G O D

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 gracie1978

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:14 PM

So.... I'm a crazy ass atheist.  Just so you have context.

DS's friends are all going to a lovely local Catholic school next year, we will be heading to a public school in another suburb.

One of these friends who is 4, started randomly talking to DS about God creating everything when we were walking home together.  It kind of didn't go anywhere because DS didn't understand and just ignored him.

But I'm thinking it'll come up more next year when these kids start at their religious school.

Any ideas or tips on how to deal with it?  I'm going to need to watch myself from muttering things like sky fairy...

Edited by gracie1978, 10 September 2019 - 12:15 PM.

#2 Mands09

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yeah we had that with the ELC we sent our kids to at 3/4 they would do a 15 minute ‘church service’. I just told the kids that some people believe in god and it makes them feel happy to think that god exists. We don’t believe in god and it was okay to have different opinions. I tried not to use ‘god isn’t real’ type language as I didn’t want them to say that to their friends and make them upset.  My husband on the other hand was pretty quick to stomp on any talk of ‘god does this.... god is awesome’ talk that did start at home from the weekly brainwashing sessions.

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

We just go with some people believe in a god or higher power as they need to believe their is more than just existing.

I don’t say we don’t believe in god because I don’t know what my kids beliefs will be. I say what I personally believe and so does DH (we are on different pages with this) and that our kids are free to choose what they wish to believe in.

We use it as a teaching lesson on tolerance of others but also explaining that it’s not ok to use religion to hurt others or dictate the way they live. Age appropriately of course.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:23 PM

I just say to my kids when the topic comes up that everyone has their own beliefs and none of them are right or wrong. Seems to be enough to make them move onto the next topic.

#5 Dadto2

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:24 PM

View PostMands09, on 10 September 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yeah we had that with the ELC we sent our kids to at 3/4 they would do a 15 minute ‘church service’. I just told the kids that some people believe in god and it makes them feel happy to think that god exists. We don’t believe in god and it was okay to have different opinions. I tried not to use ‘god isn’t real’ type language as I didn’t want them to say that to their friends and make them upset.  My husband on the other hand was pretty quick to stomp on any talk of ‘god does this.... god is awesome’ talk that did start at home from the weekly brainwashing sessions.

Yeah this.

I'm quite anti-religion, but I try hard to remain impartial and objective with the kids.

#6 Oh Peanuts!

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:28 PM

We’ve been reading ‘how did I get here’ by Philip Bunting. A great book that discusses the science behind everything in a way that 4/5 year olds understand.

I’m just introducing the kids to what I believe, with the hope that it’ll make conversations about religion etc easier to address when they crop up. Not sure if that approach works just yet, but it’s the plan at this stage.

#7 gracie1978

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:31 PM

I'm thinking religion would actually make death conversations easier to deal with...

#8 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:34 PM

My dd goes to a catholic school and asks lots of questions about god and science

we just say that people believe different things and in different gods (or none) and the bible is stories to help people understand things not necessarily fact.

What is an ELC doing having church services???????

View Postgracie1978, on 10 September 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm thinking religion would actually make death conversations easier to deal with...

yes it does

#9 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

I was raised to be atheist but I don’t have any strong views one way or the other so I just say some people believe this and other people believe that and just go from there. DS has friends who lots of different religions and some are really into it (fasting etc) so I don’t push it one way another. I ask they kids what they think, then say that’s interesting, then we try look up more info, find stuff out.

Growing up I used to hate it when I asked mum about God and she’d just dismiss it with its all rubbish, and no further information, so with the kids I tell them to learn as much as possible about anything they are interested in and go from there.

I do tell the kids I personally don’t believe in religion, because it all comes from peoples ideas and information that’s handed down, so there’s a lot of room for misinformation and confusion, but the concept of a higher power I say I think that’s possible, because I don’t know if that’s been proved 100% true or false either way.

#10 Mands09

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:48 PM

View PostMoreCoffeePlease, on 10 September 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

My dd goes to a catholic school and asks lots of questions about god and science

we just say that people believe different things and in different gods (or none) and the bible is stories to help people understand things not necessarily fact.

What is an ELC doing having church services???????

yes it does

It’s part of the religious school. You are somewhat told what you are signing up for so we did know.

#11 MoreCoffeePlease

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostMands09, on 10 September 2019 - 12:48 PM, said:

It’s part of the religious school. You are somewhat told what you are signing up for so we did know.

thats ok then

#12 seayork2002

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:51 PM

When our son asks questions we phrase it as 'some people believe...'

whether it is religion or science based questions.

I am trying hard not to influence him too much on how he should beleive so if someone was talking to him about God creating tree, for example, if he was fine with the conversation I would not butt in or correct it.

If he asks me personally personally 'how were trees created' and did not mention religion I would explain seeds turn into trees.

Our favourite topic on on walks seems to be every single minute detail of space with him surpassing my knowledge by a million times so I spend it mostly listening to him. I am not sure how to answer if God just created earth or the whole of the universe/galaxy thing and if there is aliens would they believe in God so I leave that well alone

Edited by seayork2002, 10 September 2019 - 12:53 PM.

#13 Avocado tree

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:03 PM

The “some people believe” conversation is an easy explanation, and it’s really nothing to get concerned about.  It is only as big an issue as you want to make it.

#14 Anonforthistime

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

View PostAvocado tree, on 10 September 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

The “some people believe” conversation is an easy explanation, and it’s really nothing to get concerned about.  It is only as big an issue as you want to make it.

This.

In the same way that you would want people of faith to respect you not believing in a god, it is important that we all teach our children to respect that some other people do believe in a god. Religion is just one of many kinds of differences you will teach your children about.
Tolerance and respect from and for all belief systems is the way for all of us to live together.

#15 Gumbette

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:19 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 10 September 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

I just say to my kids when the topic comes up that everyone has their own beliefs and none of them are right or wrong. Seems to be enough to make them move onto the next topic.

My children attend a Christian school but we're Buddhists.  They've been taught from an early age, that we respect differing beliefs just as we would have them respect ours.  Their friends can talk about their religion (we don't but Buddhists don't really tend to preach per se.) and we listen but it doesn't mean we have to believe.  (An example I gave was how I listen to my colleagues talk about the Bachelor but it doesn't mean I have to watch it too!).  It's actually improved as the children mature.  They no longer have blind faith in things and start to analyse teachings more.

#16 Luci

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

View PostAvocado tree, on 10 September 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

I just said to my kids that some people believe but I don’t. And that they can decide for themselves when they are older. That seemed to suffice.

#17 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

yeh we do the “some people believe” - we are atheists and my kids go to public schools...they’ve always nominated non-scripture or secular ethics over RE (NSW) - but, in spite of that, they have always been exposed to religion - christianity, judaism, islam being the main ones - due to friends, family - also the benefits of a multicultural society - there are huge cross overs between culture and the various religions which they see through street festivals, decorations, night markets etc. we don’t shy away from religion and always welcome the discussion - the good and the bad. the very very bad. they need to know it all - you can’t sugar coat it.

#18 SM3s Fight Song

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postlozoodle, on 10 September 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

I just go with this.  And that beliefs a personal choice, its ok to believe or not, it doesn't mean eithers right or wrong as long as you let others have their beliefs.

#19 aquarium2

Posted 10 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Being atheist, my daughter goes to a public school and I have always told her that some people choose to believe and others don't and that she is to respect other people opinions.

At around the age of 6 going on 7, she decided that she too didn't believe in the super natural and became fascinated with the story of evolution and started taking books to school on the big bang theory.

Unfortunately, this has led to some issues. She was pressured by other Christian and Muslim children to believe in a god and been made to feel ashamed for not doing so.

I had to ask the parents of these children and the school to reinforce the idea that children are allowed to have their own opinion and shouldn't be shamed either way.

My catholic friends were horrified at the idea that I was asking them to enlighten their children with the idea that is was ok not to believe and one in particular refused to suggest this to her daughter, saying it can't be open to question and there was no way she would suggest this to her daughter.

Next time these children were over at our place I took the opportunity to suggest that we all have to respect one another's opinions and that it was ok for my daughter to not believe.  Some of the children were shocked at the idea that it might be open to question.

So sad to see children brainwashed from such a young age and have such bigoted and narrow minded views passed down from adults.

Edited by aquarium2, 11 September 2019 - 10:15 AM.

#20 boysescakes

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

I’m an atheist and was brought up like that. The kids nanna is a practicing Anglican and the kids have gone to church with her on occasion.
Both will be at an Anglican school next year. Eldest has already been there for two years.
I’ve never spoken about it with them? I have no issue if they ask me stuff about it.
I don’t care if they believe or not. I think having knowledge on different religions is power and they can make there own mind up on the subject. I certainly won’t sway them one way or the other.
I think even if you don’t believe, it’s good to know about the different religions out there and why people believe what they do.
I work with an Indian lady and she has strong religious beliefs. I find it fascinating, her families rituals and beliefs.
Unless you are hurting someone with these beliefs, it’s nice to be respectful of such customs.

#21 knottygirl

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

I think everyone should be able to make up their own mind. My oldest son believes in god and will sometimes ask to go to church. I don’t see an issue with it.

I have a friend that devoutly went to church. Kids were raised in the church they were very committed. Then they started questioning their own believes and stopped going. The kids are really confused and upset. They have been told their whole life that not going is a sin and now they aren’t going.

#22 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:20 PM

DH is strongly atheist.

We just told our kids that different people believe different things and they are free to make up their own minds what they want to believe.

We also talked about respecting people's differences and if they want to know more about church they can go with my Mum, who goes to church every Sunday.

They then asked what happens at church but decided it sounds boring!

It hasn't been a big deal. Some of our friends are Christian, they haven't tried to convert our kids, and we are respectful how we talk about their beliefs.

#23 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

a good way (i think) to teach your kids about religion is to point to current examples - let them see how politicians and other people in power twist religion to fit their ideals and objectives - where some people may think a person’s religious beliefs informs their views and influences their values - it’s really the other way round - people have ideals and values, desires and preferences  and they manipulate existing religious dogma and ritual to fit those ideals - Morrison and his brand of prosperity theology is a good example. the conservatives want to punish the poor and privatise welfare - he can sell this as a religious imperative, it’s then beyond reproach - and he is beyond reproach. it’s quite brilliant. scarily brilliant.

#24 gracie1978

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for the great advice

I'm surprised by how triggered I was listening to another child tell my son about God.

#25 purplekitty

Posted 10 September 2019 - 03:19 PM

If religious beliefs or statements conflicted with science and/or knowledge that was always corrected with our children,otherwise tolerance for beliefs were practiced but not tolerance for bigoted or hateful expressions of that belief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.