SN wins thread

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#26 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 23 September 2019 - 11:41 AM

View PostGumbette, on 13 September 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

That's awesome SL.  May I ask what course he is going to do?

Thanks. It is a follow on course from his VET course this year (yr 12 and cert 3 in sports and recreation). It is a double diploma, one in sport development and the other in business. It gives him direct entry into a number of uni courses at the end of it with with some unit credits.

In another bit of good news, DS16 attends a group for kids with asd who have an interest in gaming, computers, animation etc. DS has been going for three years. It is the only social interaction he look forward to. His confidence in the group has grown so much that he has decided he would like to become one of the group mentors. The guy who runs the group is thrilled. So am I.

#27 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

I put all 3 kids to bed in 35 mins!!!

#28 Yippee-Ki-Yay

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:53 PM

CP that deserves special recognition! Well done!

#29 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:49 AM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 23 September 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

I put all 3 kids to bed in 35 mins!!!

Whoa! That’s huge!!

Mine is that we have set up Proloquo2Go for youngest.  And he is loving it and so fluent. He’s busy asking us about our favourite things, joking and teasing his brother, asking us for help to find stuff. It’s amazing.

Biggest has just been invited to his first ever sleepover. I’m so thrilled for him.

#30 ali-song

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:37 AM

I love reading everyone’s wins!

My DS14 just got back from a week long wilderness experience camp that I was pretty worried about (due to sensory issues - yucky toilets, borrowed gear, washing dishes, general muck and grime). Almost the first words out of his mouth when I picked him up were ‘I hope the next session doesn’t clash with our family holiday’. :) His friend (who also went) said DS was probably the most annoying person on the camp, which DS agreed with, but they seemed quite tolerant of his annoyingness.

And no, he didn’t use the drop toilet!

#31 MsLaurie

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:05 PM

Signed Miss4 up to a “school readiness” program at the very last minute (as in, completed the forms at 11am for a session starting at 1pm...), and she seemed to really like it. And thankfully for my worries, her writing her name was just as good as the other kids, although her scissors skills were woeful... of course it turns out she was insisting on copying the other kids, so the teacher didn’t realise she’s a lefty and needs lefty scissors 🤦‍♀️
Nevermind, they know now, so hopefully better cutting next week!

#32 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 07 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

We had the best ever day out with the kids last weekend. Ever. No screaming for almost 2 hours, playing together nicely outside in the sun on bikes.

I crashed dodging one of them, broke my helmet and have a very sore head - but I would pay that price every single day if it guaranteed another two hours like that!

Actually, I wasn't sure whether to post in wins or vents but I'm staying positive.

#33 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:41 PM

That's brilliant CP! I hope you get a lot more days like that.

Kiddo changed meds, so far it's been a smooth transition with little to no side effects and a decrease in the hyper dysregulated behavior in the afternoon/evenings (just a change from ritalin LA to concerta as it lasts longer). He's happier, therefore almost all of us are happier.

#34 bubskitkat

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:49 PM

I’m over taking my autistic brother away every time we go anywhere. I end up more exhausted than before the holiday.

Today I filled in the forms to have him go away with a group of careers and people with additional needs. They have so many great activities for these people and it will help him become more self sufficient and more socially aware.

Here’s hoping my father doesn’t veto the idea.

BTW my brother is going overseas with us 3 times next year and also is in on every “mini break” I’m taking. I’m not just fobbing him off.

#35 yummymummycakes

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:30 PM

OMG!! Today I got a phone call from Moniques school - after over 10 years of trying she made a sentence with Proloquo2Go!

"I helping blue" she was telling her teachers she was helping to make blue jelly!!

#36 Odd-1-Out

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

My 3 year old ASD boy with very very limited vocabulary pointed at his shoes and actually said "shoes" so random but so glad to hear him saying a new word.

#37 CCABW

Posted 08 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

Loving this thread!

My ASD kid overcame some severe school anxiety at the weekend and has had two really great days since school went back. Is generally a lot happier and is gaining confidence in making friends and in their talent for animation.

#38 Ozquoll

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

I noticed my 6yo DS with ASD was unconsciously 'mirroring' me as we sat on the couch talking last night - when I leaned back, he leaned back; when I rested my head on my fist he did the same, and so forth. He wasn't doing it deliberately - in fact he was quite surprised when I commented on it!

He very rarely mirrors anyone, but he was very calm and we were having a lovely chat, so perhaps for once he was able to focus and tune in.

#39 Mrs Claus

Posted 31 October 2019 - 10:11 PM

We took the kids trick or treating today and low verbal 3 year old said ‘thank you’ at one house and ‘bye’ at all the others (after spending half an hr finding a costume/cape he would wear)

#40 MsLaurie

Posted 01 November 2019 - 09:10 PM

DD & I were struggling down the stairs both laden with stuff from the car, and I said “I don’t have enough hands”. She said “I don’t have enough hands either.... [long pause]... we need to be a octopus!”
Not bad from a kid who struggles with language!

#41 Silverstreak

Posted 02 November 2019 - 06:46 AM

Such a gorgeous thread!

DS started talking late last year and mostly in response to a question, but he's started to say "help" when he wants help, which is huge for us. He's also saying "no" a lot, haha and pointing out things around the house, on the TV etc. He's been saying stuff like "vegemite" "SBS food" and "Octonauts" and it's quite startling, really!

#42 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 02 November 2019 - 07:43 AM

DS is fully independent at Little Athletics, including being responsible for getting his spikes on and off when needed.  He gets himself to his events when they are announced over the PA system (this is huge) and he’s ready for his turn without his name being called -the kids do their events in a set order .  He’s also doing all his runs without a support runner.

Massive change from when we started 18months ago.

#43 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 02 November 2019 - 08:35 AM

Ds1 struggles with his fine motor skills.  I've been working with him at home a lot, but its a struggle to get him to do it and it involves bribes and lots of arguing and refusal and him saying he cant do it.  On Wednesday when I was going through everything I needed to talk to his teacher about, he was sitting beside me drawing.  He rarely draws.  He asked me to write his name on his picture and I said he'd have to wait because I was working.  He did it himself, with no argument, he wrote his name and he drew a person and no guessing required anyone could read his name and see it was a person.

#44 Winging it Mum

Posted 11 November 2019 - 09:58 AM

DS13 had sports day at his school last week. It's his second term there. He took his headphones and competed in all the events & he was so happy. Was so proud of him.

Yesterday he did a karate grading with an inclusive group that he doesn't train with as they are quite a distance from us. It was a little overwhelming at first but eventually the smiles were there and he was the only one grading for the level he was doing so he was up there by himself at one point.

All of the other kids and adults were all so amazing and I'm so glad that there are more clubs like this happening. An essay one of the trainers read out that one girl had written as part of her grading was so touching & these types of groups impact so much on their lives. I'm grateful my DS gets to be a part of it as well.

Edited by Winging it Mum, 11 November 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#45 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 11 November 2019 - 07:15 PM

IEP academic meeting today to update on progress. Teacher said if being able to infer complex things from the text wasn’t a factor she reckons he’s would just scrape into standard for reading. She said he can decode easily at standard now, it’s just the more complex comprehension side of things. This is massive massive progress for my kiddo. (We won’t talk about writing...)

#46 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 12 November 2019 - 06:55 AM

We got a puppy and DS will accept touch from him when he’s upset. We found a scooter DS can use thanks to EB help, and now he is happy to independently scoot into school. This morning DS independently came up with the idea of writing a note to his favourite teacher, sat down and did it without help. That never happens.

#47 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:08 AM

That's wonderful news Pooks!

#48 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 12 November 2019 - 10:22 AM

That's great news Mayahlb & Pooks.

Did some sensory calming activities with Ds1 before school run today.  Managed to keep the morning nice and calm, requiring lots of exhausting micro managing.  Lots of discussion about the rules for school (no pushing, no hugging except for me, no kicking) on the walk there & promised him a sticker on a sticker chart when we got home if he could stick to the rules. DS1 made it through chior and didnt push anyone when we had to walk down the corridor to the office. We did have to stop to count numbers and he wouldnt wear his ear muffs and screamed at the bell, but no one got pushed or hugged when they didn't want one.  After the last few weeks of school runs feels like a win.

Edited by SM3s Fight Song, 12 November 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#49 MayaTheGrinch

Posted 12 November 2019 - 12:30 PM

Sm3 that’s brilliant news! I forgot to PM you but I’ll post it here anyway. If anyone is looking for a good sensory input/motor skills book try the “Motor skill Flip-book program” by Sally Mcmara. It’s really easy to use and give so many examples of different fun activities you can do that target different areas. We bought one for work and I seriously wish I had had a copy when DS was little.

Edited by mayahlb, 12 November 2019 - 12:31 PM.

#50 bubskitkat

Posted 12 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

DS has been very calm this week since setting his fathers house on fire.

Today he went to a mainstream school and participated in a class for kids with additional needs. He’s very proud of himself.

He then did speech therapy and went very well.

Overall today has been a good day for him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.