FYOS 2020

• Please log in to reply
251 replies to this topic

#226 caninestorm

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 21 February 2020 - 03:15 PM, said:

Crombek, one thing our teacher emphasized is that loys of children can read to a high level, but they don’t have the comprehension ability to understand what is actually happening.

Teachers do tend to emphasise this, but most early readers I know have excellent comprehension.

#227 Crombek

Posted 21 February 2020 - 03:28 PM

It depends on the type of comprehension too. Literal comprehension tends to be high in early readers, but inferential comprehension (using text to determine deeper meaning than explicitly stated) can lag.  Often because the kids don't yet have the world experience or are not developmentally able to make sense of it.

#228 Riotproof

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Exactly, Crombek. They say it so people don’t get obsessive over reading levels, but they still do.

#229 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:14 PM

DS missed the last two days of school cause he is sick. That didn’t take long. Thought he might catch a few things when he started school. Poor guy was so sad at missing school, he really wanted to go.

I have no idea what reading level my son is. Is that something only certain states test? No idea whether they have tested my son. He has done a lot of testing, but they don’t tell us what it’s for or what they scored yet. Maybe we never get to know.

#230 Riotproof

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

Lm the readers all have a level. Different brands have different numbers, I remember that being confusing, but there are conversion charts around. My school seems to do it in a very different way in that they group levels together by colour. So, DD’s reader has a red dot on it. It’s alpha kids plus level 1. I don’t know if there is another level covered in red, possibly not.

#231 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Ah, we have coloured dogs on the pack? Maybe that’s code for something. I just assumed all the kids had the same, but maybe not.

Really must help DS read this weeks ones before Monday! Oops. Hope DS is better with keeping track of homework than I am.

#232 Catzilla

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

DD only got her first reader at the beginning of the week, and she's still on level 1; but she'll get there in her own time.  She's on to her third pack of five "tricky" words to learn though.  Homework at this stage is just working on the reading and the "tricky" words.  Next week I think they'll add back in revising or learning new letter sounds.

#233 Riotproof

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

View Post~LemonMyrtle~, on 21 February 2020 - 04:41 PM, said:

Ah, we have coloured dogs on the pack? Maybe that’s code for something. I just assumed all the kids had the same, but maybe not.

Really must help DS read this weeks ones before Monday! Oops. Hope DS is better with keeping track of homework than I am.

It’s likely they are in the first few weeks anyway. Ime, it’s unusual to be reading before going to school. It does change at an individual pace later on.

#234 caninestorm

Posted 03 March 2020 - 12:11 PM

How is everyone going?

#235 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:22 PM

View Postcaninestorm, on 03 March 2020 - 12:11 PM, said:

How is everyone going?

I’m exhausted! And tired and no idea what day it is or what I’m meant to be doing.

DS is fine, loves school, loves everything about school. Loves sport and music and library and icypole Fridays, and just everything is amazing and fun for him.

#236 Catzilla

Posted 03 March 2020 - 01:57 PM

DD is enjoying school.  She reckons her favourite subjects are maths, music, art, sport and "tablet time" (information and communication technologies).  She just this morning was put up a level on her readers, and is progressing nicely with learning her "tricky words".

#237 MissBehaving

Posted 03 March 2020 - 06:54 PM

DD is doing really well, loving class and OOSHC. The Grosby school shoes have come apart and need replacing, maybe I should have gone with $100+ shoes!

#238 Hands Up

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:46 PM

DS is loving it. Wants to know why he can’t go to oosh with all his friends. Ummm Daddy didn’t take a massive pay cut to work school hours so that you can go to oosh buddy!

#239 sandshoes

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:30 PM

My DS likes school and talks about his day walking out of school. The first 10minutes everyday is a meltdown crying match. Bothered me that much ive cut short my annual leave and going back to work early.

I hope it gets better. Took 2 terms at kindy to just stop crying.

#240 Crombek

Posted 03 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

Ds2 is d.o.n.e. I thinks it's really settled in that this is it for a very long time. And he wants canteen money and doesn't understand why he can't have it every day. And doesn't understand why we can't have our Tuesday sushi lunch dste anymore. He's fine when he's at school but he was certainly not the only kid lying down for a bit at Aussie Hoops training this afternoon 😂

#241 Riotproof

Posted 07 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

It’s 9 am and she is still asleep.

#242 Hands Up

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:02 AM

Yeah my DS is having catch up naps on Saturday and Sunday each weekend. Friday nights are ugly and we are reduced to nuggets, chips, tv and bed to make it as painless as possible for us all!

He is still loving it though, and is starting to make some new friends beyond his daycare buddies.

#243 Riotproof

Posted 07 March 2020 - 08:08 AM

I’ve started feeding her early, because shower time and bedtime is a like just a roller coaster of emotions. She finds it hard to get to sleep but if I leave it any later she is just overcome.

#244 newmumandexcited

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

Is anyone so upset that the schools are likely to close? I feel sad about it - he was just starting to enjoy it and there were all these events coming up..

I know in the scheme of things but I’m so disappointed.

#245 PuddingPlease

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:31 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 15 March 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

Is anyone so upset that the schools are likely to close? I feel sad about it - he was just starting to enjoy it and there were all these events coming up..

Yeah I'm right there with you. I suspect it is the right decision but I'm very disappointed for my daughter who loves going to school and only started doing full weeks a few weeks ago.

#246 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

View Postnewmumandexcited, on 15 March 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

Yes. DS has a snotty nose (just a cold) so I said he may have to stay home tomorrow, and he was so sad! He said “but I need to get my readers, and my new sentence!” He doesn’t want to miss anything. He will be so sad if school closes. And even worse, we probably won’t even be able to have play dates with his friends.

#247 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:38 PM

View PostPuddingPlease, on 15 March 2020 - 08:31 PM, said:

Yeah I'm right there with you. I suspect it is the right decision but I'm very disappointed for my daughter who loves going to school and only started doing full weeks a few weeks ago.

In Victoria it’s been such a short term for the preps too. They only just started full weeks and it’s only 2 weeks until holidays. It would be such a shame to have more disruption.

Can’t be helped, I know, but it’s sad

#248 PuddingPlease

Posted 21 March 2020 - 02:03 AM

I know it's ridiculous but I've been really struggling with all of this in the last few days. My daughter has missed most of the last two weeks with a chest infection and with everything swirling around I have not idea when she will get to settle back into school, particularly since the holidays start in a week.

I keep getting teary about it, which I do understand is a bit silly but I really wanted to be able to give her a good start to her schooling and suddenly it's a time of massive change and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up.

#249 Riotproof

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:57 AM

Can you send an email to her teacher?

I know it feels a bit overwhelming but it’s better to be home when she’s sick.
Do they have a reading eggs subscription? Mathletics? Maybe you could do some of those with her.

My dd was home yesterday and she watched alpha locks and number jacks on you tube.

#250 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 21 March 2020 - 09:28 AM

They just annoiunced a curriculum day for friday, so DS only has 4 days of school left!  That makes me want to cry.  I just cant see term 2 hapening.  And he has made so many friends.

ill have to work out some way for him to face time his friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.