

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:57 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 18 October 2019 - 06:41 PM, said:

I would have thought three of each minimum. DH does the washing in our house and he definitely doesn’t wash every day.

#75 Catzilla

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

I was thinking of getting 3 of some of the uniform items for DD like the polo shirt, so there's one to wear, one to wash, and a spare. f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.