I need to know all things cat!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Jo.F

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

aside from everything else people have said, if it's possible get 2. If you're going to be at work all day then it will get lonely. I've never had just one cat.

And invest in decent quality litter. With indoor cats the litter tray will get used a LOT.

I have 3 indoor cats and they've never scratched the furniture but I've always had decent scratching poles and cat trees. I've also recently built them a cat enclosure but they aren't too keen on it yet.

Good luck! Cats aren't always as aloof and selfish as people make them out to be. Spend a bit of time with them and they are very loving, loyal and affectionate animals :)

#27 Jenflea

Posted 21 September 2019 - 11:07 AM

Wood pellets are the best litter I've found.
No smell, hardly any mess. Far better than the paper ones I used with my previous cat for 17 years.

#28 caitiri

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:13 PM

We’ve just done this,  I had a thread on cat scratching trees recently.  We adopted a couple of older kittens,  who are great and settling in well.  So well that this morning at ridiculous hour they broke out of their ‘safe space’ and caused mayhem throughout the house but they did it while purring so totally forgivable.  Today they are letting my 5yo order them around. Get whatever food and litter they are using to start off and if you want to change stuff do it gradually.

#29 lazycritter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostPurplePaperFrog, on 20 September 2019 - 07:19 PM, said:

Where should they sleep? Do they even sleep through the night?
Can they be left alone?
What 'stuff' do I need to buy?
How often do I feed them?
Can they be trained?
Do they mind being indoors or do they try to escape!

I've only ever had dogs, so cats are all new to me.

a) Cats will sleep anywhere.  They will sleep in drawers, cupboards, clean clothes, laps, beds, under the doonas, over the doonas, anywhere.
Be careful about dryers.  Our youngest cat still has an interest in hopping in our front loader/dryer firstly because it's an interesting space and secondly when the dryer is finished it's lovely and warm and cats love the heat. My veterinarian friend has told me accidents with dryers happen and that I should be very careful. She has seen things :(

b) Cats love to sleep.  They find somewhere secret and warm and will  sleep most of the day. I wish I was a cat. Full moons can make them a bit crazy so might be up around then.

c) Yes, they can be left alone as in they don't necessarily like being handled too much.  You can leave them for a day and they should be ok. I Would recommend you get two cats the same age to start with as they  can be really cute together.  If you find a pair (sometimes they come as a pair with siblings don't split them up that's just mean.)

d) When they're hungry. No don't do that, they can act hungry when they don't need food.  Our cats get fed a small amount twice a day andwe leave dry food for them to nibble on during the day and water off cause. Our cats seem to like fresh water so You might want to refill everyday.

e) They seem to train themselves to use the litter tray.  Having said that I haven't had one younger than 12 weeks old so the previous owner might have already trained the cats.
If you mean to train to do other things, I haven't attempted that, they walk all over me.  I do suggest you put foil around the corners of couches to stop the cat using it as a scratching post.  We have always had scratching posts but they still go for the couch.  I have to admit I'm pretty soft.  I don't do any discipline at all.

f) If you can keep the cat indoors from an early age so it doesn't really know what it's missing out on, that might be the only way to help them not be interested in outdoors.  But once they get out for the first time, it's all over red rover.  My cats are domestic tabbies and one ginger so if you were looking to get a pedigree cat you might be able to choose a certain temperament.  Maybe.

Our three cats are completely different.  They are all rescued (one was from a proper shelter and the other two were heading towards the shelter if I hadn't been sucked in hahah)

My eldest is 18 years old and she's going well despite a bit of incontinence.  She sleeps with me at night and she sleeps on my lap if I"m wearing the right clothes or blanket.  It turns out she prefers cotton blankets not synthetic. Who would have thought. :rolleyes:

Middle cat (about 3 or 4 now) got really  fat really quickly I don't understand how because she was on a  strict Hill prescription diet.  I think it was purely lack of exercise. My daughter treated her like a baby so she got to the point that she waited for DD to pick her up to put her places.  She wouldn't jump on the bed herself.

Then the young one 1.75 years old is energetic and we couldn't keep her in for long, she has been catching rats and leaving them for us as presents of late.  Charming gifts.

Hope this helps!

Edited by lazycritter, 21 September 2019 - 06:01 PM.

#30 jovana

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

Mine sleep whenever they want. They have their big cat tree, bundle of blankets on the couch (that are just for them) or choice of 4 beds. Black cat usually sleeps with either if us while the girl tuxedo sleeps only with DH.
They mostly sleep through the night.

I feed mine mixture of wet and dry, with some mince at dinner time. I only give them dry twice a day and in small amounts. It's good for their teeth but it's messing with their tummies. Black cat never drinks water so I have to feed him wet stuff.
They're very healthy and spot on with their weight. They eat 2 small and one big meal a day (dinner).

Get a deep litter box, it saved my sanity, no more kitty litter all over the house. Also a good scratcher if you can, they tend to leave furniture alone if they have one.

One couldn't care less about the outside, one will fight us to go outside every time someone leaves the back door, without fail.

Mine are alone quite a bit and they're fine, they sleep a lot during the day.

Yes they're expensive, we pay insurance for our 2 cats. It's just my preference. We were hit with a $3500 bill in the first year, ended up being only $600 out of pocket, we were very lucky we had the insurance.

They're all different, you'll work it out as you go, good luck. 😊

#31 Jenflea

Posted 22 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

jovana have you tried a different dry food? My previous cat couldn't eat particular brands or she'd get dandruff so maybe changing to Hills or a different brand might help.

#32 BadCat

Posted 22 September 2019 - 05:03 PM

With the dry food messing with their tummy, I had one who had incessant diarrhea for months because of the dry food he was having.  Switched to a grain free and he was better within days.

#33 jovana

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:39 PM

Well one of them is missing 10cm of her guts, she alternates from not pooping for 3 days to having diarrhoea.
Male cat has always been a "stinker", as in everyone need to evacuate the house after he poops.

Dry food makes this worse for both of them. 🤣

Girl cat is also super fussy, she'll only eat certain dry food and 3 wet food flavours.🙄
Flame away lol, but I'm not a fan of dry food. I don't think they're designed to survive eating dry food, hence so many cats with UTIs, urinary problems, obesity etc.

#34 K.heather

Posted 22 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Jovana specially the reports on smitten dry food, I'd rather feed my cat dirt, would be more nutritious.

#35 caitiri

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostJenflea, on 21 September 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

Wood pellets are the best litter I've found.
No smell, hardly any mess. Far better than the paper ones I used with my previous cat for 17 years.

Do you use the catmate ones?  Mine came being used to the paper but I hate it and we are using so much of it it’s crazy

#36 Jenflea

Posted 22 September 2019 - 09:52 PM

The one I use is from Best Friends and it's called Kitter.
Purely because it comes in a 5kg bag that I can easily carry myself!
I know you can get bigger bags of other brands at feed stores etc but I can't carry them and have VERY little space  to store big bags of the stuff.
A 5kg bag is $10 so not as cheap as bulk bags but it'll last my boy 2 weeks(half a bag a week) if I scoop the poo when he does it(usually every second day).

Jovana, I'm not a fan of commercial cat food at all, I can't see how it's better than raw food like nature intended.
Previous cat was on KD prescription food but she hated it and hardly ate anything for the last 3 years of her life.

#37 Lunafreya

Posted 22 September 2019 - 11:28 PM

Can I also add that cats love empty boxes. My cat likes to sit in boxes and I would push her around. DS now gives her box rides.

#38 *Ker*

Posted 24 September 2019 - 10:57 AM

I have 4 indoor cats. The two youngest (brothers) do not sleep all night. They are a**holes and chase each other around the house at 2am. The two oldest are grumpy girls (mother and daughter) get very peed off at this crap and go and tell them off then grump back to bed.

Currently second oldest and sometimes oldest sleep with my daughter. Black boy sleeps on me. Like the back of my legs or my lower back. Redhead boy sleeps on my foot. Its not so comfortable for me.

Mine eat a premium dry food only. Theyre all...umm...fat.

Buy yourself a cat tree. I did and it has saved my lounge. They have poles to scratch, boxes to sit in and platforms to sit on to hit the dog as she walks past (thats the redhead). They especially love the hanging fluffy mice.

Mine use the recycled paper litter (Breeder's Choice). Its pretty good. One big bag lasts 3 trays 2 weeks.

You can get outside cat enclosures. My brother has a cat enclosure business and he has made SO many different runs. Youre limited only by space and cost.

Cats are a**holes and unlike dogs, generally dont care about pleasing humans. But I love them anyhow.

#39 lazycritter

Posted 24 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

You will need to get a roomba

https://youtu.be/tLt5rBfNucc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.