Travelling solo - eek!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cardamom

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:34 PM

So, an amazing opportunity has fallen into my lap (#grateful #blessed) and I have the chance to go on a holiday overseas at virtually no cost.

Only downside is I'm a rookie traveller. (Like, I need to renew my passport because it's been 10 years since my first-and-only overseas trip level rookie.)

I'll be travelling on my own. Help me, EB! Tips, tricks, strategies, must-dos?

How does phone/internet work? How does money work? Far out. I don't even know where to start! This is so far outside of my comfort zone I can't even begin to tell you, but I can't wait :D

#2 fascinated

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:42 PM

Are you going to an English speaking country?

Edited by fascinated, 12 September 2019 - 10:42 PM.

#3 cardamom

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

View Postfascinated, on 12 September 2019 - 10:42 PM, said:

Are you going to an English speaking country?

See, so much of a rookie I didn't even add that info :laugh: I'm going to Israel.

#4 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:03 AM

I’d guess that someone you know has family/friends where you are going - you could ask them for some local knowledge - where to eat, easiest ways to get around, and maybe a friendly person to meet for a coffee?

Otherwise - phone depends on how long you are going to be there and how much you will be using it, making calls to back home while out and about, using data, or just texts.

Money - I still haven’t figured that out really. Every way seems to have disadvantages.

#5 IamzFeralz

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:01 AM

View Postcardamom, on 12 September 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

See, so much of a rookie I didn't even add that info :laugh: I'm going to Israel.

Book an organised tour?  You’d get to meet people too.

#6 Islander

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:16 AM

Phone- I always buy a local sim at arrival, and make sure I’ve got what’s App loaded as it syncs both numbers and I can call or message whenever I’m in wifi. I only use data that comes with the sim and go into settings to make sure only a few apps are enabled to work on data (like maps, safari, messenger and what’s app).

Money- I notify bank I’m travelling and just use my normal debit card to withdraw cash at ATMs. Fees aren’t that exorbitant.

Trip advisor is great for cafe/restaurant/things to do recommendations.

I always think that all the details of travelling seem quite tricky and stressful before a trip, but always turn out to be remarkably easy. So exciting to be going, lucky you!!! Have the best time.

#7 molinero

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:23 AM

Some things you can do to help ease yourself into solo travel in any country are:

- Book onto a short tour at the start. This could be a one day historic tour of the city, or a two hour foodie tour, or even a three-day tour of somewhere in Israel. At the end of said tour, no matter how long or short it is, you will get your bearings and be more comfortable striking out on your own.

- Pre-book onto a whole heap of day tours for things that you really really want to see while you are there. This takes away the stress of logistics

- Research travel blogs for trips to Israel, and do some digging in the Tripadvisor Israel travel forum. A lot of logistical questions regarding money, phones, transportation, etc, will have already been asked and answered  
https://www.tripadvi...howForum-g29397
7-i1733-Israel.html

- Research your accommodation properly so that you are staying in easy, walkable parts of cities. Filter hotel reviews by 'location' or look for walking tours of cities and see where the meeting spot is. Often the meeting spot will be somewhere central and walkable, and you can look for accommodation near to that

- Depending on your level of comfort, you could book a private room in a hostel. Filter search results and reviews. There are plenty of hostels that are not party hostels. Some are quieter and are used by families. You might meet people that way and find yourself going for dinner with random new friends.

Above all, enjoy!

#8 Daphne27

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

Hi i am vaguely guessing this is for work or you wouldnt be by yourself?

Anyway firstly Israel is a very easy place to travel and the people you will come into contact with are likely to speak english.

The only thing that (stupidly) surprised me was the guns and security everywhere. There are metal detectors to get into shopping centres. How people live in such a heightened state i dont know.

There will be atms everywhere that you can get money. The first thing i do when i arrive at an airport overseas is to go to the atm and get some cash. But i havent travelled as much sincd paypass.

If you are nervous go to a bank and get $50 worth of israeli dollars before you go, but it really isnt necessary.
Figure out how you plan to get from airport to your accomm before you go.

Book accomodation somewhere close to what you are going for and near transport.

Eat Salads. Israel had fantastic salads everywhere.

If you have free days my fav bits of israel (outside of tel aviv and jeruselum)
Stay at the yha near mount masada and go up before sunrise. It is beautiful

Swim in the dead sea.

If you are in j it is worth a visit to bethlehem. It is incredible that this little spot is so talked about and so close to j and yet so fraught. You need your passport to get back into j. There is a fence. It is incredible the terrible situations that we humans create and i dont think it is possible to understand without seeing it.

#9 71Cath

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:58 AM

I have no advice, but I'm so happy for you, I hope you have a wonderful time.

You'll need books for the plane.  Lots of books :)

#10 Let-it-go

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Amazing.  

Jerusalem is one of the most fascinating places on earth.

#11 Chchgirl

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

Omg amazing!  Enjoy!

I've done a bit of solo travelling but not to the other side of the world.

I'm booking a tour to Ireland for October next year and spending a week in London and will probably be on my own. Last time I went was 1994.

I'm still finding out what to sort out myself!

#12 halcyondays

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:15 PM

I solo travel a lot, but haven’t been to israel.
The ING cards give free ATM withdrawals overseas as well. The Coles MasterCard had overseas fee free transactions - I think Citibank or bankwest do the same.
I always move hotels during my trip so I’m in easy walking distance from the sites I want to see. So I’ll spend my first night near the airport- get my bearings and a good sleep, then checkout to exxy accommodation near the first group of places I want to visit,then move to the next place. In this way if I happened to pick a crap location, I know I’ll be on the move in a day or 2. You can leave your luggage in the hotel after you checkout and pick it up later when you are ready to leave.
I just use my international roaming- haven’t been able to work out the sim thing to make it worth my while- it’s only $10 a day for me.
I tend to always pack loose pants and a scarf which covers all modesty requiring places.

#13 lizzzard

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:51 AM

Omg so jealous!!!! Israel is supposed to be amazing.

#14 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:55 AM

What a great opportunity- Israel is amazing.  

I mainly use my ING fee free Visa card for travel money, but I use the second one (“splurge” for anyone who does barefoot) and keep a small amount of money on it in case it gets skimmed/blocked.   I transfer money over from the main account as needed.  

It’s useful to have a few hundred of something easily converted (USD or euro)  somewhere seperate in case of drama.    

I use the $10 per day Telstra roaming because I like to keep my same phone number and not fuss around with sims.   It comes with a tiny bit of data which is fine because so many places have WIFI. I

But if you change sim my tip is tape the other sim onto the card the new one comes on and put that inside your passport.  

One thing you can do is download maps in your phone before you go, then you don’t have to use data while out and about.  

Two things about Israel (which may be out of date) is don’t leave with any shekels as they are hard to convert back, and allow extra time at the airport when you exit especially if you have toured to any occupied territory.  

Sorry one more thing.   There are some lovely craft items like tiles and glassware available, as well as religious items if that is your thing.  So leave some luggage room.  

#15 SkeptiHandsOnMum

Posted 14 September 2019 - 08:20 PM

How exciting! What an opportunity.  

I love Trip Advisor for ideas on where to eat etc.

I love having access to data on my phone, for being able to look local things up on the go. I have not been to Israel, but most places now I would assume that you can either get a local phone card with data, or a mobile broadband modem.

I use Google Maps and place pins for things that I am interested in. This means I can then easily see things which are in easy distance of each other.

#16 blimkybill

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostIslander, on 13 September 2019 - 06:16 AM, said:

Phone- I always buy a local sim at arrival, and make sure I’ve got what’s App loaded as it syncs both numbers and I can call or message whenever I’m in wifi. I only use data that comes with the sim and go into settings to make sure only a few apps are enabled to work on data (like maps, safari, messenger and what’s app).

Money- I notify bank I’m travelling and just use my normal debit card to withdraw cash at ATMs. Fees aren’t that exorbitant.

Trip advisor is great for cafe/restaurant/things to do recommendations.

I always think that all the details of travelling seem quite tricky and stressful before a trip, but always turn out to be remarkably easy. So exciting to be going, lucky you!!! Have the best time.
Yes I do all of this.
Travel is so much easier now that we can have our phones fully functional while travelling and also just use our  credit/debit cards. Google maps gets a workout from me, and google in general to find out how to get tickets for things etc.
The only thing I would suggest is some very popular places around the world need to be booked early, and can be better done in a group tour.

#17 Chchgirl

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:54 PM

I'm enjoying the planning stage. I'm going yo ve away for about 4 weeks I think.

Love getting ideas from others.

#18 FloralArrangement

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

Smart traveller, trip advisor and whirlpool are good sources of information. Also, travel vlogs on YouTube are awesome and some you tubers discuss how everything works in the countries they travel to.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.