Scratching tree cat thread updated with extra question about carriers

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 caitiri

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:01 PM

We are planning on getting a cat at some point soon, it’s been along time since I’ve had a pet and I’m browsing pet things.  Some of the cat trees/posts look awesome but vary widely in price and I’ve got no idea on quality.

So does your cat have one? Like it? Where did you get it?

Or are they not worth it at all ?

Edited by caitiri, Yesterday, 06:25 PM.

#2 Bono25

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

I got a tree from phunky cat. 15 years and four cats later it still looks as good as the day I got it. Maybe a little hairier 😝 definitely worth it for inside cats

#3 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:12 PM

I got one off Kogan or crazysales or something of that ilk. It's great. Both kitten and older girl like to lounge on its many perches (old girl does tend to overflow a bit at the sides due to her ample frame but it copes just fine with her weight). Ours has about three perches, a box to hide in and a few dangly toys on it. There's a rampy bit and load of poles, not that they really scratch it. But it gives them a nice high retreat when the puppy is getting a bit overwhelming.

#4 *Spikey*

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Yes. We have multiple cat trees. One with a great view of the outdoors (for bird watching and sunning), one with a tunnel for hiding and pouncing on unsuspecting bypassers, and one that is just a post which they've massacred. We did have a really tall one with our previous cat, she loved the top part (a soft bed thing). However, a certain male cat pretty much totalled the top two storeys with launching himself at it.  The bottom bit has been relegated to the cat enclosure, and still gets a look in. So yes, they are good and young cats particularly enjoy them.

#5 BadCat

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

My boys love it.

Quality-wise, if you expect your mog to be big, don't bother with one of those pathetic ebay ones that come in a million different styles but are made of cardboard or 3mm MDF.   If your cat is big one of those will fall apart.

I ended up buying my boys a Pet Pals one.  It's the Everest.  It's huge, and it's sturdy and they love it so much.  You can get them from Pet Stock.

#6 Ayr

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:22 PM

Yes they have one. They used it less as they got older but they used it a lot more when they were younger. Used to have three in different rooms but reduced it to one as they don't use it as much. I just buy big trees on ebay cheap.

#7 71Cath

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:22 PM

My cats seem to prefer my chairs...

#8 caitiri

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Ooh I like the pet pals ones . Shopping for cat toys is fun

#9 caitiri

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:35 PM

71Cath, on 12 September 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

All my childhood cats spurned the various offerings as well, much preferred our pillows or the kitchen cupboards after they learnt to open them

#10 Jenflea

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:45 PM

My new kitten likes his $20 target one, it's not huge at 60cm tall but it'll do for now until he gets bigger.

Sadly we just don't have the room for a bigger one in the house.

#11 RocktonResident

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

Stay away for the cheapie shop ones. Red Dot, Reject Shop, I find have very short life span.

Aldi one is quite good when they're available.

If you get a cat, get a Da Bird. It is seriously the best cat toy ever. Mine know where I hide it and sit and cry at it wanting to play.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:47 PM

Yep, got a couple. They use both.

One cat destroyed our lounge furniture. Good thing it wasn't top quality, given it's now US, but I did love the tapestry fabric on it, which is now going to be used to recover the inherited dining chairs currently covered in ... brown velour.

We've lived with the damaged furniture in the family room for the last few years. We'd got new lounge furniture and used Sticky Paws on it straight away, which worked well.

We've now got new family room furniture arriving in the coming weeks, and we'll be getting a couple of cheapie scratching posts to sit at the 'landing spots' in regard to having a good old scratch.  Worked for someone else I know.

ETA: One of ours is an Aldi one, perfect for the kitthen, but the damned kitten grew, and grew, and now he barely fits on the top. Still good as a scratching post, though.

Edited by born.a.girl, 12 September 2019 - 08:48 PM.

#13 Treasure Island

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

My cat has a hand me down scratching post and he does use it. It is basic but solid, about 1m high with round carpet covered wood top and bottom and the "post" in between. My previous cat preferred to scratch carpet mats. They do need something as they will scratch and need it to maintain their claws. Outside cats will also scratch actual timber, trees etc.

#14 lozoodle

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

My old girl doesn't, but she's almost 15 and set in her ways
My new cat that ive had for about 2 months loves it, I got a k mart one for $39

#15 IamOzgirl

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:54 PM

mine loves his two.

however after destroying the brand new sofa...

#16 kadoodle

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

If you’re handy, or your DH is; building one is fun. Ours is built in to the house, so the cats have catwalks out of kid and dog reach. You do need to Hoover them though, as cats are hairy, shedding little beasts.

#17 **Tiger*Filly**

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:04 PM

Our cats did have a scratching post but didn't use it a lot. They prefer the canvas lounge, or DS's fabric bed head which they've ripped to pieces.

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:44 PM

Ours is from Pet Stock and is sturdy enough. IT's fairly tall and a good place for the kitties to retreat to - although they tend to fight over the top spot so I think we need a bigger one with two top spots ...

They don't tend to scratch the poles too much but they have butchered the pole on the smaller one we got when the girlcat was brand new. I'm not sure when they do that though because they keep at the carpet and the back of my bedroom chair!

We also have a little one with a hidey hole and a couple toys for in our bedroom that is only about 2ft tall. They all seem to get reasonable use although the cats do like a variety of other chairs, beds and pillows as well!

#19 MurderBritches

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:25 PM

71Cath, on 12 September 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yes we have scratching posts....they're called lounges....

#20 katei

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:33 PM

DH built one for our cat. It's 5ft high so he can survey the room from his throne! It also has a box to hide in. He stopped using it for a year or so after his brother died, but is back on it again now. His favorite place to sleep is DS's bed though.

#21 Jo.F

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:37 PM

I have 3 indoor cats but somehow I've defied the odds and all 3 love their scratching posts and have never touched the furniture. I have 2 big cat trees, one inside that I did get off eBay but so far it's lasted pretty well and is massive and the other one is in their cat run which I got from Pet Stock. It was more expensive than the huge one in the lounge but it's much sturdier which I figured was better for outside.

I had to look after the ex in-laws russian blue for 3 days a while back and the rotten thing shredded every corner of my leather lounge :angry:

#22 BornToLove

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:49 AM

We had a cheapie one we got second hand from the neighbours. Their cat wouldn’t touch it, so they offered it to us. Our cats used it but it was falling apart after about a year. I never replaced with another cat tree.

Instead, I got two really nice baskets, put pillows in them, and placed them in sunny windows. They are used daily. I also got a very high quality scratching post (it’s about 100cm high and very solid). It’s used literally every time they walk past it. These things blend in more with our home, cats are equally happy with them as they were with the cat tree.

#23 kimasa

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:17 AM

Yes.

He likes it and uses it, but still scratches the couch, usually while looking directly at me.

#24 Literary Lemur

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:29 AM

We have a self built tower with platforms in the outdoor cat run and they love that.

They also love access to high furniture like above the kitchen cupboards.

They have cardboard scratchy things which they love more than the sofa (we also hung rugs over the sofa so that when they tried it wasn't a great scratching post. The rugs are now removed but they've never scratched it.

Th tree things you can buy they weren't impressed by. You could get freebies on various groups or cheap on ebay to maybe test them out.

#25 Jane Jetson

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

We've got a bunch of them. The main one is in the corner between two front windows so they can sit on the top perch and stare at birds and cars with a wide angle of view. We got that one from one of the cheapy deal sites and it lasted quite well, but Cat Two is quite chubby so the top storey eventually developed a lean and had to be removed. We need to get a new one at some point.

There's three other small ones, strategically placed by windows/particularly sunny warm areas, and both cats spend a fair bit of time curled up in the basket bits of those, snoozing.

They've absolutely destroyed most of the scratching post bits. Cat Two still has a go at the rug sometimes.

Edit to add: the boxes are big, so if you carve a flap into that, you've got another cat playroom until you get sick of looking at it!

Edited by Jane Jetson, 13 September 2019 - 08:44 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.