Jump to content

No. Just no...film remakes


  • Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#26 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:29 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 19 September 2019 - 09:03 PM, said:

The classic wizard of Oz. No way.

Actually I'd be half keen to see this remade. On the one hand I can't imagine any characters that could match up to the originals. In my memory I loved that movie. But after rewatching the old movie recently with the kids - what a mess. Looooong lead up scene that never happened in the book and was deathly boring. And then some bizarre extrapolation at the end almost taking it into the "it was all a dream" routine. It was terrible.
I think maybe what I'd like would be for someone to get in there and clean it up - keep the original cast/music/everything but trim it down to the essentials. There's certainly enough material in there to cut it right down and have a much more awesome movie.

#27 steppingonlego

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

I am a huge Peter Cook and Dudley Moore fan.

There was a little known movie they did called Bedazzled which I adore

Then Hollywood remade it with Liz Hurley and Brendan Fraser ......... WHY

Also the remake of Dudley Moore’s Arthur by Russell Brand bloody shocking

#28 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:20 PM

remake of Sabrina - terrible.


#29 **Xena**

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:54 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 19 September 2019 - 10:20 PM, said:

remake of Sabrina - terrible.

I don't think they have remade Sabrina have they? There's the new show but that's based on an alternate horror series that Archie Comics released, not the original series.

#30 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:27 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 19 September 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:

I don't think they have remade Sabrina have they? There's the new show but that's based on an alternate horror series that Archie Comics released, not the original series.

Not the Teenage witch one, the classic movie with the poor girl and rich brothers.

#31 VigilantePaladin

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:29 PM

View Post**Xena**, on 19 September 2019 - 10:54 PM, said:



I don't think they have remade Sabrina have they? There's the new show but that's based on an alternate horror series that Archie Comics released, not the original series.
Not Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Ther was the original Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart  then the terrible remake with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford. Nup...

#32 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:58 PM

Should we also quarantine “breakfast at Tiffany’s” and my fair lady?

#33 **Xena**

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:59 PM

Oh, I didn't even realise they'd remade the movie!

I'm annoyed that it all seems to be remakes and reboots now. It happens when people start concentrating more on bringing in money than on making great movies. Also with Disney having the monopoly on a lot of companies everything is starting to feel very generic and formulated.

#34 gettin my fance on

Posted 20 September 2019 - 01:00 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 19 September 2019 - 09:29 PM, said:

Actually I'd be half keen to see this remade. On the one hand I can't imagine any characters that could match up to the originals. In my memory I loved that movie. But after rewatching the old movie recently with the kids - what a mess. Looooong lead up scene that never happened in the book and was deathly boring. And then some bizarre extrapolation at the end almost taking it into the "it was all a dream" routine. It was terrible.
I think maybe what I'd like would be for someone to get in there and clean it up - keep the original cast/music/everything but trim it down to the essentials. There's certainly enough material in there to cut it right down and have a much more awesome movie.

NOOOOOOO!

#35 Expelliarmus

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:26 AM

Nope, The Wizard of Oz stays as is. It’s perfect like that already.

Also a big no to remaking:
The Princess Bride
Footloose
Back to the Future
Beaches
Dirty Dancing
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Labyrinth
ET
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Karate Kid (I know they remade it - it was a bad call)

I’m torn on Top Gun ...

#36 overlytired

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:46 AM

View Post**Xena**, on 19 September 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

Oh, I didn't even realise they'd remade the movie!

I'm annoyed that it all seems to be remakes and reboots now. It happens when people start concentrating more on bringing in money than on making great movies. Also with Disney having the monopoly on a lot of companies everything is starting to feel very generic and formulated.

Agreed.

Gone with the Wind
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Sound of Music

#37 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:52 AM

Labyrinth would be a disaster.

As would the following:
Gone With the Wind
The Breakfast Club
Shawshank Redemption
Dead Poets Society
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Alien

#38 Treasure Island

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

I'll add Nightmare on Elm St.

Surely the point or remaking a horror is that the new special effects makes it scarier? It didn't and Freddy was a joke.

#39 Ellie bean

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

So just don’t see the remakes, problem solved and who cares?
If books I love get made into movies I just don’t see them because odds are it won’t be as good as the book

#40 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:51 AM

View PostMurderBritches, on 19 September 2019 - 11:29 PM, said:


Not Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Ther was the original Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart  then the terrible remake with Julia Ormond and Harrison Ford. Nup...

yes sorry i should have specified that’s ^ the one i meant. Audrey is a hard act to follow...Julia Ormond is lovely and might have been an ok choice but the directing was all off and Harrison is so wooden - he can’t play a romantic lead- even the Indiana movies he was fine with the action stuff but when he tried to get it on with the female leads it was just....wrong.


#41 71Cath

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

I'm worried that they will try and remake Harry Potter one day and I will be devastated.

#42 Lalala4

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

On the other hand I wish someone would remake Playing Beattie Bow and this time stick to the book!

#43 IamtheMumma

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:04 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 20 September 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

Nope, The Wizard of Oz stays as is. It’s perfect like that already.

Also a big no to remaking:
The Princess Bride
Footloose
Back to the Future
Beaches
Dirty Dancing
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
Labyrinth
ET
Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
Karate Kid (I know they remade it - it was a bad call)

I’m torn on Top Gun ...

I have no problem with Top Gun being remade. Tom Cruise ruins so many movies by being in them.

#44 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:06 AM

I am curious if they remake Footloose

But what the is the point on remaking movies anyway, are they running out of ideas??

#45 Gumbette

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Surely no one is proposing a remake of Gone with the Wind?!?!

#46 Mollycoddle

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:37 AM

Couldn't care less about The Princess Bride, I'm a big one for cult classics but I could never see how this particular film achieved that status.

#47 Dadto2

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostAliasMater, on 19 September 2019 - 07:46 PM, said:

I love Beetlejuice.

haha loved that movie

#48 BeAwesome

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

View Post71Cath, on 20 September 2019 - 08:55 AM, said:

I'm worried that they will try and remake Harry Potter one day and I will be devastated.

I would love to see it made into a TV series that didn't chop so much from the books.

#49 katpaws

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

Quote

I am curious if they remake Footloose

Already have - Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough in Footloose started in a remake released in 2011.

I would ask that someone redo the Hobbit. That was an awful trilogy. I cried because it was so bad and so far removed from the book.

Edited by katpaws, 20 September 2019 - 11:04 AM.


#50 seayork2002

Posted 20 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

View Postkatpaws, on 20 September 2019 - 11:03 AM, said:

Already have - Kenny Wormald and Julianne Hough in Footloose started in a remake released in 2011.

Ah I hope they used to original song!




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.