Nissan Pathfinder

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 *Lena*

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:12 PM

Does anyone have a Nissan Pathfinder? I have 4 kids aged 5-10 and am newly separated from my husband. I have a kia Grand Carnival that I love but has over 220000km on it and has the engine light on so I need to look for a new car but money is an major issue. I like the Mazda CX9 but they are that bit more money.

I could go another carnival but think I want to steer away from a van this time since my kids are getting older although I am worried about missing all the space I have. It looks like the Pathfinder has decent space.It will be a 2nd hand.

I just want to know if you are happy with the pathfinder and if you have had any problems?

#2 hills mum bec

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:12 PM

Are you looking for a current model Pathfinder?  I can’t comment on the current model but if it’s the older model (a lot bigger than the current one) I would steer clear.  We had a 2009 model that needed two engine rebuilds within a year when it was 4 years old.  The older models have the same engine as the Navaras and they have issues with the timing chains that are a very expensive fix.

#3 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 14 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

I have heard they are good but very thirsty on the fuel, although most cars of that size are unless you go diesel.

#4 PrincessPeach

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:38 PM

The 2018 model onwards have a 4th anchor point in the 3rd row of seats.

We test drove one, nice car to drive, but its fuel economy put us off. Plus we didnt need that 3rd row often. Although it still has a decent boot space with the 3rd row occupied & you can comfortably fit an adult between 2 car seats in the middle row.

#5 SleepDebt

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:08 PM

I have a 2015 model. I'm not particularly enamoured with it, no. Space is good - we bought it when the third child was on the way. Seven seats are mightily helpful, although with two car seats in middle row the 3rd row is so hard to access.

What I don't  like -
For some reason mine goes through a set (yes, front and rear) of brake pads every 6 - 9mths.
It's brake rotars are also completely shot and need replacing.
It's turning circle is crap.
It was having a transmission issue with jerky gear changes although the dealership seems to have fixed this.
Someone backed into me and although it was covered by their insurance - the body parts on it are very very expensive to replace. Smash repairer said that's how they get you - cheap car, expensive parts.
There is no Bluetooth audio in my car which comes standard with a lot of base model cars of same year.
The reversing camera is on its way out. It flickers badly- dealership said it will just stop working, there's nothing they can do.
Carpet has already come away in places.

So those are my irks. Probably wouldn't go one again.

#6 sahmie

Posted 15 September 2019 - 09:44 AM

2017 onwards have the 4 anchor points, it’s what I drive.

I love it! The fuel economy is no worse than the Ford XR6 it replaced. I don’t have a single complaint so far.

#7 *Lena*

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:56 PM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 14 September 2019 - 07:38 PM, said:

The 2018 model onwards have a 4th anchor point in the 3rd row of seats.

We test drove one, nice car to drive, but its fuel economy put us off. Plus we didnt need that 3rd row often. Although it still has a decent boot space with the 3rd row occupied & you can comfortably fit an adult between 2 car seats in the middle row.
What did you end up getting instead?

Hmmm its not seeming like the best choice. I want a proper seat for my kids to sit in the back seat not a seat on the floor (like the ford Territory). I also want space.

#8 gracie1978

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:15 AM

I've been thinking a lot about vans, my friends reluctantly parted with theirs when the youngest turned 20. Her husband still pines for it :)

I think with 4 kids a van is perfect, are you sure you don't want another one?  A 5yo flinging a car door open at Westfield...

#9 BECZ

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:41 AM

No idea with the particular model you are looking at OP, but please check how far off the floor the 3rd row seats are as my kids hate going in the 3rd row of a few different 4wds one Patrol and two different models of Pajero as the seats are so low and their knees are up so high.

We have a Grand Carnival too and they have no issues with sitting in the 3rd row and it clearly is a lot higher than the 4wds mentioned above that family members own.

My eldest kids are 12 (average height) and 11 (short) and whinge that it's too low and squashy every time they have to go in any of them.  Not yet an issue for my 9 and 7 year olds as they are still in booster seats as they are small for their age and while they still fit, they stay in them, but as we don't take 9 yr olds booster with us into other cars, even she says how low the seats are.

#10 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 17 September 2019 - 06:59 AM

If you’re after space in the third row, I’d go the people mover. We have a new Landcruiser and four kids who hate the third row. No room and very frustrating to move the seat forward so they can get it or only put half up at a time. When third row is up absolutely zero room for groceries at all. No room for a pram or anything, I can’t even fit four school bags behind them. We just keep one half down and use the other half for putting stuff when we all go out.
If you only need a five seater you can get something that’s not a 4wd or people mover cheapish and new?
But if you’re after the third row, not many cars have practical space in that area.

#11 BECZ

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:31 AM

Just a thought OP, how tall for their age is your eldest?
Can they safely sit in the front?  Will you need to transport anybody else on a regular basis or would a 5 seater do? It would give you so many more options that’s all.  I do get it if they are not big enough yet or you are not comfortable with the idea ^^^ my 9 yr old is still in a booster.

#12 IamtheMumma

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

A friend has a Pathfinder that she loves but the price of petrol is stopping her from using it on a daily basis. Very, very thirsty car.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

View Post*Lena*, on 16 September 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

What did you end up getting instead?

Hmmm its not seeming like the best choice. I want a proper seat for my kids to sit in the back seat not a seat on the floor (like the ford Territory). I also want space.

The only way you are going to get a proper seat is to buy a people mover style car.

4wds have the extra seats in the back but as they fold up and down, they aren’t proper seats, they are smaller and much like ford territory back seats and a pathfinder is their smaller 4wd, so even less room.

Plus fuel economy is not so great.

#14 Manicmum

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:31 AM

I miss my van

#15 doubting thomas

Posted 17 September 2019 - 09:55 AM

I loved mine but this was back around 2000.They are bigger ( and uglier now).
What about an Outlander ? They do chew through tyres but I've had no trouble with mine in 10 years. The 3rd row of seats are small though - for under 8ish or emergencies only. The rear seat splitfold  is easy and my 7yo can put the middle row back up himself ( you just pull a strap)  I can fit shopping behind the 3rd row of seats too.

#16 *Lena*

Posted 18 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

Sounds like I will miss my Carnival if I downsze. I do love it. SO many decisions to make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.