Electricity bill - is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 Leslie Knope

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:43 PM

That’s high to me. We are a 4 person household in NSW. We average $250-$300 depending on the quarter.

#27 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:51 PM

Cheap to me.

But I am in SA.

I also have too many people here who like to suck up electricity. No respect for what putting the air con on means ... nor do they appreciate the whole standby issue. *sigh*

#28 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

View PostSabine75, on 22 September 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

thanks - hmm it says 13.1 kWh use per day - not sure if that is normal or not.  One fridge, one PC - usual laptops , iPhones charging,

13.1 kWh per day doesn't sound too bad to me. We are a family of 5, and our daily usage ranges from 20-30 kWh across the year. Tariffs are definitely worth reviewing. We are on a flat tariff, so we pay the same amount all the time, but my friend, who is basically the same as me, is on one with peak/off peak/shoulder rates and her bills are always much higher than ours. We've just put solar panels on, so I'm hoping our bills go down.

#29 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:27 PM

Ours is about that in SA with 5 people but we don't use heating /cooling much and we have gas hot water and cooking.

I know ours is a lot lower than comparable housholds according to whats written on the bill and asking people.

#30 Ozquoll

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

Our last quarterly bill was $287 with usage of about 13 kWh a day, so yes, your bill seems high to me.

#31 raechel82

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:03 PM

I would pay more than that in SA for 13 khw a day.

It really depends on where your located. Places like SA can pay over 15c more per khw than other areas.

Edited by raechel82, 22 September 2019 - 06:03 PM.

#32 NastyGal

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:34 PM

I think it sounds like reasonable usage - we use approx 19-20 kWh a day here. Four people in regional Victoria - two school kids, and two adults who at home all day every day. Gas heating and stovetop - electric hot water and oven.

It really comes down to your cost per kilowatt. Ours is 0.352 per kWh, and we have a daily service charge of 1.37 per day. We also get 34% discount for paying on time which helps.

#33 Lalala4

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:14 PM

I literally rang my provider on Friday OP and just said the bill seems a bit high, am I on the best plan? And she shifted me to a rate that will save us $600 over the year compared to what we’ve been paying. I was totally paying the lazy tax!

#34 foxbread

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:33 PM

We are a household of 3 and our winter average is 10-15kwh per day. Our water heater, heating and cooking are all electric. If op is using gas for any of those,  I would find that alarmingly high daily use of electricity - otherwise not.

#35 liveworkplay

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:51 PM

We are a family of 5 with everything electric except heating and our winter quarter is only just nearly that.

#36 *melrose*

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

Ours was $235 for 3 months, no heater. No gas stove ect.

#37 lozoodle

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

That seems high for only 13 kw / day! just looked at my winter bill and it says we averaged 25 kw a day (I know, that's heaps! usually its around 16 according to my bill), I used the heating and dryer a LOT this year (not good, have been very time poor! and not coping with cold well this year!) and the bill only came in at $636 which is a BIG bill for us. Usually its in the $450-500 range.

This a family of five, no gas at all, five bedroom house...

#38 Expelliarmus

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:05 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 22 September 2019 - 09:58 PM, said:

That seems high for only 13 kw / day! just looked at my winter bill and it says we averaged 25 kw a day (I know, that's heaps! usually its around 16 according to my bill), I used the heating and dryer a LOT this year (not good, have been very time poor! and not coping with cold well this year!) and the bill only came in at $636 which is a BIG bill for us. Usually its in the $450-500 range.

This a family of five, no gas at all, five bedroom house...
Also a family of five with a five bedroom house - we do have gas hot water and that would cost me around $830.

We used more though ... :omg:

#39 Charli73

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:22 PM

Sounds high to me also.
Melbourne small 4 bed house family of 2ad 2 children is $330 quarter electricity and $150- $250 quarter gas ..

we have a wonderfully insulated home though.

#40 gracie1978

Posted 23 September 2019 - 05:23 AM

Our average bill in Winter is $1000, about half in Summer.
I was surprised our big Winter bill this year was less than last year, as we have been home more and used the dryer more often.  However we bought a new split system for the lounge and it's far more energy efficient.

Around $200 a quarter for gas, jnc hot water and cooking.

It's sooooooooooooooo much cheaper than in NZ.

I think your bill seems ok.  13 years ago we would pay that for a month for the two of us in NZ.

#41 lozoodle

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

Crazy how much the prices vary depending on location!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.