Menstrual blood on TV - OK or not?

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#151 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:32 PM

Periods are red.  Time to show them as red instead of blue.

Unrelated but a fine example of what happens when we hide women's bodily functions away is something I saw on Twitter this morning in which a man told a woman that unless women pee out of their arses they must pee out of their vagina.  He went on to laughingly suggest "unless there's a third hole..."

#152 purplekitty

Posted 20 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

View PostBadCat, on 20 September 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Unrelated but a fine example of what happens when we hide women's bodily functions away is something I saw on Twitter this morning in which a man told a woman that unless women pee out of their arses they must pee out of their vagina.  He went on to laughingly suggest "unless there's a third hole..."
:rofl:

#153 #YKG

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:44 PM

View PostBadCat, on 20 September 2019 - 06:32 PM, said:

Clearly this bright button missed anatomy in science/health class, did he not realise females also have urethras?

#154 BadCat

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

Nope.  He was completely oblivious.  Twitter educated him.  With diagrams.

#155 purplekitty

Posted 20 September 2019 - 07:55 PM

Thank goodness there is sex ed. in schools and it is not left up to parents.

#156 Freddie'sMum

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

One of the PPs talked about her grandmother getting her period and being scared she was bleeding to death because she didn't know what was happening to her own body.  

I was a teenager in the 80s and my friend didn't know anything about periods.  I was absolutely gob smacked.  We were both 14 years old and I started my periods at 12.  I felt so sorry for her because she hadn't been told anything.

#157 Chocolate Addict

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:26 PM

I don't want to see any sort of blood while I am eating. :p If they show them around dinner time I find it off putting, but I also don't watch medical shows or the like when I am eating.
I love watching medical/surgical shows though. :)

I think I have only seen one of the latest ads.

I kinda wish they were around when I was a kid, my mother told me nothing, absolutely nothing so I was horrified when it happened and had no idea what the F was going on. :(

Edited by Chocolate Addict, 20 September 2019 - 08:26 PM.

#158 Paddlepop

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:38 PM

View PostBadCat, on 20 September 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Nope.  He was completely oblivious.  Twitter educated him.  With diagrams.

Link please?

#159 kimasa

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:42 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 20 September 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

I don't want to see any sort of blood while I am eating. :p If they show them around dinner time I find it off putting, but I also don't watch medical shows or the like when I am eating.
I love watching medical/surgical shows though. :)

I think I have only seen one of the latest ads.

I kinda wish they were around when I was a kid, my mother told me nothing, absolutely nothing so I was horrified when it happened and had no idea what the F was going on. :(

I wrote a will outlining which of my friends get my stuff. I honestly thought I was dying.

Thank goodness for aunts who are only 14 years older than you. Mum wasn't going to tell me anything, she just gave me a pack of pads and said I had to use them, but my aunt came through with the explanation.

#160 76 others

Posted 20 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 20 September 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Link please?

It's everywhere on Twitter. I saw a guy "educating" women that periods were a sign your body was not healthy and a good diet and exercise will rectify the problem of bleeding unnecessarily.

#161 kimasa

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

r/badwomensanatomy

#162 No Drama Please

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostChocolate Addict, on 20 September 2019 - 08:26 PM, said:

Same. I found some panty liners in the back of a cupboard and was using those instead of pads because I had no idea what to do. Mum was furious when she kept finding blood covered underwear hidden in my room.

I would have loved to have some clue or even better to have it normalised by advertising, not everyone grows up in an open and loving
environment. The more information young women have access to the better.

#163 Soontobegran

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

View PostYodaTheWrinkledOne, on 19 September 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

what's triggering about a period? genuine question.

Unless you are one of the women for whom the onset of a period means days and days of soaking through pads and clothes until you are anaemic and iron deficient or suffering pain which requires opiates to stem the pain then probably nothing is triggering about a period.

A normal period is generally something women cope with just fine, unfortunately there is a world of women who just don't have normal periods.

#164 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 20 September 2019 - 09:40 PM

View PostLou-bags, on 20 September 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

Well there you go, that really surprises me. My kids do not stop asking questions about every bloody little thing they see, every thing I do, on and on. I once counted the questions DS1 asked me on a drive to my mums house. It was over 90 questions in 20 minutes. To be fair, some were the same question over and over (if I didn’t answer because I was concentrating) but damn these kids do not stop. I just assumed it was like that for everyone.

Dd has never been like that unless something has really grabbed her interest. Even as a toddler she wasn't into everything, didn't put stuff in her mouth, nothing. I didnt have to remove or put up high anything when she started walking.

90 in 20? *faints* my head would have exploded internally

#165 Lou-bags

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

View Post*Nasty*Squeekums*, on 20 September 2019 - 09:40 PM, said:

90 in 20? *faints* my head would have exploded internally

He was 3 at the time and going through a phase of being like that every single car trip. I guess he knew he had a captive audience. Severely tested my patience. And if I ignored a question he’d keep asking it louder and louder until I did. Then all of a sudden he became really into the Moana soundtrack and so I played that on repeat for blessed relief from the questions.

Thankfully he wasn’t quite as prolific with the questions in most other settings, and he has toned it down a lot now at 6yo. I might keep a tally one day just out of curiosity lol.

#166 ExpatInAsia

Posted 20 September 2019 - 10:12 PM

I can see how some people would find it confronting but I think that is a good thing. We need to normalize these things not hide them away as secret women’s business.

#167 #YKG

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:21 AM

View Post76 others, on 20 September 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

It's everywhere on Twitter. I saw a guy "educating" women that periods were a sign your body was not healthy and a good diet and exercise will rectify the problem of bleeding unnecessarily.

There’s a woman on YouTube who I won’t name, she’s Australian and did a whole video on periods and how it was your body trying to get rid of toxins and it was a good sign if it stopped as it meant your body is healthy and working properly.
She also tried to claim that everyone can achieve a “thigh gap” and had nothing to do with how narrow or wide your hips are naturally set. And if you didn’t have one you were overweight, she has a teen to young adult based audience who believe this crap.

#168 Paddlepop

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:30 AM

YKG: I know which YouTuber you're talking about. She's a nutter. Too many bananas. I'm still not sure how she justifies the fake boobs. Surely they're two bags of toxins on her chest.

#169 Pocket...

Posted 21 September 2019 - 12:35 AM

I had a friend who thought that periods lasted seven days but only like one hour or something per day. Fortunately I got my period before she got hers so when she questioned why my period hadn't stopped for the day I could explain what actually happens.

Next advertising step could be outlining what extreme heavy bleeding and pain are and that while common, it's not necessarily normal, and when to insist on further investigation.

#170 RabbitHash

Posted 21 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

I want a public health campaign about normal periods. I had 20 years of severe pain, diarrhoea, nausea, fatigue and headaches before I realised this doesn't happen to everyone. And despite seeking help from numerous doctors who all told me there was nothing wrong.
I laugh at those stupid ads where women with periods are gleefully swimming and playing beach volleyball. I was curled in a ball in bed for two days every month in misery.

#171 BadCat

Posted 21 September 2019 - 08:23 AM

At the risk of being shot down - periods can be triggering to people in female bodies who are not women.

I don't think that's a reason not to show red periods though.

Edited by BadCat, 21 September 2019 - 08:47 AM.

#172 kimasa

Posted 22 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostRabbitHash, on 21 September 2019 - 07:30 AM, said:

I want a public health campaign about normal periods. I had 20 years of severe pain, diarrhoea, nausea, fatigue and headaches before I realised this doesn't happen to everyone. And despite seeking help from numerous doctors who all told me there was nothing wrong.
I laugh at those stupid ads where women with periods are gleefully swimming and playing beach volleyball. I was curled in a ball in bed for two days every month in misery.

As a teen I once had a GP who after I'd explained my periods, asked my Mum to leave the room, then smirked at me and said "Okay, come clean, what assignment didn't you do?"

It wasn't until my 20s and over a decade of horrible symptoms that a doctor went "Uhh, you know this isn't normal, right?“ THANK YOU DR.AMBROSE YOU MARVELLOUS, MARVELLOUS WOMAN.

#173 AliasMater

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

I think it is fine to show on tv. Everything is a shock to some the first time TV breaks a taboo... then it becomes normalised.

#174 kimasa

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

Also worth mentioning was an AskReddit thread about doctors not taking you seriously and a whole bunch of people defending doctors not taking endometriosis and PCOS symptoms seriously in teens because both are incurable and no one wants to give a teen a diagnosis with no cure, that's something better done in adulthood.

What the actual ****? If you have it, you have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.