Sleep in - when do you go check?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:28 AM

21mo DS slept in this morning, 2 hours later than he usually sleeps to, and an hour later than yesterday’s sleep in (DH and DD away so no one making noise in the morning to wake him up). I actually got worried and went in to check on him and he woke up then. We’ve got a video monitor and I couldn’t see him moving around (you know, like when he’s asleep). He’s all happy and fine this morning.

But I’m wondering how long others leave babies/kids to sleep in before you get worried?

#2 WaitForMe

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:39 AM

How long until I got worried? Oh, I dunno, about 30mins after they'd normally wake lol!

I used to resist and resist checking as long as possible. At 2 hours I think I would've also found it impossible not to check too!

My second child it wasn't such an issue as I often had to wake her in order to drop off or pick up DD1. She can't have a nap beyond 3pm and she can't sleep in in the morning beyond about 8am. Earlier on days I work.

#3 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

I’m in there, my face pressed up against theirs, if they go even 10 minutes over. DD 10YO went to sleep at 5pm one day and honestly I probably woke up every hour to check on her; next day she was completely normal and I was exhausted. It’s very worrying for us but sometimes they just need extra sleep!

#4 Jenflea

Posted 08 September 2019 - 11:46 AM

I check after an hour later than normal.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:10 PM

If you’re awake, why not check?

#6 Kallie88

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:11 PM

Me and 1 kid, I'd probably still be sleeping myself, so whenever I woke up. An hour or two usually

#7 Mooples

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:16 PM

Ds1 I wouldn’t realise as I’d be asleep but if I rolled over and looked to see it was 8am and he’d slept for 2 hours longer than normal I’d be in a panic, jump out of bed and check straight away. Anything over an hour I’d probably pop in to check.

Ds2 has movement sensors on the monitor so as long as that was still ticking away I’d leave him until he woke.

#8 sunnies

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:19 PM

I would like to say half an hour, but I’m not really sure as I have never experienced this. No-one has ever slept late in my house. Ever.

#9 Lifesgood

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:59 PM

First baby - every 5-10 mins
Second baby - used to forget he was there until I had to go out somewhere.

#10 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:05 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 08 September 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

If you’re awake, why not check?

Lying in bed felt very luxurious! Not so long ago he was sleeping so badly I was desperate for sleep, so 13.5 hours of DS sleeping without a peep is amazing. Plus I know that he’ll wake up as soon as people start making noise, so he’ll wake up if I check.

#11 daisy007

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:09 PM

About 10 mins after they usually wake up. It’s so unusual for mine to sleep in it doesn’t take much to get me worried.

#12 Coffeegirl

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:13 PM

It’s 1:15pm and DS just got up.   We’ve been away over night and have been home for an hour.    

Didn’t even think of checking on him.

But he is 15 and could sleep for an Olympic sport.  :rofl:

His older sister was home with him overnight, but had left already to go to work.  He wasn’t alone overnight.

#13 annodam

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:22 PM

I don't think I've ever checked, tbh.
I had those old fashioned 1-channel monitors with just sound.
When we remembered, we'd turn it on sometimes we'd forget.

#14 Riotproof

Posted 08 September 2019 - 01:32 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 08 September 2019 - 01:05 PM, said:

Lying in bed felt very luxurious! Not so long ago he was sleeping so badly I was desperate for sleep, so 13.5 hours of DS sleeping without a peep is amazing. Plus I know that he’ll wake up as soon as people start making noise, so he’ll wake up if I check.

In that case, I honestly wouldn’t check until he made noise. Obviously not ridiculous amounts of time.

But I hate to say it, if something had happened you wouldn’t have been able to do anything anyway. Given you could see he looked fine in the monitor I mean.

#15 eigne

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:01 PM

I probably check half an hour later than usual. I look in the monitor when I get up anyway, and I turn the volume right up so I can hear her breathing.

#16 PandoBox

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:23 PM

Your 21 month old sleeps in? :omg:
Where can I get one of those :p

#17 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostPandoBox, on 27 September 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Your 21 month old sleeps in? :omg:
Where can I get one of those :p

No longer, he’s back to waking up at 6am. He must have been having a growth spurt or developmental leap or something.

#18 #notallcats

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:49 PM

6am is tough, sorry OP.

Edited by #notallcats, 27 September 2019 - 11:01 PM.

#19 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 27 September 2019 - 11:03 PM

View Post#notallcats, on 27 September 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

6am is tough, sorry OP.

His big sister frequently started the day at 5am, 6 is not too bad. It usually means we aren’t running late for school ;)

#20 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 30 September 2019 - 04:56 PM

Really depends on their age.  21 months I would be checking pretty frequently. My older kids I wouldn't be so fussed over.

#21 WaitForMe

Posted 30 September 2019 - 05:52 PM

View Post22Fruitmincepies, on 27 September 2019 - 11:03 PM, said:

His big sister frequently started the day at 5am, 6 is not too bad. It usually means we aren’t running late for school Posted Image

Heheh yeah I always look at the families turning up after the bell has gone, as I'm walking back home, thinking how is that even possible???

Not in a judgemental way, before someone has a go at me, its just so incredibly far from my reality!

#22 Greatmum

Posted 30 September 2019 - 09:22 PM

Our friends kids woke at 6am and they were still late for school every day.

#23 Lou-bags

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 30 September 2019 - 05:52 PM, said:

Heheh yeah I always look at the families turning up after the bell has gone, as I'm walking back home, thinking how is that even possible???

Not in a judgemental way, before someone has a go at me, its just so incredibly far from my reality!

LOL.
My eldest is up about 2.5 hours before school starts, yet there are still times when we’re rushing to make it to school before the bell (and actually even then I just swap the drop offs around and do daycare second so DS1 is never late).

I spent most of my adult life to date as a late person- am only recently ‘reformed’ and the amount of time available to get ready was never a contributing factor to me being late.

#24 Pocket...

Posted 01 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

So what you need to do is practice opening the door so that you're silent when you check and don't wake them up. DS's door I needed to push lightly on the door with one hand and pull lightly with the hand that was on the door handle, so that there was no jiggling and no click sounds. Dd's door needed to be pulled hard then turn the handle, but not all the way as it had a sticky point on it that would click when you let go of it so I had to stop turning before I got to that point.

*they both sleep well now, I promise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.