Drawing up a Will

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Rockwiz

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:45 AM

I need some recommendations on where to go to have a Will drawn up? I live south side but assume I'll need to go into the City for this? Also any idea on a rough estimate of the cost? It should be a standard will with nothing complicated?

#2 yayool1

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

I am not very familiar with these sorts of things, but did have to arrange a power of attorney, enduring power of attorney and Will for my mum recently.  The Will was extremely short.  It cost around $1400 and we did it through a lawyer.  Hope this helps.

#3 Mands09

Posted 25 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

Campbell and co lawyers in deakin. We got wills and power of attorneys done but I’m sorry I can’t recall how much it cost. Mid range I think from memory ringing around at the time. Not cheapest but not the most expensive.

#4 Rockwiz

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:33 PM

So is the power of attorney done separately from the Will itself and is an added cost?

View PostMands09, on 25 September 2019 - 12:57 PM, said:

Campbell and co lawyers in deakin. We got wills and power of attorneys done but I’m sorry I can’t recall how much it cost. Mid range I think from memory ringing around at the time. Not cheapest but not the most expensive.
Thanks for this.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 25 September 2019 - 01:47 PM

Yes, POA is separate.  You have medical and/or financial POA, too.

You say your will is straightforward, so you POA hopefully also will be.

Just remember once your kids become adults to add them in to your POAs.   We were chatting to  Medicare lady one day about my MIL, who said we'd be surprised at the number who don't give their adult children POA.  Oops, that would be us. We went and did it.

#6 Rockwiz

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 September 2019 - 01:47 PM, said:

Yes, POA is separate.  You have medical and/or financial POA, too.

You say your will is straightforward, so you POA hopefully also will be.

Just remember once your kids become adults to add them in to your POAs.   We were chatting to  Medicare lady one day about my MIL, who said we'd be surprised at the number who don't give their adult children POA.  Oops, that would be us. We went and did it.
B.a.G, yes i'm assuming it's straight forward. It should have been done years ago but we've been slack. Actually I tried years ago to get it done but DH was the one dragging the chain. I'm not even sure whether to do POAs yet. Should I do this now too? I had thought about adding the kids as Executor's (and eventually POA's) once they become adults.

#7 AuntyJJJ

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

My will was really tricky but I got the lot done by private lawyers in my suburb for $500

Then they forgot and we went OS without a Will, so to apologise they threw in POA and Guardianship for free

#8 born.a.girl

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 25 September 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

B.a.G, yes i'm assuming it's straight forward. It should have been done years ago but we've been slack. Actually I tried years ago to get it done but DH was the one dragging the chain. I'm not even sure whether to do POAs yet. Should I do this now too? I had thought about adding the kids as Executor's (and eventually POA's) once they become adults.

Yes, POAs now, financial is often more important than medical if your life is not complicated, but I'd still do that, too.

#9 Rockwiz

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

Just a quick question, why do lawyers consider Guardianship to be so tricky? My oldest child is almost 17 and the youngest 15 so it's not like they are little kids anymore anyway. I thought you could just include a line in the Will that states 'in the event of both parents deaths I would like such and such to have guardianship of the two children while they are still under 18 years old' or words to that effect. I just rang and queried a Law firm and was told a lawyer would need to call back for a costing if we wanted Guardianship as it is tricky.

#10 Mands09

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

^ ours was included in our wills at no extra cost above the standard will cost. So not sure on that one.

#11 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 25 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

Im in Adelaide but we recently had wills drawn up and it was around $500 as a couple (not the other 2 docs)

#12 rosie28

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:08 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 25 September 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Just a quick question, why do lawyers consider Guardianship to be so tricky? My oldest child is almost 17 and the youngest 15 so it's not like they are little kids anymore anyway. I thought you could just include a line in the Will that states 'in the event of both parents deaths I would like such and such to have guardianship of the two children while they are still under 18 years old' or words to that effect. I just rang and queried a Law firm and was told a lawyer would need to call back for a costing if we wanted Guardianship as it is tricky.

It’s not so much tricky, but can get complicated quickly. You can express a preference but you can bind anyone, and your wishes can be challenged. What can be tricky is setting things up to make your wishes the easiest way forward for the court.

#13 cait81

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

We did ours with Meyer Vandenberg. Also did PoA - I think for the four documents it was about $2000. I highly recommend MV - have used them in a variety of situations and found them excellent

#14 born.a.girl

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 25 September 2019 - 04:06 PM, said:

Honestly, at those ages, I'd talk to them, ask them what they want, and talk to the people you hope would take them in.

Nothing you put in writing can be forced anyway, it's only your preferences which get taken into account.

We only had one child, two clear options, and had a preference for her not to be brought up with deeply committed Christians, who don't believe in evolution, despite the rest of the relationship being great, so spoke to the other clear alternative, letting them know what we'd like, and finding out whether they would agree.

#15 Rockwiz

Posted 25 September 2019 - 10:51 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 25 September 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

Honestly, at those ages, I'd talk to them, ask them what they want, and talk to the people you hope would take them in.

Nothing you put in writing can be forced anyway, it's only your preferences which get taken into account.

We only had one child, two clear options, and had a preference for her not to be brought up with deeply committed Christians, who don't believe in evolution, despite the rest of the relationship being great, so spoke to the other clear alternative, letting them know what we'd like, and finding out whether they would agree.
Yep I agree. I don’t think it’s worth going to the trouble of writing it in the Wills at this late stage. The kids agree with our preference anyway and the couple concerned are happy to take on the responsibility as well. So I think we can stick with the simple Wills and worry about the POA’s instead!

#16 born.a.girl

Posted 26 September 2019 - 04:49 AM

View PostRockwiz, on 25 September 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Yep I agree. I don’t think it’s worth going to the trouble of writing it in the Wills at this late stage. The kids agree with our preference anyway and the couple concerned are happy to take on the responsibility as well. So I think we can stick with the simple Wills and worry about the POA’s instead!

Experts here may disagree, but I don't think I've seen that here, quite the opposite, that in your shoes, it's probably a waste of money.

In our case, the solicitor suggested we write a note ourselves, to be signed and left with the will.  Again, it's only an indication, but as with anything it adds weight if there's an argument.

She's 27 now, so the black humour of her inheriting the farm pops up from time to time.  :)  Especially now that we're doing so much travelling without her - that's what the Medicare person pointed out and it was exactly what we were about to do - travel overseas for the first time without her, and if we'd ended up both in hospital overseas, she'd have been well and truly stuffed with our paperwork.

Your timing is good, in three years when the youngest is 18, will be a good gap of time to reveiw things and add them to the paperwork.

#17 Flutters

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

Look up artisan legal. $600 for Wills and POA for DH and I and they came to our place about 5.30 one evening to do it. I really recommend them

#18 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:00 PM

I find POA a little concerning. A work colleague (who has a law degree) said that when her lawyers were drawing up a POA for her they said that if she went OS for eg that the person with POA could legally sell your house. So that makes me nervous and I'll definitely be asking about that. We do need to do some wills though.

#19 ~J_F~

Posted 03 October 2019 - 11:29 PM

View PostFeralRebelWClaws, on 03 October 2019 - 11:00 PM, said:

I find POA a little concerning. A work colleague (who has a law degree) said that when her lawyers were drawing up a POA for her they said that if she went OS for eg that the person with POA could legally sell your house. So that makes me nervous and I'll definitely be asking about that. We do need to do some wills though.

Most people don’t appoint a general power of attorney when they do their wills, they appoint an enduring power of attorney (there is a difference) - which only comes into play if you have lost capacity. It depends on your state.

Wills are often more complicated than people think, guardianship is an area that is very important that is done right. As is enduring POA. It’s also important that it’s all explained to you properly.

Edited by ~J_F~, 03 October 2019 - 11:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.