Gladys Liu

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:25 PM

There's been something fishy about this woman from the start.

https://www.abc.net....iation/11501088

Is the case about the circumstances of her election before the court?

#2 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

Dodge from the get go.
https://www.google.c...rticle/11153430

#3 alias grace

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

No, I don't think that the two are related.  The article that you have linked concerns the perception that Gladys Liu could be seen as enabling Chinese state interference into the Australian political system.  There was an excellent Four Corners episode on this topic more generally a few months ago.  It was aired prior to the Federal Election and does not mention Gladys Liu (prior to her being elected).  

https://www.abc.net....erence/10982212

The impropriety of Gladys Liu's election campaign material is currently before the High Court.

https://www.abc.net....llenge/11365722

#4 Gumbette

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:24 PM

I want a by-election.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

I know they are not related, but it relates to her overall fishiness.

The Chinese influence in our politics reminds me of the thing I read about the Confucius Institute in schools.

https://www.abc.net....erland/11299744

#6 alias grace

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

View PostBethlehem Babe, on 11 September 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

And homophobic and racist to boot!

https://www.theguard...-political-gain

https://www.theguard...hinese-migrants

#7 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

imagine if she was a labor MP

yeh there’s something dodgy about her.....

#8 alias grace

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 11 September 2019 - 03:27 PM, said:

I know they are not related, but it relates to her overall fishiness.

The Chinese influence in our politics reminds me of the thing I read about the Confucius Institute in schools.

https://www.abc.net....erland/11299744

Sorry Lunafreya, I misread your OP.

View PostGumbette, on 11 September 2019 - 03:24 PM, said:

I want a by-election.

I am in her electorate.  I am itching for one!

#9 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:35 PM

...i mean i would at least expect she’d get the same treatment as Sam Dastyari

#10 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

hmmmm, thats interesting. I need to know more though, did they appoint her without her knowledge like she seems to be implying?  Doesnt seem like it, but Id like to know. And how long was she a member?

What do the news corp papers have to say about it?  what a conundrum, they love the Liberals, but hate anyone foreign, whatever shall they do...

#11 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Asians are ok now, it’s brown people and muslims that are scary.
(Yes, sarcastic comment above with the language the Murdoch papers love)

#12 doubting thomas

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM

Why did people vote for her given that there was a lot of information availble before the election about her.? Too late to complain now.

#13 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:56 PM

View Postdoubting thomas, on 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Why did people vote for her given that there was a lot of information availble before the election about her.? Too late to complain now.

She is very visible in the local community and has a lot of local support.  And a decent amount of support from other chinese Australians too.  Plus, its just generally a liberal voting area, seems to be swinging more and more to the right.

#14 Lunafreya

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

And there were the posters in Chinese that looked disturbingly like AEC signs...

#15 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:05 PM

View Postdoubting thomas, on 11 September 2019 - 03:53 PM, said:

Why did people vote for Morrison, Dutton, BJ and a myriad of others, given the information available about them?

#16 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:06 PM

View PostLunafreya, on 11 September 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

And there were the posters in Chinese that looked disturbingly like AEC signs...

yes....she didn’t exactly run a fair campaign.

anyway...the Speaker is now apparently ruling any question from the Opposition about her as “out of order” so it doesn’t look like we’ll get to the bottom of it. the LNP are circling the wagons....

#17 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:33 PM

Interesting to hear Morrison's distinction between her and Dastyari -

1 - no money changed hands...... (that we know of, yet) and,
2 - she is newer to parliament and more junior than Dastiari was.  

Great excuses.  No double standards, of course.

#18 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:40 PM

how good is foreign influence of our government!

#19 Ozquoll

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:34 PM

View PostRuf~Feral~es, on 11 September 2019 - 04:33 PM, said:

Interesting to hear Morrison's distinction between her and Dastyari -

1 - no money changed hands...... (that we know of, yet) and,
2 - she is newer to parliament and more junior than Dastiari was.  

Great excuses.  No double standards, of course.
I really need to bury my head in the sand and not read about this...it's bad for my blood pressure 😡.

One wonders if Mr Morrison has ever read our constitution? Specifically, this bit:

44. Any person who -

(i.) Is under any acknowledgement of allegiance, obedience, or adherence to a foreign power, or is a subject or a citizen or entitled to the rights or privileges of a subject or citizen of a foreign power..........
shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a senator or a member of the House of Representatives.

Jesus H Christ I'm sick of what is happening to this country. And Morrison...I am afraid his rat-cunning may exceed even that of the old master himself, John Howard.

Edited by Ozquoll, 11 September 2019 - 09:34 PM.

#20 Lunafreya

Posted 12 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

Morrison is hitting back

https://www.sbs.com....ese-australians

Don’t stick your neck out too far

#21 MarigoldMadge

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:04 PM

Shows how useless the LNP candidate selection is - she should have never even made it to preselection.

Given the ASIO stuff now, gobsmacked that the party machine didn't step in earlier.

And the difference between Sam and Gladys - one seat majority.

I think people and media kind of forget the one seat majority this excuse of a government has - Alex Taylor, Gladys Liu, Barnaby, Stuart Roberts etc - they will just keep battling onwards.

The ICAC bill will be interesting when it arrives and how the LNP handle it.

ETA - Angus Taylor, my bad.

Edited by MarigoldMadge, 12 September 2019 - 01:20 PM.

#22 Lunafreya

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:11 PM

It must be a cold day in hell. I agree with Andrew Bolt.

No wonder I feel sick today.

#23 MarigoldMadge

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:14 PM

Hah, likewise!

#24 Ozquoll

Posted 12 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

The issue of Chinese government influence/interference in our politics is well overdue to blow up in the public awareness.

I have a lot of time for Rex Patrick, the guy who attempted to bring some sanity to our plans to build ludicrously overpriced submarines in Adelaide. Here he is recently, trying to start a Senate inquiry into our relationship with China...and his proposal being voted down by both Libs and Labs.
https://www.canberra...house/?cs=14231

#25 Lunafreya

Posted 12 September 2019 - 02:04 PM

And Labor?  Their snouts are in the trough too?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.