Landscaping ideas PLEASE! (freaking out)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 busymum01

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

Hi EB folks, I'm desperately hoping someone will hold my hand here and tell me everything will be FINE...

We're looking at taking a sea-change and building a new home on what seems a tiny 597m2 block (compared to our rural living of the past 20 years). And I'm properly starting to panic at not being able to have a usable garden.

As luck would have it, we're not millionaires and this is the largest block we can afford in the development. The house plan we like, when taking the setbacks into account will mean there's roughly 5m x 17m front yard, 2.5m x 17m running along the back of the house and a 30m x 5m run up the side of the house of which all of our living areas and alfresco look out to.

We will need to fence from the side of the house to the side boundary as we have a dog. All of our children bar one teenager have left home so there's no need for trampolines or cubby houses. BUT my question is if anyone else has a similar sized long, narrow space, I'd love to see it. Or if you can talk me down from the ledge and say yes, you totally can have neat manicured lawn and a hedge, it'll BE FINE and not look stupid. That'd be great too. xx

Shiiiiite! :(

#2 Just Jack

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:31 PM

It will be fine ☺ Our block is smaller than that, and out garden is great (or could look lovely if we spent any time maintaining it) Get a garden designer in if you're worried ☺

#3 busymum01

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

Thanks Just Jack, you're right. I'm just flipping out at it being very different space to what I'm used to. AND BREATHE. ;)

#4 MsLaurie

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

It will totally be fine! Do some searches on Pinterest for “small gardens” or “tiny gardens”- you have oodles of space compared to many!
Think about using your vertical space in the narrow section- colourful creepers on the fence, layered narrow plants, maybe espaliered trees if you like that formal look? Underplantings of annuals for a bit of variation and pops of colour. Lots of options!

#5 busymum01

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:05 PM

View PostMsLaurie, on 17 September 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

It will totally be fine! Do some searches on Pinterest for “small gardens” or “tiny gardens”- you have oodles of space compared to many!
Think about using your vertical space in the narrow section- colourful creepers on the fence, layered narrow plants, maybe espaliered trees if you like that formal look? Underplantings of annuals for a bit of variation and pops of colour. Lots of options!

I LOVE those ideas MsLaurie. I can say with 100% certainty there will be a LOT of time invested into Pinterest. ;)

We have two bedroom windows and a family room glass door that open to the 3m deep section and I predict looking out to the neighbour's retaining wall isn't going to be great. I love the look of criss-cross creeping star jasmine, so I'm hoping that might grow in there. I doubt grass will grow in the space so pebbles and stepping pavers for the ground.

#6 can'tstayaway

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:28 PM

I get it. We moved from average to an inner city block. It will be fine. It’s just about changing your expectations of what is a garden.

Check out Houzz for ideas. I used the principles of Japanese gardens to help shift my expectations. Don’t try and just miniaturise a large garden to a smaller block. It can look odd.

We don’t have any lawn because the yard isn’t large enough for the kids to kick a ball around and it would be too piddly to use. We have deep garden beds and layers to create the illusion of depth and generosity.

My priority is for the garden to be low maintenance and tough enough to survive kids and the dog. I mix trees, shrubs, climbers, perennials and annuals together to create interest all year round.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 17 September 2019 - 04:37 PM

we had a 5m wide yard. It was small, there is no escaping that.   what we did was, put in a garden bed along the length of it, that was about 1m wide.  The garden bed was raised (due to the fall of the land) and we put a bench seat along the length of it.  So we ended up with a huge long garden bed, that went around a corner, and enough seating for a big party.  Super convenient.  Part of the garden bed was dedicated to a vegetable patch,  part was citrus trees (the sunniest section, note that sun wont reach all parts of your garden all year, if at all, when your wall is so close to your fence line, especially if you are 2 storey) and the rest was decorative, camellias and grassy things and some pear trees for screening.

in the 4m between the house and the bench seat we either had decking or a narrow lawn.  Deck all the way to the garden bed, it maximises space.

it was a bit like the second picture on this web page, but the garden bed wall was at bench seat height. https://hipages.com....narrow_backyard

#8 busymum01

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:15 PM

You guys are the BEST, thank you for reassuring me. I can't wait to chat all things #gardeninspo to my huz tonight until his ears bleed and he begs me to stop. :D

#9 Burro

Posted 17 September 2019 - 05:25 PM

There are often some extended and renovated inner city melbourne homes with tiny back gardens or gardens along the side. Search Fitzroy, Clifton hill or Northcote.

These ones are all about the side garden.

https://www.realesta...hcote-131616898

https://www.realesta...hcote-131898070

Edited by Burro, 17 September 2019 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.