FYOS 2020

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:05 AM

Who’s got someone going to school next year?

I’m just a filling out a form from our school and it’s asking what my expectations of FYOS? Weird.

#2 PizzaPlease

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

That's a weird question, we have done a couple of transition sessions already but the only forms I had to fill out were the ones for enrolment.

If I were a cheekier soul I would be tempted to list increased opportunities for daytime drinking as an expectation but it might not be the wisest option. :D

#3 MissBehaving

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

Me!

Nothing like that on the enrolment forms I had to fill out, thankfully, I hate those questions enough from childcare.

I'd be tempted to say "My expectations are that you will provide what is detailed in the approved curriculum for our state/country"

I have just enrolled her in the OOSHC for her school as it was pointed out childcare will cease at the end of the year so she will need to start attending in January before actual school starts.

Edited by babylove69, 26 September 2019 - 11:28 AM.

#4 elly35

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

I do! No questions on expectations but I have done other forms. Number 2 so I think I have an idea of what we are all in for. Will be strange having the preschool years over

#5 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:32 AM

babylove69, on 26 September 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Me!

Nothing like that on the enrolment forms I had to fill out, thankfully, I hate those questions enough from childcare.

I'd be tempted to say "My expectations are that you will provide what is detailed in the approved curriculum for our state/country" .

You should see the list of skills and whether they do it not yet, sometimes or consistently.

I was tempted to say the curriculum but I thought it was a but snarky.

#6 Lunafreya

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:45 AM

Me! My son will be in the special class at the local primary school.

He has special needs and still will need support FYOS.

I know they have things soon for transition

He's very excited to go to big school. He's ready this year, wasn't last year.

My new place makes it easier for me to drop him at school. I will do it on the way to work.

#7 MissBehaving

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:13 PM

Riotproof, on 26 September 2019 - 11:32 AM, said:

You should see the list of skills and whether they do it not yet, sometimes or consistently.

I was tempted to say the curriculum but I thought it was a but snarky.

In Qld, kindy does a report up at the end of the year and sends it to the school, they don't trust the parents to be honest hehe

I've been told DD is at the lowest level for emotional regulation and autonomy, so will likely struggle.

The school has sent someone (Not sure of title) to kindy to establish a relationship with my DD to help her transition due to this.

I would love to go buy the cute-as uniform now but DD is having big growth spurts so I can't risk it.

#8 bec578

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

babylove69, on 26 September 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Me!

I have just enrolled her in the OOSHC for her school as it was pointed out childcare will cease at the end of the year so she will need to start attending in January before actual school starts.

Both our children have attended in January & it's been great for them to get used to the staff & the building etc while it's more relaxed & less kids than during term time

#9 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:43 PM

babylove69, on 26 September 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

In Qld, kindy does a report up at the end of the year and sends it to the school, they don't trust the parents to be honest hehe

They do that too!

It seems to have really become so much more thorough in 5 years.

#10 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

I do. I had to answer the same question. I left it pretty vague, think I said something like “learn to read and write and make some friends and play”

#11 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:52 PM

Ha! My answer was almost exactly the same.

Except for play I put “have fun”.

#12 qak

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 26 September 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

I’m just a filling out a form from our school and it’s asking what my expectations of FYOS? Weird.

What are you going to write? (you're being judged on your answer!)

#13 Riotproof

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

I wrote learning to read, write and numeracy plus make friends and have fun.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

View Postbabylove69, on 26 September 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

Me!

I'd be tempted to say "My expectations are that you will provide what is detailed in the approved curriculum for our state/country"

Why would childcare cease? Surely it’s up to you when your end date is. And give the 2 weeks notice or whatever it is. Unless your child turns 6, or whatever the maximum age limit is at your centre.

#15 MissBehaving

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:21 PM

Admittedly I haven't asked at the daycare but a work colleague got caught out because their centre wouldn't enrol kids headed to school that year.

Maybe because in the area, almost every school is large enough to have their own OOSH care.

#16 Grrrumbles

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

My youngest is FYOS next year but because she is already at Preschool at the same school, no paperwork.

It will be a big change for us with her starting 5 days a week, up until now she has always had one weekday at home with my partner.

#17 Clementinerose

Posted 26 September 2019 - 01:57 PM

I’ve got one starting next year. I’m really looking forward to it for him. He is older, will turn 6 at the start of the year but I finally feel happy that I made that decision for him. He has made some lovely friends at kindy that will go to school with him. He was very impulsive at the start of the year but has gained some more self-control this year

#18 Hands Up

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

Me! DS1 has some fine and gross motor issues so we are in preparation mode with lots of little exercises we try to weave into the day. He’s not the most resilient of kids but he’s always made friends easily so I hope he’s ok! He’s super excited.

#19 Allegra99

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

Yep my DD2 is starting. She is a December baby, and will likely be one of the younger kids (we are in Vic), so hoping she goes ok. Hopefully having her big sister at the school will help.

#20 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:32 PM

My youngest is off to school. She is more then ready and I can't wait for the boredom tantrums to stop. She can already read basic novels and basic maths and is so bored at kindy.

#21 Catzilla

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:00 AM

DD is off to school next year.  The cut off in SA is the 30th of April, and DD was born in June, so if she'd been born just 5 weeks earlier, she'd be at school now.  I asked her what she was looking forward to about school, and she said playing in the playground.  The school she's going to is right across the road from our place.  I keep joking that if she's ever running late, we'll get the catapult out into the front yard, and use it to throw her over the fence. :p  She has a school readiness assessment on the 24th of October, and then orientation sessions on the 11th, 18th, and 25th of November (and at the last one they have a teddy bear's picnic at recess time).  DD reckons she will be in the "learning" Reception (or Foundation, or Kindergarten, or whatever other states call it) class, instead of the regular one.

#22 MsLaurie

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

My big girl is off to school next year too. We dithered a bit about repeating 4yo kinder (she is not 5 until the end of November & we’re in Vic) as she has language and social issues, but both of those have been coming on in leaps and bounds since we started doing weekly speech therapy, and on all other markers she seems ready for school, so fingers crossed!! She has already done two one-hour sessions at the school and seemed to enjoy it.
Not looking forward to the school hours juggle though!!

#23 Popper

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:38 PM

My youngest is also starting next year. She is beyond ready and excited! We have orientation sessions starting next month and fortunately she has made some close friends who will be making the transition with her.

I am also looking forward to no more boredom complaints. She actually said to me this week that she is bored at home with me on her non preschool days.

I am also noticing that not much tires her anymore. Preschool, extra curricular, play dates, etc, don't even seem to make a difference.

Literacy and numeracy has also taken off these last 6 months so it will be great to have the pressure taken off me to fit in her desire to learn with PT work and running the house. Bring it on!

#24 iwanttosleepin

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

My youngest starts next year.  He was 5 in August.  He’s so ready that kindy is becoming a struggle.  All his friends went to school this year.

#25 Navy Blue

Posted 28 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

DS4 starts next year, my youngest.

He'll be 5 and a bit. I don't know if it's just a youngest child thing but he doesn't seem ready (or I don't more to the point!)

He is great with older kids and adults but struggles a bit with peers his age.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.