Christmas shopping

• Please log in to reply
144 replies to this topic

#51 laridae

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:45 AM

I'm pretty much done. I've been picking up stuff on sale or clearance all year.
DD1 is getting a new bike from us
DD2 is getting a Sylvanian families department store from us
They are both getting boogie boards from Santa, plus a selection of smaller items for their stocking.
We don't do presents for adults (except dh and I to each other).
DH will tell me want he wants and I'll get it. And just some small assorted things for his stocking.

#52 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 05 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

i’m struggling this year with ideas. ds’s birthday is in november (turning 13) and he’s requested a go-pro - so he’ll get that for b’day - maybe we can get some accessories for it for xmas. we are o/s in Jan and he’s expressed an interest in photography and those retro polaroid cameras - so i could get him one of those, but he has a phone that takes perfectly good pics ....maybe a travel diary, a book, some model airplanes for his stocking and a giant Haighs chocolate frog.

younger ds - no idea. all he’s requested are pokémon cards - which i hate. he gets the initial dopamine hit when he opens the packet to see if there is a good card there then he just ditches them. maybe some lego, a boogie board. don’t know.

dh - no idea.

my nieces - i saw these really nice silver necklaces with a pendant that you can get with their initial - so S and N - i thought they might like those but i’ll check with my sister.

little nieces and nephews - lego, thomas tank engine stuff and squiggle stuff.

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 05 October 2019 - 07:59 AM.

#53 MGB

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:59 AM

Following for ideas. I’m struggling for ideas this year.

I’m not sure what to get my 8, 6 and 4 year old, they keep changing their minds.

12yo nephew- no idea. Any ideas for a boy this age for around $30?
10yo niece- no idea.
5yo niece- Unicorn fairy light garden
Nearly 3yo niece- Quercetti colourful mosaics
5month nephew- personalised silicon and wood teether.

Mum- outdoor pod chair
Dad- no idea
ILs- wine and a voucher

We don’t normally buy for our own siblings.

#54 UndergroundKelpie

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

I have no idea what to get my kids. They all have birthdays around Christmas too.

DS 13....He wants steam cards but still has over $100 on his steam account. He wants an XBOX but never played the switch he wanted and is a PC gamer.

DD 11...no idea. She has everything. Was thinking a bedroom makeover but we are planning a big move in a year.

DD 5....has the hand me downs from the 2 big kids and has literally everything including an iPad already.

Maybe body boards for the beach?

Anyone have any ideas? We need presents from parents and Santa as all 3 kids still believe (yes even the 13 year old. He is ASD level 2)

Edited by UndergroundKelpie, 07 October 2019 - 12:06 PM.

#55 Beancat

Posted 07 October 2019 - 12:23 PM

three children (all primary school age) are getting the same

a ticket to a show each (plus there is also the cost of the parent ticket)
a mini google
a book
something to wear

We will be away for Christmas day and there is not much room for big toys etc and we have waaaaaay tooo much plastic in our house

#56 MsLaurie

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostUndergroundKelpie, on 07 October 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

Anyone have any ideas? We need presents from parents and Santa

No specific ideas, but I did decide last year that Santa would bring the toys mummy disapproves of, like the annoying talking Cinderella doll and some cheap plastic gold treasure coins. It was somehow easier to justify!

#57 spr_maiden

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:02 PM

View PostBearynice, on 04 October 2019 - 11:10 AM, said:

I’m thinking for their birthday of upgrading their scooters.... what kind of scooters are decent for ten year olds?
They wouldn’t be doing tricks, just on footpaths.

https://www.cyclesta...lBoC8UsQAvD_BwE

I got one of these for DS when he was 8. It was a tad big then but he got used to it quickly. The size looks right now and will suit him for another good 20-30cm of growing too.
Can go on paths,  grass, and dirt.

#58 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:31 PM

Teachers and other professional significant people are done.

Teacher A - notebook and pen and Christmas ornament
Teacher B - glasses (favourite movie ones) gift card and Christmas ornament

The only aunties the kids buy for are done - light up Christmas ornament.

Kids have being started but I am not sure exactly what to get them for the remainder of stuff.

Kid 1 - Lego

Kid 2 - solar system that rotates around the sun, it hangs from the roof, pop vinyls.

Family game board is bought as well and the advent calendar.

I know what I am getting DH - coffee machine and pods.

Puppy will get a special bone and treats.

#59 anna_garny

Posted 07 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

The 6yo keeps pestering me for a Luv-A-Bella doll and there is no way in hell one of those creepy things is coming into my house, she's getting Lego to add to the collection instead, and a few other little things. The big gift is going to be a new bed (that she will get to choose) for when we move into the new house early next year. She also got her ears pierced a few weeks ago so is getting new earrings too.

Miss 4 will turn 5 less than a week after Christmas so I'm gauging how much extra I need to get laid away for that event. In the meantime she will also be getting Lego and the new bed voucher.

The trick with the beds, though, is that we're going to be buying them early next year, and hoping that we can perhaps pick them up secondhand, as well as some linen and if there's money left over in their 'vouchers' then they may be able to choose some fabric to turn into cushion covers.

#60 spr_maiden

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:38 PM

View Postaquarium2, on 02 October 2019 - 01:06 PM, said:

Thanks again Aqua2. Turns out the first dragon you suggested can pair up with Lego boost (which we have) to bring it to "life". DS is going to LOVE it.
So brilliant work, thanks 😉

#61 Pooks Combusted

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:04 PM

I’m looking for boys size 8-9 Xmas tops and pjs, has anyone seen anything nice?

#62 Living Type

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

View PostPooks Combusted, on 15 October 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

No :-( not really. I am drawn to all the younger boys tees for my 8 year old but they are too small. Next does have a cool flippy sequin one which is a bit different to the standard Kmart, Target etc that I am considering

https://www.next.com...831002s3#632007

#63 Apple14

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:51 PM

I’ve done the majority, and know what else I’m buying - fitbit and Garmin.
I’m looking for a new xmas tree. Nothing super expensive, but would like something full and easy to assemble/pack away. Any recommendations??

#64 Goldenash

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

View Postlaridae, on 05 October 2019 - 07:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty much done. I've been picking up stuff on sale or clearance all year.
DD1 is getting a new bike from us
DD2 is getting a Sylvanian families department store from us
They are both getting boogie boards from Santa, plus a selection of smaller items for their stocking.
We don't do presents for adults (except dh and I to each other).
DH will tell me want he wants and I'll get it. And just some small assorted things for his stocking.

Where did Santa have the boogie boards made laridae?

#65 gracie1978

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Bought a Christmas shirt and two t shirts for $18 at Best n less

One t shirt will be a pj top, and the other two for wearing to Christmas functions.

#66 gracie1978

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:05 PM

https://www.bestandl...VER_ALLOY_SANTA

What is everyone requesting for themselves?
I really want a bread maker.

#67 1975ladybug

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

View PostThylacine, on 02 October 2019 - 09:15 AM, said:

Does anyone know where I can get some cute linen tea towels? I thought a nice 'token' present for my mum would be tea towels, but she only likes linen and all the fun designs seem to be cotton

How about these!
https://mountvicandm...ory/tea-towels/

#68 DM. 2012

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

I bought this PAC-Man Christmas t-shirt from Big W for my son. I love it.

https://www.bigw.com.../1179163-green/

Edited by DM. 2012, 15 October 2019 - 08:50 PM.

#69 LightPink

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:03 PM

Target for the pjs. Go to their website and it’s called Family Christmas Pjs, goes from size 1-16. My phone isn’t liking me trying to link tonight sorry.

#70 MsLaurie

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:12 PM

View Postgracie1978, on 15 October 2019 - 08:05 PM, said:

What is everyone requesting for themselves?
I really want a bread maker.

Proper garden tools!! Some traditional (EG a proper spade, fork, wheelbarrow), and some bits to connect with my ryobi one battery, like a trimmer.

#71 DM. 2012

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:13 PM

My 7 year old will get some LEGO. Probably blocks rather than a set because he likes to just build his own things - I wish I had his imagination.

Not sure about 16 year old step son.

My husband has talked about getting them both new iPads, theirs are our old ones and are 6 and 7 years old and slow and out dated.

I’m getting my 12 year old nephew a board game called “Stupid Deaths” and perhaps a Fart Ninja (figurine that has a motion sensor and does a variety of farts.  We have one at our house and it’s hillarious.

#72 chickenpants

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

View Postspr_maiden, on 10 October 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Thanks again Aqua2. Turns out the first dragon you suggested can pair up with Lego boost (which we have) to bring it to "life". DS is going to LOVE it.
So brilliant work, thanks ������

My DS got that for his birthday a while ago and is besotted with it!
(He has the Boost system too)

Edited by chickenpants, 15 October 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#73 spr_maiden

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:51 PM

oh brilliant to hear! I'm kind of really excited to give it to him lol.

#74 laridae

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:13 PM

View PostGoldenash, on 15 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

Where did Santa have the boogie boards made laridae?
Big w.

#75 laridae

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostDM. 2012, on 15 October 2019 - 08:50 PM, said:

I bought this PAC-Man Christmas t-shirt from Big W for my son. I love it.

https://www.bigw.com.../1179163-green/
Oh, I love that! Pity it doesn't come in adult sizes. PAC man is kind of wasted on kids. Most probably don't even know who or what it is. I work in IT... it would be a great secret Santa gift.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.