Going from one child to two. Regrets?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#51 littleboysmum

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

I also struggled more with 0-1 than 1-2 or even 2-3. I felt much more confident and relaxed with numbers 2 and 3 whilst I was very stressed with number 1. My number 2 wasn’t always the easiest baby but boy has she turned into the most delightful child. She is the absolute best and I adore her. I adore all 3 really, wouldn’t be without any of them.

#52 Kreme

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:30 PM

It’s a cliche but having the second one was the best decision we ever made. I am a much better parent to 2 kids than I was to one. I overthought everything with one kid, with two I just got stuck in. I achieved more in a day with a toddler and a baby than I’d ever managed with only one.

We have a 17 month age gap and I wouldn’t have done it any differently. I grew up the youngest by 4 years and I hated it! I see so many benefits for all of us in having the kids close together.

#53 123tree

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:40 PM

DH wanted two and I wanted one. I just kind of went along with it because I felt pressured and thought it may take a while at my age. I ended up getting pregnant immediately after going off the pill and not really getting used to the idea. I didn’t have the greatest pregnancy either.

I think these combined with the fact I am naturally an over thinker and DH spending a lot of time away from home contributed to PND. However I think that was more about the fact I was a going through a crazy emotional and sleep deprived time had more to do with that than my beautiful second son.

My advice be at peace with the decision before the roller coaster. From my perspective.

However lots of families have surprises and roll with it. Now I have two beautiful boys less than two years apart and wouldn’t swap it for the world. They are very close and best friends 95 percent of the time.

#54 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:45 PM

Becoming the parent of a second has been a much bigger struggle for us than the first. It may be personality, but suddenly we’ve gone from sort of somewhat successfully managing one between us to both being absolutely completely stretched juggling two. And it feels like neither kid gets the best of us. I was busy with the first but sort of still had time to breath. I mourn the brilliant relationship I had with my first. He has had to take a back seat, and that is hard. But the second also gets a raw deal as well. Despite that, they really do adore each other, and the first tells me he prefers being a brother to being an only. Not sure it’ll always be that way!

#55 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:57 PM

Those two minutes between going from one to two just did not give me enough time to form an opinion on having a single child.

#56 gracie1978

Posted 17 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

I'm going from 1 to 3
Ask me in January how that's working for me...

#57 WaitForMe

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:43 PM

Life was so much easier with one!

Maybe when my youngest is a bit older I'll feel differently. I really hope so anyway!

#58 MissMilla

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:01 PM

We dont regret it, but it was definitely quite a shock for me and especially DH.

I think it was also because our first DS was an incredibly easy baby. He just slept all day and was always happy. Dont think ive heard him make a sound until he was like 6months old. He never cried, was always smiling and calm. Literally the only difficult thing was, that he wanted to feed every 2h day and night until i weaned him at 1 year. Other than that he was so perfect.

DH and i just thought babies are so incredibly easy and we are doing everything right.. then DD arrived.. oh boy, she just turned our world upside down.
She didnt sleep well, when she was awake she was usually crying. Always had to be carried, but hated every baby carrier. Hated the pram, hated the car, hated everyone but me for a while. It was sooo exhausting! And DS also started acting up when he was about 2 and realised that his sister is getting all the attention with her 'bad' behaviour.
It was a rough first 3 years, but DD is 3.5 years now and things have finally calmed down. She is a bit more reasonable and so is DS. Also DS is in kindy all day, maybe that helps ;)

Its beautiful to see the 2 of them stick up for each other and play happily together for hours.

But yes, it was hard at first. After DS we decided we should have 3 or 4 children, since we make such good ones! DH got a vasectomy when DD was about 1 year old 😂
But we are glad we have the 2 of them and would do it all over again

#59 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:16 PM

View PostMose, on 17 September 2019 - 01:53 PM, said:

I noticed that too, but also that everyone so far with a biggish gap (4 years plus) thought the gap was awesome, irrespective of whether it was planned.

My dream was a two year gap.  In honesty, I think it might have broken me if that had eventuated. Six years has been awesome.

So far a 6 year gap is great for me and Im finding it much easier parenting wise, but I worry that DS will be left out because my older 2 are close together in age. If money was no object I would probably go again!

#60 newmumandexcited

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:45 PM

Regret the closeness in age.

Edited by newmumandexcited, 19 September 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#61 StartledFlamingo

Posted 18 September 2019 - 09:56 PM

I sometimes regret having 2 - mainly when one of them has an extended visit to their Grandparents place and I am reminded how much easier life is with just one! How much more time you get to yourself with 2-adult 1-kid ratio.

The sibling jealousy drives me batty sometimes too. The mediation and negotiation of their conflicting wants gets exhausting. But then they'll have a sweet moment together.

#62 rubyskye

Posted 19 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

We don't regret having 2 but sometimes feel the age gap was too close (25 months). I've spent the past 4 years pregnant or breastfeeding without a break, cosleeping with each child. It's taken a toll on DH and I relationship. A massive toll. Having said that our 2 absolutely adore eachother, I am so happy they have eachother and we have both of them.
We always said we'd have 3 but I can't see that happening anymore.
So no regrets but it has been very difficult.

#63 Soontobegran

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

Going from 0-1 for me was without doubt the hardest transition. A life when I only had to think of myself and (sometimes my husband) a career which I had exactly where I wanted it to be instead of being at the beck and call of a baby.

Going from 1-2 just over a year later was a breeze. I had motherhood in the bag by then and I was not nearly as stressed about getting it done perfectly as I did first time around. She just fitted in, they often had naps at the same time so I had some time out.

Going from 2-3 another year and a bit later was also easy and #3 was my easiest baby.

Going from #3-4 and then 4-5 is an entirely different story :)

I will admit that my view on matters may have been altered if I had a child with special needs.

#64 lalalove

Posted 19 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Not going to lie, going from 1 to 2 was hard. But I have absolutely no regrets.

Am now pregnant with 3 :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.