Tablet for 4 year old

41 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf87

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

Hi gang!
My husband and I have a phone each, a crappy laptop that we don’t use for much, and don’t really have the need for a bells and whistles iPad. I was thinking of getting a tablet for my daughter who will be 4.5 at Xmas. Just to watch Netflix, play games and educational apps. She is very good with technology (at this age anyway!) as in she accepts when I tell her it’s time to finish, doesn’t really ask for it etc. But i thought of instead of handing her my phone if we’re out and I need her kept busy, or if I want an extended lie in, she could have her own tablet. The educational apps are great too.
I was looking at this model -

https://www.binglee....b-a-7-8gb-wi-fi

But I am worried that because it is older, the operating system won’t let me get certain apps etc. But I am a complete dummy when it comes to technology. Any recommendations?

#2 blimkybill

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Personally I wouldn't buy a tablet for a four year old. I am sure your household is not like this, but i have seen too many kids change, and not for the better, when they get substantial access to a device. But most others on here are unlikely to agree...

Anyway, I don't know about the Samsung, sorry. But don't get a cheap Lenovo. They are just not good. I have one and also an ipad and there is world of performance difference.

#3 Wolf87

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

View Postblimkybill, on 11 September 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

Personally I wouldn't buy a tablet for a four year old. I am sure your household is not like this, but i have seen too many kids change, and not for the better, when they get substantial access to a device. But most others on here are unlikely to agree...

Anyway, I don't know about the Samsung, sorry. But don't get a cheap Lenovo. They are just not good. I have one and also an ipad and there is world of performance difference.

Ahh, I didn’t think of it not being a good idea. I hope I’m not about to get slammed! I would be strict with it, and I can’t remember ever having to argue with her about finishing a game or whatever on my phone but I guess maybe if she has it in her head that it is hers that equals she can use it whenever she wants?
Maybe I could get it as a family gift instead?

#4 Riotproof

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:52 PM

If you want a tablet, I’d get it for you and let her use it. I wouldn’t tell her it’s hers.

#5 Dadto2

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:59 PM

No I totally agree with you.

#6 eachschoolholidays

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

This

#7 Wolf87

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:11 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 11 September 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

If you want a tablet, I’d get it for you and let her use it. I wouldn’t tell her it’s hers.

I don’t need one, but would like her to have access to one as some of the apps are great, especially reading eggs etc. I didn’t think of it being a bad idea as she is really good at regulating it, but maybe that would change if she gets one for Xmas and therefore thinks she has free reign.

Maybe I’ll get it as a gift from Santa to the family. Thanks for the feedback, it’s good to get some outside opinions as I had never thought of the downsides!

ETA So any advice on what to get?

Edited by Wolf87, 11 September 2019 - 11:12 PM.

#8 Lunafreya

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:12 PM

My son has a tablet, it’s his Dad’s old iPad. We were careful with it though to make sure he still had outside and active play.

It’s usually there at bed time or on long trips. I admit I have used it when I need to rest and need to get DS to rest too.

There are a lot of educational games around language and problem solving that DS likes. And the Youtube Kids channels he watches were quite good for his language development. Blippy is a favourite of mine.

His iPad does have restrictions on it though. He has a child’s account, so he can’t buy things without parental permission. And he doesn’t always get permisson. His iPad does not have a sim card, so he can only use it on wifi. And sometimes we lock him into an app, like YouTube kids, if we just want him to sleep.

I think it works well, he’s not addicted and as I said it generally comes out at bedtime. He’s sick now, so more iPad time :(

#9 SeaPrincess

Posted 11 September 2019 - 11:57 PM

I’m not familiar with other tablets, but we like the level of control that comes with the iPad. The Family Sharing means the children have to ask for anything, even free apps, and DH or I have to approve them. I can modify settings from my phone or app, and I can see how much time they’ve been on them. I currently have them set up so they can’t use them before school and their screen time is limited on a daily basis. None of our iPads have SIM cards.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:05 AM

Basically there are two types of tablets: those that use iOS, and those that use the Android operating system. Only Apple products use iOS. All others use Android. I'd go with whatever system your phones use. That way you'll be familiar with how that system works and you'll know what apps are available.

I'm firmly team Apple. We've had an iPad for about 5 or 6 years. DD (9yo) loves it and loves the games that are available on it. I also have an iPhone. Everything is set up so that DD can't do any in app purchases or download any new apps. My Apple password is needed for those things.

DH is firmly team Android, and especially Samsung. We have three Samsung Galaxy tabs and he's had numerous Samsung/Android phones. Currently he has an Oppo phone. I hate Android. It makes no sense to me. DD happily uses it and easily switches between the two different operating systems. There are less games that DD likes available on Android.

I wouldn't buy the tablet you've linked. 8GB is way way too small for storage. Our iPad is 32GB and we struggle with that. Apps have to be deleted to allow new ones on it. It filled up very quickly. My iPhone is 256GB, so I have heaps of spare room on it. DH's three tablets are all about 32GB and he and DD are constantly having to delete apps to allow new ones on them.

I'd probably look at getting this one instead:
https://www.binglee....wifi-32gb-black
Four times the storage space, and a one inch bigger screen but still not a full sized tablet.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a really good case for it so it's protected against being dropped, thrown or stuff spilt on it.

#11 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:52 AM

Ok before you go shopping, is the future school your child going to require BYOD Ipads for prep? If so, buy that.
Otherwise buy Samsung. Put in a drop proof case. DS has had a tablet for 4 years now and it's still going strong, despite the abuse. We just changed the battery this year.

#12 ekbaby

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:18 AM

I got my kids (including the 4yo) apple ipads because I have an iPhone and the system makes sense to me. Like paddlepop my DP is an android fan and hates apple ! But as I am the main person interacting with the kids technology I needed it to be easy for me to use.
I find the apple screen time controls good. All my kids have limits re: how long allowed to spend each day on certain kinds of apps. Can make different rules for weekday and weekend and block out times they r not allowed to use it.
Setting restrictions re downloading any new apps, making purchases etc was also easy.
Family sharing means some apps I only need to buy once and they can all use it.

#13 rubyskye

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:26 AM

blimkybill, on 11 September 2019 - 10:31 PM, said:

This completely. We bought a tablet for our 3 year old to watch Netflix and do Reading Eggs and his behaviour changed completely :( was a complete mistake.
Oddly enough watching TV seems to be ok, its the small screen, closer to his eyes...not sure. We have taken it away and he is back to his normal self.
We won't be introducing small screens like tablets etc until primary school now.

#14 Wolf87

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the feedback on devices and the gift itself. Lots of thinking to do! Not sure whether to bite the bullet and get an iPad for us so she can have access to one, or just buy a cheaper Samsung for the same reason. We are an apple household...

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 12 September 2019 - 07:52 AM, said:

Ok before you go shopping, is the future school your child going to require BYOD Ipads for prep? If so, buy that.
Otherwise buy Samsung. Put in a drop proof case. DS has had a tablet for 4 years now and it's still going strong, despite the abuse. We just changed the battery this year.

I’ll have to look into this, she starts 2021 so not to far in the future! We are in quite a low socioeconomic area so probably not.

View Postrubyskye, on 12 September 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

This completely. We bought a tablet for our 3 year old to watch Netflix and do Reading Eggs and his behaviour changed completely :( was a complete mistake.
Oddly enough watching TV seems to be ok, its the small screen, closer to his eyes...not sure. We have taken it away and he is back to his normal self.
We won't be introducing small screens like tablets etc until primary school now.

Thanks for this, that’s really interesting! Had he used your phone for the apps before? DD has used that and watches TV and is generally good and turning off.

View PostPaddlepop, on 12 September 2019 - 12:05 AM, said:

Basically there are two types of tablets: those that use iOS, and those that use the Android operating system. Only Apple products use iOS. All others use Android. I'd go with whatever system your phones use. That way you'll be familiar with how that system works and you'll know what apps are available.

I'm firmly team Apple. We've had an iPad for about 5 or 6 years. DD (9yo) loves it and loves the games that are available on it. I also have an iPhone. Everything is set up so that DD can't do any in app purchases or download any new apps. My Apple password is needed for those things.

DH is firmly team Android, and especially Samsung. We have three Samsung Galaxy tabs and he's had numerous Samsung/Android phones. Currently he has an Oppo phone. I hate Android. It makes no sense to me. DD happily uses it and easily switches between the two different operating systems. There are less games that DD likes available on Android.

I wouldn't buy the tablet you've linked. 8GB is way way too small for storage. Our iPad is 32GB and we struggle with that. Apps have to be deleted to allow new ones on it. It filled up very quickly. My iPhone is 256GB, so I have heaps of spare room on it. DH's three tablets are all about 32GB and he and DD are constantly having to delete apps to allow new ones on them.

I'd probably look at getting this one instead:
https://www.binglee....wifi-32gb-black
Four times the storage space, and a one inch bigger screen but still not a full sized tablet.

Whatever you get, make sure you get a really good case for it so it's protected against being dropped, thrown or stuff spilt on it.

Thanks for all this!!!

#15 lalalove

Posted 12 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

We recently bought an Ipad - mainly for a big road trip so the kids could watch a movie/show during the time on the road. Our children are DS1 almost 5 and DS2 2.5.

It is very clear that it is my Ipad and my DS1 is very aware that it is a massive treat to watch something on it or play an educational game on it. He probably gets to do this, at most, 2 x a week for a max of about half an hour. Prior to this he would watch the odd movie/play game on our smart phone.

I think you have the right idea in your approach. It definitely changes their behaviour. We strictly limit it for this reason. I certainly wouldn't let my youngest use it this much. But I think at 4.5 years they are old enough to understand rules and it can be managed.

#16 José

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:23 AM

almost everyone i know who purchased a tablet for their children regret it. seemed like a goid idea at the time...

tablets and the games on them are designed to be a bit exciting.  its hard for many adults to regulate their tech use so no wonder young children find it hard!

#17 Tokra

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

I read your OP last night before anyone responded and all I wanted to say was 'DON'T DO IT', but I was too worried about offending you.

I thought I would be able to regulate my kids with it, but my teenager became addicted.

I absolutely advocate holding off for as long as possible. If you are not going use it yourself, then don't buy it.

Please do some research into it first. There is a lot of information out there on why it is a bad idea for a child so young to have access.

#18 Dadto2

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:06 AM

View PostJosé, on 12 September 2019 - 09:23 AM, said:

almost everyone i know who purchased a tablet for their children regret it. seemed like a goid idea at the time...

tablets and the games on them are designed to be a bit exciting.  its hard for many adults to regulate their tech use so no wonder young children find it hard!

This. My 10 year old had to have an Ipad for year 5, all kids in her year do, so we only got one when it became compulsory. It's not a nightmare, but she is constantly hankering after it, using any excuse to get on it, I'm just checking the weather, I'm looking up recipes etc We've put time restrictions on it and she can only use it certain days, but IMO you're better off without it.

#19 rubyskye

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

Wolf87, on 12 September 2019 - 08:41 AM, said:

Thanks for all the feedback on devices and the gift itself. Lots of thinking to do! Not sure whether to bite the bullet and get an iPad for us so she can have access to one, or just buy a cheaper Samsung for the same reason. We are an apple household...

I’ll have to look into this, she starts 2021 so not to far in the future! We are in quite a low socioeconomic area so probably not.

Thanks for this, that’s really interesting! Had he used your phone for the apps before? DD has used that and watches TV and is generally good and turning off.

Thanks for all this!!!

No we haven't let him use our phones beforehand.

#20 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

My 10 year old DS got his first tablet at 4 and it was a Samsung kids tablet and after a couple or years we upgraded to a regular run of the mill Samsung tablet and he has had it ever since. I have only ever owned Samsung tablets and I think they're great for their price and run really well.

Videos, games etc run well on it and don't lag unless your net sux. I would recommend getting a tough cover like a otterbox. I put my son's tablet in a otterbox as soon as we got it. It has been dropped many times and still works like it did right out of the box.

Edited by ImperatorFuriosa, 12 September 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#21 Moo point

Posted 12 September 2019 - 10:51 AM

I'll counter the "don't do it" with "it works for us." Everyone is different, every child is different. My son is 7 and adores TV and iPad time, but he only uses them with permission, we restrict the usage and what he watches/plays, and there is no issue. He has additional needs and the iPad has been invaluable on long flights/train/road trips, in overseas restaurants when he was younger, and for his learning is has been amazing. He has been in computer classes at school since kindergarten and they use iPads and other technology in class for different things. He is also allowed to use a computer or iPad for typing rather than always handwriting due to his needs. His early iPad use has been a godsend for us.

We are lucky that it doesn't dysregulate him, but we don't make it a "special" thing or heavily restrict it - it's just one a of a range of things he could play with. He has no screen time before school and only a small amount in the late afternoon/early evening, but weekends and holidays are more lax. Sometimes he'll want to play for hours, other times not at all. If it turned him into a misbehaving monster I would pack it away, but we actually use it as his reward - and he now happily does chores and homework in order to earn a bit of screen time. We do the same thing to ourselves :)

It works for us, just wanted to give you a different view.

#22 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostWolf87, on 11 September 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hi gang!
My husband and I have a phone each, a crappy laptop that we don’t use for much, and don’t really have the need for a bells and whistles iPad. I was thinking of getting a tablet for my daughter who will be 4.5 at Xmas. Just to watch Netflix, play games and educational apps. She is very good with technology (at this age anyway!) as in she accepts when I tell her it’s time to finish, doesn’t really ask for it etc. But i thought of instead of handing her my phone if we’re out and I need her kept busy, or if I want an extended lie in, she could have her own tablet. The educational apps are great too.
I was looking at this model -

https://www.binglee....b-a-7-8gb-wi-fi

But I am worried that because it is older, the operating system won’t let me get certain apps etc. But I am a complete dummy when it comes to technology. Any recommendations?

It works for us.  DS2 just had a little tablet time and then wandered off to get the duplo out. DD will often choose drawing or crafting instead of tablet when its offered.

We've got 2 of these, and a more expensive bigger samsung one.  I do find these a little slower than the more expensive model, but kids are happy with them and they steam and play apps fine.  I think they're good value for the price you pay.

#23 mayahlb

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:13 AM

I personally would go with an ipad. You can lock them down tight. This includes setting time limits, periods of making it inaccessible, having them ask permission to download apps (even free ones).

In saying that I hate ours. My kids were pretty good but currently the 9 and 10yr olds... lets just say I threatened total destruction of the devices on the weekend. Yeah we have lots of educational app, gotta say they barely get used. Freaking minecraft on the other hand?

ETA: my kids were ok when they were younger, as they have gotten older however...

Edited by mayahlb, 12 September 2019 - 11:14 AM.

#24 FunkyOwl

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Another who says "it works for us".

Our kids (5 and 8) both have iPads. They got their iPads for Christmas 2 years ago at 3 and 6. We got DS2 the cheapest iPad Mini mainly to stop him wanting DS 1's who needed one for school.

We have had no issues whatsoever because we are very strict with when they can use technology and have been from when they were toddlers, including limited tv.

Absolutely NO games (iPads or Nintendo) are allowed during the week aside from their school apps - Reading Eggs, Mathletics, STEAM apps and Garage Band (DS1 is doing several music extracurricular activities). During the week no technology is to be touched at all until snack, homework, chores and showers are done and checked and they are very good with this (in the early days all technology, tv included, was banned for a week if they broke this rule).

We have all the parental iPad settings in use (time and app limits etc) and they work well except for YouTube and YouTube kids which were completely banned and blocked as nothing seemed to work from blocking them from cr*p I didn't want them watching, so any YouTube time (like watching music videos to dance to) is done in the living room on the tv with me present. They both have very limited apps installed, mostly just school apps.

Our 5 year old uses his mainly for Reading Eggs and Netflix (he has his own channel with his favourites saved) and sometimes drawing. I would say he uses it 2 hours total during the week and 2 hours over the weekend while DS1 is at lessons and he has to wait with me, or 4 hours if a movie gets watched.

We are more relaxed on school holidays and allow them to bring them in the car for 1+ hour drives if they want to (mainly so I can drive in peace without bickering in the back).

He loves that it's his and treats it with extra care and is in charge of keeping it charged (in the kitchen, no technology is kept in their bedrooms) and keeping it safe and off the floor etc.

#25 Drat

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

Another one for don't get it for her, get it for the family.

My in laws got them for all their kids and it's the biggest fight all the time over them.

I'd go an iPad. We have a family iPad and my 3 year old has used it three times.. each time we've been on a plane!

The apps are so much better on iPads. I have a samsung phone and I barely bother with apps or anything as they aren't as good. iPads seem to last forever too. Our iPad is about 6 years old and still going strong. I feel the same about mac laptops, used to be a windows convert but now I'm 100% mac. The quality is definitely worth it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.