Loft bed for 11yo

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:41 AM

DD needs a new bed.  She says her mattress is fine (it’s not) and she wants a loft bed to be able to use the space underneath.

I’m considering second hand.

I’m open to this. I’ve found an IKEA Stuva without the desk for $200, including the mattress.  Any thoughts, experiences with these beds?  Or other suggestions?

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:57 AM

Who is going to make the bed? A loft bed would be even more harder to make than a bunk, epescially if it's a very high one.
Have you considered a midi cabin bunk with storage drawers and cupboards and a pull out desk? Then you don't have to have a chest of drawers and a desk taking up space? Put some floating shelves on the wall for her to display stuff?
Here's an example of what I am thinking of.
https://www.harveyno...ni-sleeper.html

#3 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:10 AM

^thats partly why I’m thinking second hand.  Use it for a few years, get over the novelty then go back to a normal bed.

She’s already got a desk and shelving and draws in her robe.  It’s really for the fun of it and the floor space she’s after.

As for changing the sheets I figure we can put a fitted sheet on then have her sleep in a sleeping bag liner.

#4 StoneFoxArrow

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

My DD (6) has a IKEA Kura bed. Although it's made for younger children, it's similar to the one above from Harvery Norman.
I don't have a problem making my DD's bed, but the Stuva is much taller, so I agree with PP that it might be difficult.

ETA: I saw your reply and thought I'd alsp mention that if it's an IKEA mattress, they tend to be quite light. I can easily take my DD"s on and off the bed to change the sheet if I want. She only has a fitted sheet.

Edited by StoneFoxArrow, 09 September 2019 - 10:14 AM.

#5 BusbyWilkes

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:13 AM

We got rid of ours around 11 (the loft, not the child).

They are difficult to make the bed and change he sheets. Also depends on how tall the loft and how tall the child. In order for the space underneath to be functional, the bed needs to be quite tall. Depending upon your ceiling height, it doesn't always leave a lot of room on the bed. It got to the point with ours where heads could be banged on the ceiling if you sat up suddenly in bed.

#6 kirstenfleur

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

Definitely second hand- we bought an expensive loft bed for our son, with a desk and drawers underneath, only to discover that he's terrified of heights. He ended up sleeping on the floor. It's currently disassembled in the lounge room, until we get around to selling it, and we got him a cabin bed with big drawers and a bedhead, and he's much happier.

(actually, if you're in Melb, are you interested in a timber loft bed? ;) )

#7 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:18 AM

DD has been blessed with the short gene.  She can pass for a 6 year old and still has her size 4 school uniform.

And yes, I am in Melbourne 😁

#8 kirstenfleur

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

This is the one we got, only all in dark wood:
https://bunkers.com...._saver_complete

Message me if you're interested... :D

#9 NastyGal

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

Just bought a Stuva loft bed for my 10yo DD. I was worried she wouldn't be able to sit up in bed without hitting her head but she's can do so easily, even though she's quite tall. Our ceilings are the minimum height recommended by Ikea.

She adores the bed, and it makes great use of the limited space in her small room. She sits at her desk to read and play, and the storage space is a bonus as well.

The first night she was scared when she went to bed in case it collapsed but after a couple of nights she was fine.

We got a professional handyman in to assemble the bed, who I think is a qualified carpenter, and it took him about five hours to put it together! So it's a big job.

And it's only new, so I haven't actually changed the sheets yet. I imagine it's going to be a pain, but it's a worthwhile trade off for us.

#10 Gudrun

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

My 13 y o granddaughter has a loft bed.  Had it for a few years. She loves it.  It's like a 'get-away' quiet place to read etc.

Friends sit or sleep underneath.

#11 fouronthefloor

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:16 AM

Haven't got a loft bed but do have a set of bunks. The quality from Bunkers ( as per a pp ) is really good. More expensive than IKEA but imo much better quality ( oh, and I have a lot of IKEA stuff too )

#12 andyk

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

View PostNastyGal, on 09 September 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Just bought a Stuva loft bed for my 10yo DD. I was worried she wouldn't be able to sit up in bed without hitting her head but she's can do so easily, even though she's quite tall. Our ceilings are the minimum height recommended by Ikea.

She adores the bed, and it makes great use of the limited space in her small room. She sits at her desk to read and play, and the storage space is a bonus as well.

The first night she was scared when she went to bed in case it collapsed but after a couple of nights she was fine.

We got a professional handyman in to assemble the bed, who I think is a qualified carpenter, and it took him about five hours to put it together! So it's a big job.

And it's only new, so I haven't actually changed the sheets yet. I imagine it's going to be a pain, but it's a worthwhile trade off for us.

Thanks for the info, I’m about to buy one for 8yo DD, I think she’s going to love it!

#13 waawa17

Posted 09 September 2019 - 01:56 PM

We swear by the Bunkers furniture - my kid went from Bunkers cot to toddler bed to loft bed with desk underneath. They're solid as a rock and will last forever. His old cot is now a treehouse.

#14 ~J_F~

Posted 09 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

My DD has a loft bed. She loves it.

We don’t really make beds, so that’s not an issue and it’s pretty easy to throw the quilt on straight to neaten it up if needed. I just drag the mattress off to change the sheets.

That said I have never really found making bunks or the loft bed as complicated as many people make out.

#15 Lalala4

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:41 PM

As pps have said, they can be painful to make and aren't ideal for tall kids. You also have to think about clip-on lamps etc as usually no bedside table. It's awkward when they're sick, they usually move out to the sofa bed.
We're thinking of getting rid of ours because it's just too hot up near the ceiling in summer. But I did love the extra space! And it's kind of more private for them.

#16 waawa17

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:38 PM

View PostLalala4, on 09 September 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

As pps have said, they can be painful to make and aren't ideal for tall kids. You also have to think about clip-on lamps etc as usually no bedside table.

We just mounted a shelf on the wall.

#17 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:25 PM

The 8yo sleeps in a Bunkers bunk. It's the top bed of this set:
https://bunkers.com....ine_corner_bunk
Bought 2nd hand. He has a clip on lamp from Ikea and a pocket that hangs on the the side rail:  https://m.ikea.com/a...s/art/40421391/

Edited by FuzzyChocolateToes, 09 September 2019 - 07:25 PM.

#18 Charli73

Posted 09 September 2019 - 07:33 PM

We have the stuva loft for our 8yo DS and he is very tall, he’s hit his head once but he’s learnt now.

We don’t have the desk underneath but he has a mat and drawers with his huge lego collection and he plays there for hours..

We got an ikea foam Mattress so we could change the fitted sheet and it’s not too bad. I’m not sure how long he is going to want this bed but he does love it and his sister is asking for one now.. it was about $200 new and I put it together.

#19 bubskitkat

Posted 09 September 2019 - 08:16 PM

View Postkirstenfleur, on 09 September 2019 - 10:26 AM, said:

This is the one we got, only all in dark wood:
https://bunkers.com...._saver_complete

Message me if you're interested... :D

My son has a bunkers bunk with 6 draws underneath. Very sturdy and very practical.

#20 jayskette

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:31 PM

Privilege of getting a loft bed should be making the bed :)

#21 QuirkyMum

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:09 PM

OP, I like the idea of a loft bed but don't like really the height...
My son really wanted one and as a compromise, I got and assembled low bunk IKEA Kura bed. It looks flimsy but it is not. Looks like it is not tall enough to use space underneath but my 10 year old and his taller classmate (1.7 m) still happily play under the bed ( plenty of space to play else where but all kids love it there). It is perfect height for an adult to stand leaning on it and talk to a child or read (will I usually sit with him and fall asleep but yeah).
You mentioned your daughter isn't a tall pre teen so this height should be good for a long time.
Bed is cheap and it is treated wood.

#22 mayahlb

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:41 PM

We don’t have a loft bed but my kids have bunks. Just be aware that in summer it can be a totally pain. We had to remove the ceiling fan for safety in the kids room and DH had to work out a solution to hang a portable fan for something to cool him down at night (yes we have aircons but that in between time we NEED fans). The other kid has a pedestal fan. As hot air rises too. Also as mentioned sheets are a pain in the butt.

Edited by mayahlb, 09 September 2019 - 11:42 PM.

#23 Emm27

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:53 PM

View PostQuirkyMum, on 09 September 2019 - 10:09 PM, said:

OP, I like the idea of a loft bed but don't like really the height...
My son really wanted one and as a compromise, I got and assembled low bunk IKEA Kura bed. It looks flimsy but it is not. Looks like it is not tall enough to use space underneath but my 10 year old and his taller classmate (1.7 m) still happily play under the bed ( plenty of space to play else where but all kids love it there). It is perfect height for an adult to stand leaning on it and talk to a child or read (will I usually sit with him and fall asleep but yeah).
You mentioned your daughter isn't a tall pre teen so this height should be good for a long time.
Bed is cheap and it is treated wood.

We bought a Kura second hand for $40 for my then 8 year old. He’s a prolific sleepwalker and we didn’t want him up any higher - though he’s always climbed the ladder while sleepwalking without incident. He loved it and we also liked that it was a good height for reading/kissing goodnight etc. His dad climbs up there for reading books with him so it’s way sturdier than I originally thought. Just recently he’s mentioned not enjoying climbing up the ladder all the time so we are going to move it to his sister’s room at Christmas. $40 for 2.5 years was a great deal though!

#24 QuirkyMum

Posted 10 September 2019 - 12:00 AM

View PostEmm27, on 09 September 2019 - 11:53 PM, said:

We bought a Kura second hand for $40 for my then 8 year old. He’s a prolific sleepwalker and we didn’t want him up any higher - though he’s always climbed the ladder while sleepwalking without incident. He loved it and we also liked that it was a good height for reading/kissing goodnight etc. His dad climbs up there for reading books with him so it’s way sturdier than I originally thought. Just recently he’s mentioned not enjoying climbing up the ladder all the time so we are going to move it to his sister’s room at Christmas. $40 for 2.5 years was a great deal though!
Do you have trofast steps?
If not, Google "ikea Kura step hack".
Trofast steps are awesome ( I like sitting on them!), maybe he will like climbing them:)

#25 livingos

Posted 10 September 2019 - 06:36 AM

DS 11 has one. He changes his own fittedsheet. Then he sleeps with a doona in a cover most of the year or just the cover.  
He wants to move back to a normal bed but I won't do it until his head hits the roof. He gains so much space from the loft bed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.