No. Just no...film remakes

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#51 Dadto2

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

Don't think they could improve on Pulp Fiction.

#52 Soontobegran

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:17 AM

View PostGumbette, on 19 September 2019 - 07:25 PM, said:

Little women.  Why!?

The cast means that I am not so perturbed.
I am talking about the Little Women that is not yet released though.

#53 123tree

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:18 AM

View Post71Cath, on 20 September 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

I'm worried that they will try and remake Harry Potter one day and I will be devastated.

Actually I didn’t like the movies because so much good stuff in the books couldn’t fit and the action scenes seemed rushed. The friendships between the characters wasn’t really delved into.

I think it should have originally been made like a mini series with each book spread across three or four episodes.  

However it came out at a time where people went to the cinema instead of watching Netflix and stuff.

#54 steppy

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

I actually liked the remake of Sabrina, mostly because I really like Harrison Ford and Greg Kinnear.

I think I've watched the Bogart one but don't really remember it. Probably because it didn't have Harrison Ford in it. LOL

#55 10YearsLater

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:33 AM

I agree with the Princess Bride, Dead Poets and Shawshank Redemption... never ever remake.

I loved Neverending Story as a kid and I actually would like to see a modern day remake. Because... it really fits with how much we are destroying our planet. So I would like to see a take on this theme

#56 Weavile

Posted 20 September 2019 - 12:21 PM

I read yesterday that Disney may be remaking Star Wars Holiday Special for their streaming service.

Honestly they should just remaster and rerelease the original without alteration - can't improve on perfect.

#57 ali-song

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:39 PM

I’d kinda like to see someone remake The Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink without all the racist/sexist/rapey stuff. I wonder if they’d still work?

#58 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

View Postali-song, on 20 September 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

I’d kinda like to see someone remake The Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles/Pretty in Pink without all the racist/sexist/rapey stuff. I wonder if they’d still work?

Why can't they just make new movies?

#59 Chocolate Addict

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:54 PM

Steel Magnolia's one of my top ten movies. They re made it with an all African American cast - NO. I watched 5 minutes and that was more than enough.

Anything remade switching male to female and vice versa (ghost busters) and swapping to all African American cast.

I also don't like books turned in to movies most of the time.

#60 Lunafreya

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

My favourite remake of Murder on the Orient Express is the TV one, but that's because David Suchet is the best Poirot.

One movie I would like to see remade is Alfred Hitchcock's Rope especially as the technology exists to make it as Hitchcock wished...as one endless take.

The biggest remakes I do not want to see are the Disney live action ones. I want new fairy tales.  Some of which I will list below as ones I can see remaking.

The Twelve Dancing Princesses
The Wild Swans
The Prince in the Black Scarf
Caporushes
The Practical Princess

#61 Ellie bean

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

Disney’s new Aladdin was awesome though.
Lion King remake was terrible...

#62 Ayr

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

Agree. Aladdin was great, I prefer the original if I had to pick but it was really good just the same. The lion king was ruined..... Absolutely obliterated....

#63 Chchgirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:44 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 19 September 2019 - 07:18 PM, said:

Loved Cary elwes’ response.
“There’s a shortage of perfect movies in this world. It would be a pity to damage this one.“

The remake of footloose should not have been done.

I’m pretty sure there are some great new stories- let’s make them into movies.

I've never seen the remake. No Kevin, no movie. Although it wasa ridiculous movie. But I was also a teenager..

#64 Chchgirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:46 PM

View Postpurpleduck, on 19 September 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

I am also a big fat fan of the BBC Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle Pride and Prejudice and very much not of any other version.

Same. I'm also a big fat fan of Colin Firth..😗

#65 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostChchgirl, on 20 September 2019 - 03:44 PM, said:

I've never seen the remake. No Kevin, no movie. Although it wasa ridiculous movie. But I was also a teenager..

Its funny I don't remember ever watching it just remember my friend and I looking for love letters the bloke who wrote the song sent to my mum hoping they would have been worth a bit at the time (we were kids we weren't after too much money!)

#66 Chchgirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 20 September 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

Nope, The Wizard of Oz stays as is. It’s perfect like that already.

Also a big no to remaking:
The Princess Bride
Footloose
Back to the Future
Beaches
Dirty Dancing
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Labyrinth
ET
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Karate Kid (I know they remade it - it was a bad call)

I’m torn on Top Gun ...

I like that Bill and Ted is getting a sequel with the originals.

Top gun? It better be good!

Terminator is coming up with Arnie and Linda Hamilton and I'm beyond excited!  I've only seen the original and Terminator 2 judgement day, I refused to watch the others. Linda Hamilton  = awesome. .

#67 Chchgirl

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:52 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 20 September 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

I have no problem with Top Gun being remade. Tom Cruise ruins so many movies by being in them.

Proof I am the only person who still likes Tom Cruise. And I damned love that movie Cocktail.

#68 Treasure Island

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

On the other hand I wish someone would remake Playing Beattie Bow and this time stick to the book!

Yes! This was my favourite childhood book and the movie was awful.

#69 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

View PostChchgirl, on 20 September 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Proof I am the only person who still likes Tom Cruise. And I damned love that movie Cocktail.

I like Tom Cruises 80's or so movies

And I loved Cocktail!

I wonder if they will do the sound of music?

#70 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:15 PM

I haven't seen the original but I started watching A star is Born, it definitely seems like a 70s remake, script wise. Just seems to lack the nuances of 21st century plots.

#71 JustCurious100

Posted 21 September 2019 - 01:32 AM

View PostWannabeMasterchef, on 20 September 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

I haven't seen the original but I started watching A star is Born, it definitely seems like a 70s remake, script wise. Just seems to lack the nuances of 21st century plots.

The latest Star is Born is the 3rd or 4th remake. I loved the 70's version best. SBS had it showing for awhile.

ETA: I absolutely adored Gaga in the latest version though. Shes such a talented woman and just beautiful as well.

Edited by JustCurious100, 21 September 2019 - 01:34 AM.

#72 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

View PostChchgirl, on 20 September 2019 - 03:52 PM, said:

Nope, I still love Tom Cruise - can’t help it, I just go with it now :shrug:  

Am torn on a Top Gun remake though. Just don’t know why ... it could be my wish to enjoy an enhanced, perhaps even extended, volleyball scene ...

John Hughes films are classics for any 80s teen but I think remakes there - decent ones that put contemporary perspectives on the issues raised - could be valuable.

#73 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:12 AM

i’ve almost lost friendships over the fact i quite liked the Jack Reacher movie....

#74 lazycritter

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

Surely they aren't remaking back to the future?!?!?!!
Blasphemy!!!!!!

#75 Expelliarmus

Posted 21 September 2019 - 09:46 AM

I don’t think they are - we just all think they shouldn’t.

I am looking forward to new Terminator - but can’t work out if it’s a remake or a ‘new take’?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.