Which suburb (and school) would you choose : Sutherland or Lindfield

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tobemommy

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:32 AM

Hello dear mums

We are considering options between Lindfield and Sutherland suburbs. We will be renting for next few years and see how we go with buying a property. We have been living in the north shore for last 14 years so a bit torn as it would be a big change ! But then again this is again just within Sydney and people change countries so don't want to make it such a big deal either !

These are the Pros and Cons I have come up with so far. Is there anything else we should consider ? From long term view (e.g. govt. plans, transportation, high schools ) can someone offer any perspective please ?

Lindfield :
Pros
-Leafy popular suburb
-Child would be in popular "north shore" public school.
-School is reputed to have good teachers and great swimming focus
-Multi-cultural mix of people
-Confirmed spot in After and Before school care for 2020
Cons-
- No friends live in and around this area .
- Train from city takes 30 mins approx

Sutherland :
Pros
- 3 of our closest friends have moved to Sutherland this year.
- Being closer to friends is primary advantage - more sense of community / village ? They can help pick up kid from school etc. Frequent dinners/weekends together.
- Train from city also only takes 35 mins approx which is not so bad
- Rent is much cheaper for better and newer apartments
- Loved the feel of the area when we went for a visit (again it could be novelty of being new?)
Cons:
- Haven't been able to gather much info on Sutherland or Sutherland North Public School. Not sure how would you compare it with Lindfield public ?
-Having lived in the North Shore and Northern Beaches for past 14  years this would be huge move
- No confirmed spot available in ASC yet (we are 13 on Waitlist for Sutherland Public)

Which one would you choose if you had the choice ?

Thanks !

#2 MarciaB

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:58 AM

Interesting 2 choices - they are very different suburbs - but both good places to live I would guess (we have friends in both!).

1 thing I would add to your list of considerations (even though if probably feels like years away) is high schools.

We are in innerwest Sydney and lots of kids travel up from the Shire for school (private).  So maybe have a think about what kind of high school you are looking at - Lindfield would have a lot more choices I think (public, private and Catholic) - but there are obviously good schools around Sutherland - but maybe just think about what options you might like.

Do you work in the City?  Public transport to the City for both suburbs is pretty good - but I think Lindfield would be quicker if you needed to get home in a hurry (taxi would be cheaper I think). Not sure whether that would be a consideration.

I think I would be swayed by close friends in the area if you have no family nearby - and if you like the beach and visiting the beach on weekends - I would pick Sutherland!

#3 lozoodle

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:15 AM

OP I have sent you a PM

Edited by lozoodle, 18 September 2019 - 11:18 AM.

#4 gracie1978

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:42 AM

We moved from North to South and it was a big adjustment.

I'd stay Northside if I had my time over.

Having said that I'm in the inner south, I don't think I went far enough, Sutherland looks lovely.

Hopefully you can go somewhere that has great highschool options as well.

#5 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

I won't be of much help - but I grew up around Lindfield, and love, love, loved it.  I'd move back to the North Shore in a heartbeat.

But, I have cousins and friends who grew up and/or now live in the Shire, and they love it as much as I did the North Shore.  

Friends are very important, so that would sway me.  However you will make new friends too.  How much do you love the beach?  If you would go every weekend in Summer, then Sutherland is probably better for that.......

I'd stay North Shore, but I am totally biased.

#6 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

If you are going to make a 30 min train ride from Linfield to the city into a "con", then I suggest that the 35 minute train ride from Sutherland to the city is also a "con" rather than the currently listed "pro" that it is.

I vote Linfield, but that's because I lived more on the north shore than I did on the south. Both are good areas though.

#7 SallyJay

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

I'm close to Sutherland (Oyster Bay) and its a lovely place to live. As someone said above quite a few shire kids travel to private schools in the city and other suburbs. Benefits (from my perspective) would be the access to bush, ocean, river and plenty of parks etc, very quiet and peaceful, still can be fairly affordable in some areas, friendly people and lots of local things to do. Havent lived north though when we were looking here we were also looking around Turramurra and Wahroonga and I just preferred the vibe here.

#8 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

they’re two quite different suburbs. i spent some of my childhood years in sutherland - my mums family are all from around there. the public schools in the shire are all very good. and you might get more bang for your buck property wise in sutherland..as Lindfield is quite expensive. it’s quite nice too though ....both suburbs have a good train line.

#9 tobemommy

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

Thanks everyone for taking out the time to reply. Having so many friends there is totally a huge consideration for us which is why we are so confused.

Thanks for the tip on high school, hadn't thought in that perspective.

#10 tobemommy

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:00 PM

Sorry another naive question - was looking up more info on schools and high schools and found this website below.

What information do they take in - is it just the schools NAPLAN score ?

https://bettereducat...ls.aspx?yr=2018

(On this both Lindfield Public and Sutherland Public have an Overall State Score of 99 )  - not much help !

#11 QuirkyMum

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:06 PM

Train to city Lindfield vs Sutherland - not really comparable.
From Lindfield it is pretty much guaranteed 30 min train ride in an air conditioned train, most likely sitting even in morning peak times. There will be a train every several minutes.
From Sutherland - first of all you will need to live close to Sutherland station ( not Miranda, Kirrawee, etc) to catch 35 min express and if you missed it, wait for the next one will be longer than just a few minutes. So on average you cannot assume it will be 35 min train ride. Plus delays on other lines (from South/South West) always affect this one too.
No guarantees of air-conditioned carriages. Talk to people who catch these trains every day about being able to get a seat on a train... Once in a while I hear a collegue from Sutherland/area talking about things happening to this world because she/he got a seat that morning, how unusual that is... They are talking about peak hour probably.
Also is your work at Wynyard? If yes, there's no direct train from the south. Walk from Martin place isn't bad but if it is raining, you'll think twice.
We are on the north shore but 11 years ago we were having the same discussion with my husband, were looking for rentals in Sutherland etc
I'm glad we stayed because over years i hear complaints about trains being crammed, cancelled etc daily...

#12 Pip_longstockings

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

tobemommy, on 18 September 2019 - 10:32 AM, said:

Hello dear mums

We are considering options between Lindfield and Sutherland suburbs. We will be renting for next few years and see how we go with buying a property. We have been living in the north shore for last 14 years so a bit torn as it would be a big change ! But then again this is again just within Sydney and people change countries so don't want to make it such a big deal either !

These are the Pros and Cons I have come up with so far. Is there anything else we should consider ? From long term view (e.g. govt. plans, transportation, high schools ) can someone offer any perspective please ?

Lindfield :
Pros
-Leafy popular suburb
-Child would be in popular "north shore" public school.
-School is reputed to have good teachers and great swimming focus
-Multi-cultural mix of people
-Confirmed spot in After and Before school care for 2020
Cons-
- No friends live in and around this area .
- Train from city takes 30 mins approx

Sutherland :
Pros
- 3 of our closest friends have moved to Sutherland this year.
- Being closer to friends is primary advantage - more sense of community / village ? They can help pick up kid from school etc. Frequent dinners/weekends together.
- Train from city also only takes 35 mins approx which is not so bad
- Rent is much cheaper for better and newer apartments
- Loved the feel of the area when we went for a visit (again it could be novelty of being new?)
Cons:
- Haven't been able to gather much info on Sutherland or Sutherland North Public School. Not sure how would you compare it with Lindfield public ?
-Having lived in the North Shore and Northern Beaches for past 14  years this would be huge move
- No confirmed spot available in ASC yet (we are 13 on Waitlist for Sutherland Public)

Which one would you choose if you had the choice ?

Thanks !

Just for consideration, you are moving to be close to friends, and have a pro you can help with school pick ups. Will your children go to the same school? This is a hard thing to rely on if at different schools. Are your children the same age? Again, this will impact availability and ability to assist with pick ups etc.

I understand moving to be close to friends but I think you need to move because you love the feel and vibe of the area. This is what will make living there enjoyable, your friends may not be able to assist or your friends may move. If they were not there would you still be considering it?

#13 Jennifaraway

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:27 PM

I'm completely biased because I grew up in Lindfield & Gordon (I went to Lindfield Public from K to 3, then PLC in Pymble), and my inlaws are in Sutherland (so a very good reason NOT to live there). I would also move back to the north shore in a heartbeat if we could afford it, even though it's gotten more "up market" than the middle class it used to be (in my opinion! My parents live in Wahroonga). I'm west-northwest-hills now and DS loves his school so we're unlikely to move east.

I find that Sutherland is quite insular - to the point that it doesn't feel like the rest of Sydney (sort of like the northern beaches, actually, but different). DH, who grew up in Miranda, always makes jokes about the terrible drivers in the Shire when we go down there, and he has no desire to move back.

I think with school pickups etc, you're more likely to meet other school parents who could help with that. Like a PP, I don't think having friends in the general area will necessarily help. Schools are so closely zoned in most of Sydney there's no guarantee they'll be at the same school.

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

Shire girl here so I’m biased

There are lots of good public schools in the area other than just Sutherland, plus St Pats which has a good rep as a local catholic school.  Good public high schools in the area as well.    There isn’t one that I can think of that I wouldn’t send my kids to at the moment, but as you know that can change from year to year.   My son is at Kirrawee High and my daughter graduated from there last year    

Close to the beach, National Park, and a 40 minute run to the city in off peak traffic.  Give it an hour in peak.

Sutherland has evolved into a commuter hub, so the trains can be a bit packed depending on when you will be travelling.    You can switch trains at Town hall to go to Wynyard. 48 minute trip.    There is also a local public bus service that is being trialled for areS of the Shire.   Picks you up at your door and drops to local hubs.  

We live in Sylvania and hubby works North Sydney and drives (his preference). He leaves around 7am and it’s a 40 minute trip door to door, so not horrible.  If he leaves later it blows out to an hour.

Local Traffic is horrific at the moment as they are upgrading the Princes Hwy through Sutherland and Kirrawee.   Saturday mornings it can take you 20 minutes to travel from Sylvania to Sutherland

Some great restaurants have popped up in Sutherland, Kirrawee, Cronulla

We have a plethora of sports options for kids as well. Soccer, gridiron, rugby, rugby league, dancing, basketball, gymnastics, tennis, swimming, whatever.

#15 hunter4

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:25 AM

As someone who grew up just south of Sutherland and then moved just north of Lindfield If I were to go back now and chose between them for me it would be Sutherland.

The cheaper prices are a definite plus as are the local friends.

As far as Trains go - if you lived in Sutherland and could walk to the train station then it will be fine, But if you aren't within walking distance of Sutherland train station then the trains to the city would be a con for me.  From any of the other stations nearby trains only generally run once every half hour if your lucky which whilst not terrible is not great - the north shore line the trains are generally more regular running every 5-10 mins to Lindfield - much more convenient.  

Definitely think about high schools - I prefer public high schools and would be more than happy to send my kids to any of the schools around the Sutherland shire - but if you were hoping for private Lindfield may have more options.

I do love Sutherlands easy access to beaches - even Wollongong beaches are only a short drive away and national parks. But if you are more of a city person I feel like Lindfield does provide easier access to the city.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.