Jump to content

Menstrual blood on TV - OK or not?


  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#51 lalalove

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

Cool ad. I liked it. No issues here.

#52 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

But I think they should be showing dirty nappies, unclean toilets, dirty ovens, floors with actual dirt on them, ads with parents of newborns who are not in spotless while pants and white tops, kids having tantrums in McDonald's, Couples having an argument over parking.

Ads actually showing people in real situations.

If they wanted to actually show a real genuine ad over people periods why not show the blood on the sheets, the women who cannot get put of bed, the blood on the toilet floor, the migraines

People seem to want to get past the stigma but do people also only want 'fluffy kitten ads'?
well, the ad in question depicts
- a woman who doesn't have a pad/tampon and asks her friend(s) at a dinner table if they have any pads she could have
- a bloke buying a packet of pads (presumably because his partner has run short)
- a couple of trails of blood running down a thigh in a shower
- women who look like they are supposed to be experiencing cramping/pain (again presumably during their period)
- a girl getting passed a pad by her friends during class
- a girl changing her pad while in a toilet (although that's the part that is pixelated out)

All of the above seems pretty normal to me. And not required to be shot in a lab.

Some things are hard to depict - for example mood swings, migraines, cramps. Those things are internally experienced and not usually visually apparent. It's hard to make that look factual, although they all certainly do occur.

For most women, when you ask them about periods, it's not the actual menstrual products that they necessarily have to worry about. It's
- do I have enough pads/tampons with me?
- do I need to buy more?
- if I am wiped out on my first (2nd or 3rd) day, what do I have to do about school/work?
- do I need to modify my activities for the next day or so? What will I say is the reason?
- here comes my bloody period migraine again!
- where's the ibuprofen? I feel like sh*t (again)
- is there leakage? Is it obvious?
- where can I change my pad/tampon/cup/pants? Is there a toilet nearby?

I think the ad does a reasonable job of making a period look like it should - a normal part of life (that sucks, for most women!)

#53 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:44 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

But I think they should be showing dirty nappies, unclean toilets, dirty ovens, floors with actual dirt on them, ads with parents of newborns who are not in spotless while pants and white tops, kids having tantrums in McDonald's, Couples having an argument over parking.

Ads actually showing people in real situations.

If they wanted to actually show a real genuine ad over people periods why not show the blood on the sheets, the women who cannot get put of bed, the blood on the toilet floor, the migraines

People seem to want to get past the stigma but do people also only want 'fluffy kitten ads'?

But aren't you the one saying you don't want to see the blood?  You seem to be the one wanting the fluffy kittens, whilst most of the rest of us are saying "yes" to more real life.

I have always laughed at the "My tampons make me feel safe and protected" ads.  

The whole point of this is to remove the stigma that periods are gross and unclean, and that menstruating women should be locked away when 'bleeding'.  

We don't say that babies should be locked away in case they dirty their nappy - everyone knows what it means to change a nappy.  

So I think yes, maybe people (ie men) need to see that it's not actually so bad.

There was a washing detergent ad a while ago showing a kid who had wet the bed taking his sheets off and into the laundry.  So what would be so bad about some blood on the sheets.  Or a teenage girl changing her sheets, even if no blood was shown?

#54 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 18 September 2019 - 01:44 PM, said:

But aren't you the one saying you don't want to see the blood?  You seem to be the one wanting the fluffy kittens, whilst most of the rest of us are saying "yes" to more real life.

I have always laughed at the "My tampons make me feel safe and protected" ads.  

The whole point of this is to remove the stigma that periods are gross and unclean, and that menstruating women should be locked away when 'bleeding'.  

We don't say that babies should be locked away in case they dirty their nappy - everyone knows what it means to change a nappy.  

So I think yes, maybe people (ie men) need to see that it's not actually so bad.

There was a washing detergent ad a while ago showing a kid who had wet the bed taking his sheets off and into the laundry.  So what would be so bad about some blood on the sheets.  Or a teenage girl changing her sheets, even if no blood was shown?

I don't care if there is blood or not - although I am sure someone can point out where I said I don't want to see it though

Did they actually show the urine on the sheets?

#55 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

More tying yourself in knots in a failed attempt to be a contrarian Seayork.

You don’t ‘see the need’ to show (pretend) blood, but at the same time you heartily embrace the idea of showing a dirty toilet because it’s ‘real’’.

Which is it? Unecessary, or necessary?

#56 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM

Leakage could be implied. Just have a woman sneeze and then "that look".

Here's one I'd like to see that was me: girl with blood on the back of her skirt who doesn't know she has started her period. I had a teacher who I trusted approaching me and telling me this.

As for showing real does NO ONE remember the old Spray and Wipe ads?

*begins playing the piano*

Edited by Lunafreya, 18 September 2019 - 01:51 PM.


#57 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostTrixieBelden, on 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

More tying yourself in knots in a failed attempt to be a contrarian Seayork.

You don’t ‘see the need’ to show (pretend) blood, but at the same time you heartily embrace the idea of showing a dirty toilet because it’s ‘real’’.

Which is it? Unecessary, or necessary?

It's whatever you want it to be

#58 Kallie88

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:52 PM

I'm fine with it

#59 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:53 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 18 September 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Leakage could be implied. Just have a woman sneeze and then "that look".

Here's one I'd like to see that was me: girl with blood on the back of her skirt who doesn't know she has started her period. I had a teacher who I trusted approaching me and telling me this.

As for showing real does NO ONE remember the old Spray and Wipe ads?

*begins playing the piano*

I have had many people  have to say this to me and my skirt in my knickers (not period related, sometimes)

#60 ~J_F~

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 01:46 PM, said:



I don't care if there is blood or not - although I am sure someone can point out where I said I don't want to see it though

Did they actually show the urine on the sheets?

They were wet. How does one show urine other than that?

I am sure you will have the answer :lol:

#61 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

Maybe what it comes down to is that -

everybody wee's and poo's from birth, so we don't need to show it.  We grow up experiencing it - every single one of us.

Only half the population menstruate, and even then, not from birth.  It has to be learned about - and only half of us seem to learn much about it.  The other half don't - it is hidden, and dirty, and stigmatised.

Ads like this are not really for us that experience it.  The question is - do those who don't know anything about it need to know about it?  My answer to this is YES.

If anything to put an end to "jokes" like:

"What do you call a girl who's on her period?"
"You call her next week".

#62 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:06 PM

^ I'm sorry, I laughed at that and I know I shouldn't.

I recall another about a lawnmower in K-Mart

#63 Holidayromp

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:35 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 18 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:



I hope they aren't going to show what erectile dysfunction looks like on TV 😳

Same!!!!!!!!

#64 purplekitty

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 18 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

I hope they aren't going to show what erectile dysfunction looks like on TV
:)

Wouldn't bother me but considering we had to wait decades to see a penis on TV i'm not holding my breath.

#65 steppy

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:01 PM

I think it's fine to have the blood. Maybe we can stop making out its the secret of the century and start treating it as a perfectly normal part of life.

#66 Literary Lemur

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

And yet seemingly very little hysteria from people regarding female naked corpses with knife wounds and blood.

Edited by Literary Lemur, 18 September 2019 - 03:20 PM.


#67 Dadto2

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

So it's not blue?

#68 Lou-bags

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 18 September 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

I found it confronting, but I think it's good. I think there's a lot of stuff done under the name of 'privacy' that is actually about creating shame, and the less of that the better.

Which part did you find confronting?

Also, like Trixie, I can’t fathom how you could have a 7yo daughter and periods have never come up before! My 6yo son has known about them since he was 3yo. It’s just a part of life and not something I’d ever considered hiding.

#69 katpaws

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

There has been a ruling on the ad:

https://www.abc.net....bra-ad/11521530

There was an ad that was either banned or removed from QLD tv a few years back because it showed men talking about women and their periods (in a positive way, ie "When I go shopping for my girlfriend..." sort of thing or showing men to be a bit bewildered about it all). That was an excellent ad.

One of the most confronting things I have read was The Female Eunuch where Greer wrote "consider the idea of tasting your own menstrual blood". I had to think why i found this confronting and it pushed me outside my comfort zone, and that for me being a girl/woman having periods was something I was made to feel ashamed of, the "disgust" I could feel being female or made to feel.

I think if an ad can make girls feel better about being girls, then I am all for it.

#70 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:08 PM

View Postkatpaws, on 18 September 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

One of the most confronting things I have read was The Female Eunuch where Greer wrote "consider the idea of tasting your own menstrual blood". I had to think why i found this confronting and it pushed me outside my comfort zone, and that for me being a girl/woman having periods was something I was made to feel ashamed of, the "disgust" I could feel being female or made to feel.
I find that confronting because there aren't too many bodily secretions that I ever want to taste, and that includes menstrual fluids. Why would you???

I have never had the urge to drink my own sweat, gulp down some venous blood or skull a shot of my own urine. Why on earth would one think about taste-testing your own menstrual blood? That seems a bizarre concept. Just because you can doesn't mean you should ...

#71 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:16 PM

Does tasting your own breastmilk count? ;)

#72 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:18 PM

Yes, that is so ick.  It's not like sucking a finger if you cut it.....

But I also found the thought of tasting my own breast milk icky, which has absolutely no logical reason, since I was happy to give it to both my babies.   Not a shame thing though, as I was happy to BF in public without shrouding every sign of skin etc.

#73 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:20 PM

I tasted it a few times, but I was more curious. The icky part was when I got it all over me, especially in the morning.

It was way too sweet for my tastes usually.

#74 amdirel

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:29 PM

I don't like the ad. The music was really annoying.

Other than that, I'm ok with it.

#75 rosie28

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:44 PM

View PostDadto2, on 18 September 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

So it's not blue?

Not only that, which I know is shocking, but we don’t all take up horse riding, volleyball or frolicking on the beach while we’re menstruating either!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

 

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

 
Advertisement
 

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement
 
 
 

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

 

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

 
Advertisement
 
 
Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.