How much to spend for other kids birthday presents

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Drat

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:18 AM

How much do you spend on birthday presents for other kids?

Do you spend a set amount (like $20) or does it depend on certain things?

Like:

- friendship level (if they are close friends vs acquaintances)
- location of the party (home vs venue)
- age of kid (do you spend more if they are primary vs toddler)
- how much the parents spent on your kid for their birthday

Or any other reasoning?

We had a conversation about this with friends recently and some surprising opinions came up, so i'm curious to what everyone else does.

#2 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:22 AM

general rule of thumb around $40 - $50.

#3 Sentient Puddle

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

$30 -50, besties will spend a bit more.

#4 JK4

For us it depends on closeness of friend/age. I spend less during the early years/whole class parties $20-30 (preferably something in this range on sale) and $30-$50 in high school as there are few parties (and this seems to be the going rate between the kids - gift vouchers are standard).
ETA - Location of Party doesn’t change the value of the gift for class parties but a one on one expensive activity for high schoolers would mean I spend more as a combination of best friends & what they are doing.

Edited by JK4, 08 September 2019 - 07:33 AM.

#5 Hands Up

I spend $20-25 but often value is more as they are on sale. If both kids are invited I spend more.

Kids are 4 and 5.

Edited by Hands Up, 08 September 2019 - 07:31 AM.

#6 Mooples

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:34 AM

It depends on the kid for me. We have some friends’ kids we spend $10-$20 on and others we spend $100. My kids are little so we haven’t had any kinder/school parties yet but I’ll probably spend $20ish on those.

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:36 AM

We spend $15-30 depending on friendship and what’s on sale etc. I can see us spending a little more as the kids get older and there are fewer “everyone’s invited” parties. Location and reciprocity don’t impact it for me.

#8 countrychic29

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

We are at the prep and kinder stage so for whole class parties we generally spend $15-20 including cards/wrapping etc
Class besties around $30
Close friends children around $50

I buy a variety of small presents when on sale so my girls can pick from the present pile for their friends

#9 eachschoolholidays

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:45 AM

I normally stock up when Smiggle, Lego etc have a big sale. I spend about $20 but RRP would be $30 or so

#10 BornToLove

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:50 AM

We have a range as well, usually $20 - $40.

We tend to spend less when DD isn’t close to the birthday child. However, party location/venue, age of kid, and value of what they spent on a gift for DD are not factors.

#11 Orangecake

Posted 08 September 2019 - 07:56 AM

Our 4 year old has been going to daycare class parties every week or two, it gets expensive and often I'm not sure of the kids interests. I've been trying to stick to $15 presents, buying gifts on sale.

For our grade 2 kid, the parties seem to have slowed down and less kids invited. I would spend around $25 on a gift but once again I try to buy on sale , so it's more likely $30-35 of value. We recently went to a party where one child gave a $50 note in a card and I was surprised by the amount.

Edited by Orangecake, 08 September 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#12 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:01 AM

$20.

#13 gracie1978

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:14 AM

$20-30 and try to get items on sale.
I also try to get consumable items or small things like Lego.

Would never buy a big soft toy.  Someone recently bought one for DS and it's very presence annoys me, will donate it with the tags still on.  He hasn't touched it once.

He recently had a fiver party and it was great not to have an extra heap of crap in the house.  He then got stuff he really wanted.  

As he and his friends get older I'd be happy to put $20 in a card.

I'd like to be more generous but we get invited to so many, that it becomes a significant expense.

#14 gracie1978

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

View PostOrangecake, on 08 September 2019 - 07:56 AM, said:

Our 4 year old has been going to daycare class parties every week or two, it gets expensive and often I'm not sure of the kids interests. I've been trying to stick to $15 presents, buying gifts on sale.

For our grade 2 kid, the parties seem to have slowed down and less kids invited. I would spend around $25 on a gift but once again I try to buy on sale , so it's more likely $30-35 of value. We recently went to a party where one child gave a $50 note in a card and I was surprised by the amount.

Someone from daycare gave my 4yo $50 last year.
I may have pocketed it...

#15 Aughra

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:20 AM

I spend $20 for all parties.  

What do people think of gifts, cash or vouchers for primary school parties? I usually do a small gift or money in a card.

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:25 AM

I think a little bit of cash in a card is fun. I actually love the idea of a fiver party but I haven’t had the guts to do it. My preppie has been saving up her pocket money for one of those Garmin Kids watches and she’d love a bit of cash to boost her over the line. At that age presents are still exciting though and I wouldn’t want it to be all cash. My ideal would be craft supplies or something little/low value and $5.

#17 barrington

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

$20 for primary school for whole class invite / all girls invite etc, $30 for closest friends, more for BFF.  

$30 for high school for friendship group, $50 for the closest friends.

#18 ekbaby

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

$20 (sometimes less if things on sale)
Kids range from 4-11 years old
$50 for one present blows my mind !
We have high SES friends but even they don’t spend that much
Sometimes for the older kids and small parties of good friends, all the kids will go in together for one big present
Eg $20 each for something worth $100 like a Garmin watch
Have given gift cards before for the oldests friends  (rebel, Eb games, iTunes, even Kmart). $20 value.

#19 Drat

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:59 AM

Another question

When you are counting value of presents, do you go on how much you spent or how much the present was worth.
(this was another point that two friends argued on lol)

For instance, I spent about $30 on a friends kids birthday presents, but the total value was actually around $100 as I got both items really reduced.

#20 amdirel

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:25 AM

I spent about $15 preschool
$20 primary school
$30 high school

Cash/vouchers is my preference because it's easy!! Also as kids get older they love that grown up feeling of going shopping for whatever they want, so my kids prefer to receive cash too.

Drat- no one knows how much you paid; if you're a bargain shopper, then I'd count that as a win for you and just give what the RRP value is.

#21 Clementinerose

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:39 AM

$15-$30 depending on age and friendship level. I take the kids to the shop and let them choose the gift for their friend. They love doing it

#22 EPZ

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:09 AM

We usually spend $30 - Under 13 age group.

#23 EmmDasher

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

View PostDrat, on 08 September 2019 - 08:59 AM, said:

Another question

When you are counting value of presents, do you go on how much you spent or how much the present was worth.
(this was another point that two friends argued on lol)

For instance, I spent about $30 on a friends kids birthday presents, but the total value was actually around $100 as I got both items really reduced.

Always RRP. As PP said, no one knows what you spent. A gift with an RRP of $100 would make me incredibly uncomfortable unless it was from a very close family member.

#24 rosie28

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:20 AM

RRP of $30-$40 usually, though I buy some on sale. I have one nephew and one niece so enjoy spoiling them and spend up to $200 on their birthdays. If I’m making something handmade (I’m a knitter and parents often request certain things) then they’ll get the handmade item and a small extra present.

#25 Ellie bean

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:29 AM

Around $20 RRP for birthday parties of friends of our 6 and 7yo, I do buy stuff on sale and keep it in the cupboard to avoid having to shop every time. We spend more on nieces and nephews

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.