Menstrual blood on TV - OK or not?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#26 123tree

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:39 PM

I don’t care about menstrual blood but I really don’t want to see poo 💩 on tv when they advertise toilet paper. I just don’t like the idea.

#27 Cimbom

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

I don’t think it’s that different. Anyone who finds it offensive can change the channel

#28 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

Yes why don't we see real babies nappies, real people wiping their bottoms with toilet paper, real people throwing up, real people having periods.

Toilet cleaner is only shown on spotless toilets

Showing blood or not do people really have periods as they show in the ads? I don't personally

#29 jayskette

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:44 PM

I thought it was just some red liquid!

#30 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:46 PM

View PostCimbom, on 18 September 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

I don’t think it’s that different. Anyone who finds it offensive can change the channel

If I watch the news, for example, I am aware of what could be on I am specifically watching

I do not know when ads are on

so although I am not bothered if I see the ad or not IMO it is different

#31 Lunafreya

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

I often watch the ABC. No ads :)

#32 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 18 September 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

I often watch the ABC. No ads :)

I don't see ads either I either watch online shows or recorded stuff so we fast forward the ads

#33 Sweet.Pea

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

View Postjayskette, on 18 September 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

I thought it was just some red liquid!

That's what it looked like to me!

I personally don't care - better yet, how about they stop trying to sell us stuff every 5 minutes.

#34 Holidayromp

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

Well we have ads on erectile disfunction so why should menstrual blood be any different?

The sooner we remove all the secrecy such as ‘woman’s business’ away from what is a natural process for procreation the bloody better if you pardon the pun!

#35 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:01 PM

I found it more concerning that there was someone with a seven year old who hasn’t discussed periods yet.

Girls are reaching menses younger, I can’t imagine what kind of weirdness would make you leave it that late and then suddenly feel you’ve been forced into sharing basic biological facts because an ad for pads replaces the blue liquid with red liquid.

#36 CallMeFeral

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:02 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

Showing blood or not do people really have periods as they show in the ads? I don't personally

What are you referring to? I saw people sitting, grimacing, smiling, a girl changing her pad, one in the shower - what exactly in that is alien to you?

#37 Freddie'sMum

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

There are certainly "true crime" shows that depict rape and murder in graphic, gruesome detail so a bit of period blood is fine by me.

I think we need to take the stigma and shame out of periods.  Lots of people are really messed up that girls and women have periods.  They don't want to acknowledge them or talk about them and that feeds into the shame that females get periods.

I like the ad.

#38 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 12:35 PM, said:

If they wanted to show it for scientific purposes then they could have done it in a lab showing just the facts
yes, because all ads should be purely factual, scientific and shot in a lab whenever possible. Because that will help to normalise it. :blink:

The ad in the article has very little (menstrual) blood shown. Out of a long ad (I think it's over 2 minutes long??), it would be lucky to have 3 seconds (total) of any kind of blood shown.

#39 Sweet.Pea

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostHolidayromp, on 18 September 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

Well we have ads on erectile disfunction so why should menstrual blood be any different?

The sooner we remove all the secrecy such as ‘woman’s business’ away from what is a natural process for procreation the bloody better if you pardon the pun!

I hope they aren't going to show what erectile dysfunction looks like on TV 😳

#40 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

View PostSweet.Pea, on 18 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

I hope they aren't going to show what erectile dysfunction looks like on TV
:rofl: :rofl:

#41 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 18 September 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

yes, because all ads should be purely factual, scientific and shot in a lab whenever possible. Because that will help to normalise it. :blink:

The ad in the article has very little (menstrual) blood shown. Out of a long ad (I think it's over 2 minutes long??), it would be lucky to have 3 seconds (total) of any kind of blood shown.

But I thought showing the ad was meant so show the absorption that is why I mentioned if that was the ads purpose  then a lab would be more appropriate

#42 Sandra

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

Personally I find Trump offensive but he is allowed on  TV...

Much rather watch an ad that has red liquid than him..

#43 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

The ad is meant to get your attention and hopefully get you to buy.

They have clearly achieved 1.

What's more, young females, who buy, are more likely to feel positive about the ad than old men, who dont.

Win win. They will probably get 2.

One of my kids favorite shows (we recorded) has an ad for the news in the middle, about the Texas shootings.  I'm a lot more upset about that one.

#44 ~J_F~

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:17 PM

It’s blood... people see more what’s in that add watching the news.

Some people want us to live in this world where things happen but are never discussed outside of whispers because that worked so damn well in the past!!

People are weird.

#45 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:20 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 18 September 2019 - 01:09 PM, said:

But I thought showing the ad was meant so show the absorption that is why I mentioned if that was the ads purpose  then a lab would be more appropriate
How many ads sell by using the facts only in pure scientific settings?  Advertising is about perceptions and expectations, it's rarely about facts!

I don't think a lab would be more appropriate. It would just make it seem very clinical and distant to what women actually experience IRL (not sure that many women experience their period in a laboratory setting).

One could say the same about ads for nappies, or incontinence pads, etc.

In any case, that's not the ad that the OP was asking about.

#46 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:24 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 18 September 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

How many ads sell by using the facts only in pure scientific settings?  Advertising is about perceptions and expectations, it's rarely about facts!

I don't think a lab would be more appropriate. It would just make it seem very clinical and distant to what women actually experience IRL (not sure that many women experience their period in a laboratory setting).

One could say the same about ads for nappies, or incontinence pads, etc.

In any case, that's not the ad that the OP was asking about.

But I think they should be showing dirty nappies, unclean toilets, dirty ovens, floors with actual dirt on them, ads with parents of newborns who are not in spotless while pants and white tops, kids having tantrums in McDonald's, Couples having an argument over parking.

Ads actually showing people in real situations.

If they wanted to actually show a real genuine ad over people periods why not show the blood on the sheets, the women who cannot get put of bed, the blood on the toilet floor, the migraines

People seem to want to get past the stigma but do people also only want 'fluffy kitten ads'?

#47 ~J_F~

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

But they do show ads with unclean toilets, dirty ovens, floors with dirt on them, ads with parents and kids messy, kids having tantrums, couples arguing. sh*t I am not so sure about but it’s probably been done.

It’s seems to be the trend of ads to show real life instead of a perfect one!

My reality isn’t blood on the sheets, not being able to get out of bed, migraines or blood on the toilet floor - it’s more like the ad, which you claim isn’t reality for you?!

Edited by ~J_F~, 18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM.

#48 seayork2002

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

View Post~J_F~, on 18 September 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

But they do show ads with unclean toilets, dirty ovens, floors with dirt on them, ads with parents and kids messy, kids having tantrums, couples arguing. sh*t I am not so sure about but it’s probably been done.

It’s seems to be the trend of ads to show real life instead of a perfect one!

It has been a while since i have seen ads but regardless of the product all the worlds seem perfect

Usual disclaimer though I am sure people have lots of examples of normal ads I just can't think of any

#49 TrixieBelden

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

The spray and wipe one where a woman wipes the benches with raw chicken turns my stomach far more than this.

#50 Mrs Zee

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

The fact is that everyone poos. The pressure to hush about it is not the same as with menstrual blood. Part of that is simply because it's not something that happens to the entire population. I'm willing to bet almost anything that the complaints would be vastly different if it was urine or faeces. Because apparently menstrual blood is dirty and gross and something that we can't talk about openly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.