Urban legends, truth or myth?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

I had a random thought today and wondered if someone on EB would know.

So now I'm starting a thread - feel free to contribute with any question/fact that you have always wondered whether its true or not.!

My question:

Today my hands were shaking and I'd had a lot of coffee. It got me thinking that I'd heard surgeons don't drink caffeine because they need steady, non shaky hands?

So - can anyone confirm if this is true? Or are surgeons just born with naturally steady hands?

We must have some surgeons on here - anyone?

And add your other questions. We can be EB Fact Checker!

#2 Mooples

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:09 PM

I went into the theatre with my then 2 year old ds so I was with him while he went under. After, dh and I went to the hospital cafe. Ds’s surgeon was there waiting for his coffee. He must have drank it just before entering his surgery.

#3 mylittlemen

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:13 PM

family members of mine who are surgeons knock back generous amounts of coffee. I’ve never heard of that one!

#4 IamtheMumma

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Myth. I've seen numerous surgeons drink coffee or "energy" drinks.

Having a steady hand is a skill. We can all hold our hand steady, well most of us, but it takes training to be able to hold it a precise angles and for extended duration.

I doubt you'd find a surgeon who worked on an engine or did boxing.

#5 Luci

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

I’ve never heard of that one either. I drink litres of coffee & have never had shaky hands. If on the other hand I hadn’t had any coffee I would probably be shaking like a leaf.

#6 Tokra

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:46 PM

I have lots of these floating around my head, but the second I see a thread they all disappear!

#7 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:54 PM

I have no hope in hell of keeping my hand steady, caffeine or no caffeine. I can’t even carry a drink in a cup in my right hand.

Have never heard the caffeine thing about surgeons. DSIL said she has never heard of it, and she is an operating theatre nurse.

#8 #YKG

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:08 PM

I work in a public hospital, all my Drs (including surgeons) drink energy drinks and or coffee, a lot of it. So not sure how true it is, but coffee does impact everyone differently. Excessive consumption may cause tremors in some people.

#9 Soon2be7

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:41 PM

Damn! I thought this thread was going to be about scary story urban legends...like the one about the girl whose dog used to sleep under her bed and lick her hand. Then one night after the dog had licked her hand she looked out the window and saw her dog strung up on the washing line!!!!😱😱😱😱

#10 purplekitty

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:47 PM

:omg:

#11 night jasmine

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:12 AM

The surgeons I know certainly drink coffee. I’m most impressed with their bladder skills actually.

#12 José

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:24 AM

also never heard of the surgeon one. doesnt really make sense to me at all that they would not drink coffee.

#13 chicken_bits

Posted 13 September 2019 - 06:50 AM

They certainly drink coffee on Grey's Anatomy. Therefore it must be a myth.

#14 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostSoon2be7, on 12 September 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

Damn! I thought this thread was going to be about scary story urban legends...like the one about the girl whose dog used to sleep under her bed and lick her hand. Then one night after the dog had licked her hand she looked out the window and saw her dog strung up on the washing line!!!!😱😱😱😱
The one and only time my dog slept under my bed was when I was 7, and I ended up wetting the bed because it licked my toes when I went to go to the toilet and scared me.

#15 doubting thomas

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

There's the Wakehurst Parkway one. Apparently , a couple driving at night broke down and the guy got out to check the engine. Then the girl heard banging on the car roof. When she got out and looked to see what the noise was it was the guys head. Pretty sure that one is bs.

#16 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 13 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

^ I think that’s a camping one that’s made it through urban legend history in a few different variations.

Actually wasn’t there a thread on here years ago from someone saying they lived out in the middle of nowhere and opened the door late at night and there was a group of blond children waiting there trying to get inside? Then we all started freaking out but that turned out to be an urban legend as well?

It was a Friday thread as well so it was pretty exciting from what I remember :lol:

#17 71Cath

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

View Post28 Barbary Lane, on 13 September 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

^
It was a Friday thread as well so it was pretty exciting from what I remember Posted Image

True fact: threads are at least 67% more exciting on a Friday...

#18 doubting thomas

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:08 AM

I remember that. She had us all going until somebody checked snopes. :yes:

#19 Luci

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:26 AM

View Postdoubting thomas, on 13 September 2019 - 09:08 AM, said:

I remember that. She had us all going until somebody checked snopes. :yes:

Yeah I remember that one!

#20 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:28 AM

28 Barbary Lane, on 13 September 2019 - 07:59 AM, said:

^ I think that’s a camping one that’s made it through urban legend history in a few different variations.

Actually wasn’t there a thread on here years ago from someone saying they lived out in the middle of nowhere and opened the door late at night and there was a group of blond children waiting there trying to get inside? Then we all started freaking out but that turned out to be an urban legend as well?

It was a Friday thread as well so it was pretty exciting from what I remember :lol:

I remember that thread. Absolutely BS I’m Sure of it but it was sure freaking scary at the time.

#21 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

I suspect there would be some surgeons that do and some that don't. I don't know how anyone could survive shift work without coffee though!

Actually I don't know how anyone survives life without coffee!  /jk

#22 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:38 AM

Re- shaky hands DH gets shaky hands, and he drinks a fair bit of caffeine, however I suspect his shaky hands are low blood sugar levels. His father is similar. Of DH is a male and far too busy to see a GP, AKA bury his head in the sand.

Shaly hands probably warrant a GP visit. Rule out a couple things :)

#23 wallofdodo

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:42 AM

View Postnight jasmine, on 13 September 2019 - 06:12 AM, said:

The surgeons I know certainly drink coffee. I’m most impressed with their bladder skills actually.
This would be the reason why I would think they didn't drink too much coffee, it makes me want to go to the loo all the time

#24 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 13 September 2019 - 09:49 AM

My DH is a theatre nurse and can't cope without a Pepsi max for breakfast. All his work friends drink coffee. I've been there for lunch with DH and there has been many cans of red bull and other energy drinks on the table.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 13 September 2019 - 10:01 AM

It would be an odd surgeon who does not drink coffee.
Shaky hands don't come as a result as 'normal' caffeine consumption.

I have seen a surgeon take a sip of Coke out of a straw that the scout nurse had fetched from the coke machine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.