Notre-Dame To see or not to see

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bubskitkat

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:33 PM

We are going to Paris next September.

I would like to see the outside of Notre-Dame but my father has told me that he would rather not.

Do you think it is worth seeing post fire? Is it rude? Is this sad?

I did see it about 8 years ago and it was magnificent.

#2 Apple14

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

I would. I wouldn’t make a day out of it, but would defiantly take a walk past while in the city.

I would not think it sad or rude. People living in Paris would see it daily.

#3 eachschoolholidays

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:43 PM

We visited a couple of times before the fire. I would walk past it if I was in Paris. I don’t think I would spend long though.

#4 bowietragic

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:21 AM

I live in Paris and was on Ile de la Cite today, up close there's not much to see. The entire site is surrounded by solid fences (think colourbond)
approx 12 feet high and the back of the church is covered by a prefab type building.

I guess you can see the gargoyles and some of the structure but I think you actually see more from Ile Saint Louis or even from the left bank, lower latin quarter. The distance allows you to see past the building site.

All in all it's pretty sad but there were still a few tourists around and I don't think anyone thought the worst of them. Pretty sure the restaurants and souvenir shops on the island were glad to see them.

Who knows how far they will be in the restoration by next September, there may be more to see.

Edited by bowietragic, 12 September 2019 - 02:24 AM.

#5 bubskitkat

Posted 12 September 2019 - 07:12 AM

Such a beautiful city. I really hope by next September that we can all start to see Notre-dame rise from the ashes and start her next chapter.

I’m only in Paris for 3 nights and there is about 3 weeks of site seeing that I want to do.

#6 Apageintime

Posted 12 September 2019 - 09:58 PM

Walk past it if you're in the area I suppose. There's not much to really see.

#7 jayskette

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:06 PM

What's there to see after the fire lol

#8 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:07 PM

I would. I took my DD there before the fire, she was very moved when she heard about the fire. She’s only 7. It’s a significant part of Parisian history in my opinion.

#9 seayork2002

Posted 13 September 2019 - 01:08 PM

I have been to Paris 3 times and seen about 1% of it, there is so much to do but would only take 5 seconds to walk past if you are already in that area - not sure there is much left though as PPs have said

#10 bubskitkat

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:30 PM

I’m planning on staying near that area. So will walk past and pay my respects.

#11 AliasMater

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

I was there about 15 years ago. It didn't strike me as something to see, let alone go back and see. More of a photo op, been there done that. I am pretty church/temple/castle/cathedral'ed out though! There isn't a lot in the area to 'just walk' past from recollection. You have to 'go there' from memory but I might be wrong about that. Perhaps do a river cruise and you can see it that way.

The Catacombs, now that is a place I wanted to visit... but I didn't do my research and they are only open certain days of the week.

I would go back to the Pere Lachaise cemetery in a heart beat.

Edited by AliasMater, 13 September 2019 - 02:45 PM.

#12 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:52 PM

another place to see at notre dame is the roman archeology underground. it's outside the entrance to notre dame and it's incredible the kids loved it.

#13 bowietragic

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

View PostCaribou, on 13 September 2019 - 02:52 PM, said:

another place to see at notre dame is the roman archeology underground. it's outside the entrance to notre dame and it's incredible the kids loved it.

Sadly due to the fire La Crypte (the archaeological site) is also closed to the public indefinitely. There remains a significant risk of collapse as well as pollution (eg very high lead levels) because of the fire.

#14 bowietragic

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostAliasMater, on 13 September 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

I was there about 15 years ago. It didn't strike me as something to see, let alone go back and see. More of a photo op, been there done that. I am pretty church/temple/castle/cathedral'ed out though! There isn't a lot in the area to 'just walk' past from recollection. You have to 'go there' from memory but I might be wrong about that. Perhaps do a river cruise and you can see it that way.

Actually there's tons of things around Notre Dame - Le Marais, Hotel De Ville etc on the right bank, the Concergerie, Saint-Chapelle, Palais de la Cite on the island and the lower latin quartier and Shakespeare and co for starters on the left bank.

It's the absolute centre of Paris.

#15 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2019 - 08:40 PM

bowietragic, on 13 September 2019 - 08:16 PM, said:

Sadly due to the fire La Crypte (the archaeological site) is also closed to the public indefinitely. There remains a significant risk of collapse as well as pollution (eg very high lead levels) because of the fire.

Oh no! The kids loved that crypt. DD had a great time Sussing our Roman ruins and we even made our own Roman coin.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (2)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.