Makeup refresh at 40

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 SuburbanPlum

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:06 PM

Seeking advice on a fresh start in the beauty department. I'm out of the habit as far as makeup goes and not very skilled, but interested in building a new kit of basics. My look is natural and fairly minimal but I'd like to be a bit more put together/maintained than I am now.
So what do you suggest? In particular, looking for good BB/CC, facial sunscreen, blush, mascara and light-to-medium coverage foundation tips. Reasonably priced a bonus.
Also, any miracle hair products that are both volumising and smoothing? Post babies, my relatively fine but wavy hair is flatter, straighter and yet fuzzier than previously.

Edited by SuburbanPlum, 10 September 2019 - 07:09 PM.

#2 me-n-b

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:36 PM

I like Garnier BB cream (light coverage) the universal shade. Also liking the mcobeauty cheek tint (the pinkish shade). Both of these are on sale at Woolies this week.
Can't help with the others but I am looking for good eyeshadow (not too sparkly, good coverage, nice warm colours).
My hair sounds pretty similar but actually happy with it at the moment using no shampoo (following curly girl method for dd with her mass of curls but all I'm doing is conditioner wash, then condition). Took maybe 2 months but my hair had settled and now has more volume

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:46 PM

I got heaps of great tips from YouTube actually. I search for a product and see reviews and tutorials. I know there are a few that say they are for 'mature' skin (I'm 42) that give great natural makeup tips (not the glam bronzer and highlight and concealer all over your face of the young and trendy!). I'd probably search medium foundation for dry skin or whatever. I follow a young lady whose skin is as pale as mine which is great for tips of colours. I also got excellent tips for eye makeup for my hooded eyes (search Shelbey Wilson for that). I love EmilyNoel89 too.

I've heard good things about It Cosmetics CC cream. I'm loving the new Pat McGrath mascara. Not sure its reasonable though! I like the maybelline one in a yellow tube too. Nars make good eyeshadow and blush. I've always liked the Shiseido Clear Stick Sun Protection SPF50+.

But you will get better results looking up your skin type (dry, oily etc) and looking at women with similar complexions and the colours they use.

Good luck! I did something similar at 40 and went a little bonkers lol. So dont do what I did and want all the new things!

Edited by Mollyksy, 10 September 2019 - 08:47 PM.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:11 PM

I wear a pretty minimal amount of make up each day

Hangover Primer from Too Faced is my base.  I use it as both moisturiser and primer as my skins isn’t oily or dry

Then Nars Radiant concealer under my eyes for my dark circles

Just over the concealer I brush Hourglass setting powder.   It’s freaking expensive, but I only use it there as it stops my concealer from making my mascara run

Then I brush Mac Studio fix over the rest of my face.

Curl my lashes and add mascara.    If I’m glamming it up a have a small pallet of Too Faced Natural eyes

For hair, the best investment I made was a really good hairdryer.   I bought a Parlux and I love it so much I take it with me when I travel for work.    It really makes a difference and my hair isn’t as frizzy.

#5 IamOzgirl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 09:50 PM

black/Brown shade of mascara is less harsh on our aging faces than Black.

#6 nom_de_plume

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:40 AM

IT cosmetics do a great CC cream in a good range of shades. Choose a radiant finish if you’re a normal - dry skin type or the matter finish if you’re an oily skin type. If you’re a medium skin tone you can probably get away with a drugstore BB cream like Garnier. If you’re paler you could look at some Korean brands.

Mecca To Save Face is the best SPF I’ve found for using with makeup. If you visit a Mecca store they are usually very generous with their samples so you can get the sunscreen and IT Costmetics CC to try first. Many people also like the La Roche Posay Anthelios which is available at Chemist Warehouse or Priceline.

Blush you could pick just about anything out and it will do the job. You might like a cream product or something with a more glowy finish as these products are more natural.

Mascara you generally can’t go wrong buying anything by Maybelline or L’Oréal. Essence Lash Princess in the green/black tube is also cheap and good.

#7 *holdontight*

Posted 11 September 2019 - 08:39 AM

I'm all natural so use Nude by Nature & you can generally get it at 40% off at Big W or Chemist Warehouse.  When I want a quick cover I use the BB Cream & when wanting a bit more I go with the Flawless with a primer & foundation cover.  Very rarely use anything else but have their blush, eyeshadows & mascara.  I use the Berts Bees tinted lip shimmer & oils.

My hair I swear by Argan Oil.

#8 SuburbanPlum

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

Thanks ladies. I'm taking notes!

#9 spr_maiden

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

View PostIamOzgirl, on 10 September 2019 - 09:50 PM, said:

black/Brown shade of mascara is less harsh on our aging faces than Black.

Along these lines,  I've worn brown eyeliner for years but have embraced coloured eyeliner this year. There are so many different shades out these days,  you'll find one to suit. Can be less harsh in looks,  and can really make eye colour stand out. Google coloured eyeliner for your eye colour and skin tone.

#10 Let-it-go

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:11 PM

I think I’d just go to a Mecca Cosmetica and ask for a do-over!

#11 aquarium2

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:55 PM

or check out the make up service in your local Priceline;

https://www.pricelin...d=tile-20181304

It's awesome and you get to spend the $60 on products!

#12 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:42 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 11 September 2019 - 02:11 PM, said:

I think I’d just go to a Mecca Cosmetica and ask for a do-over!

I sent mum to do this for her birthday and they were fantastic!

#13 gracie1978

Posted 11 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

Just seconding a few things
Nude by nature mineral powder foundation is terrific
10 seconds to get rid of redness or 90 seconds effort for more medium coverage

Parlux or any good hair dryer and a decent shampoo and conditioner, I really notice a difference when I don't use redken.  It then takes far less time to tame :). Also I get mine cut every 8 weeks and it's just above the shoulder.

Maybelline blush and any cheapie eyebrow pencil
I use Clinique skincare and twice a year the free gift with purchase comes with lippie, so use that.  It's a neutral pink.

#14 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:11 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 10 September 2019 - 09:11 PM, said:

For hair, the best investment I made was a really good hairdryer.   I bought a Parlux and I love it so much I take it with me when I travel for work. It really makes a difference and my hair isn’t as frizzy.

I was just coming to say I have a parlux and it makes a huge difference. I use a touch of argan oil serum to smooth it but only a tiny bit as I have oily hair (and believe it or not oily skin can still be a thing in your 40s!)

#15 Gumbette

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

At 46 I went to Mecca and let them have their way with me - I’ve never looked back. Can’t sing their praises enough.  Main thing was going from a matte to a luminous foundation - gives a glow without sinking into fine lines.  The Hourglass translucent veil was my real splurge -$70 for 10 grams, however,  18 months on and I still have over half of it left and I use it every weekday so it turned out to be a bargain and  well worth the money.

#16 *Melstar*

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:39 AM

Gumbette, on 11 September 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

At 46 I went to Mecca and let them have their way with me - I’ve never looked back. Can’t sing their praises enough.  Main thing was going from a matte to a luminous foundation - gives a glow without sinking into fine lines.  The Hourglass translucent veil was my real splurge -$70 for 10 grams, however,  18 months on and I still have over half of it left and I use it every weekday so it turned out to be a bargain and  well worth the money.

This is totally my recommendation too. Have never had bad advice or service there. Staff are brilliant. They will give you samples so you can try at home. I've changed lots of my products based on their suggestions!

I use a lot of Hourglass products, Kevyn mascara, Dr Dennis moisturiser and serum, Nars lipstick and blush, Mecca To save face sunscreen, Laura Mercier powder... I like that they do not promote one brand over others. It's all about matching the right product to your need.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.