AFL Finals

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#51 born.a.girl

Posted 14 September 2019 - 05:36 PM

I gather most of us will be cheering for Brisbane tonight?

Much as I loathe booing of any kind normally, wouldn't be bothered by Lions fans booing Greene. The fact that he can be playing after what he did last week astounds me. What astounds me even more is that the AFL themselves only asked for a fine.

#52 10YearsLater

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:53 PM

I can’t believe Greene didn’t even get a week. He’s such a grub.

I hope the Lions win, for that reason alone. I’ve never been much of a Brisbane fan even though I’ve lived in QLD longer than any other state but this year I’ve started to take notice. They’re building. They’re in a new era (similar to WC when Simmo took over). I hope they beat GWS tonight but they definitely need to learn how to kick more goals and less points if they’re going to make it on the big stage.

#53 10YearsLater

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

Edit: I hope Cameron can get through the match. Arm looks sore

Edited by ~9YearsLater, 14 September 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#54 10YearsLater

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:23 PM

Exciting game!

#55 annodam

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

The reason Greene is even playing is because the AwFuL want GWS to win a flag.  Ala Barry Hall the thug was given the green light for SYD to win.
Once GWS get that flag, the AwFuL will drop them like a hot potato like they did with BNE.

It's a rigged competition, always was, always will be!

EFS:

Edited by annodam, 14 September 2019 - 09:25 PM.

#56 dadwasathome

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

And with the booing as usual. I pity the team because the fans have no idea about sportsmanship. What a great close game.

#57 10YearsLater

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:12 PM

Yeah the booing sh*ts me. Amazing bloody game though. So tense!

#58 annodam

Posted 14 September 2019 - 10:24 PM

They're booing because that last GWS goal resulted from a blatant throw!

I have no interest in who won this evenings match.
Both BNE & GWS are battered & bruised after tonight, just perfect, the only downside it should've been a draw & gone into OT.

Oh & watch Greene get off again for his eye-face gouging.

#59 But seriously

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postannodam, on 14 September 2019 - 10:24 PM, said:

They're booing because that last GWS goal resulted from a blatant throw!

I have no interest in who won this evenings match.
Both BNE & GWS are battered & bruised after tonight, just perfect, the only downside it should've been a draw & gone into OT.

Oh & watch Greene get off again for his eye-face gouging.

At this stage he's been given a one week ban

#60 Jo.F

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

View PostJo.F, on 13 September 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

As a long time Richmond supporter I also hate Collingwood, moreso because they knocked us out in the Prelim last year so I want them gone. I'm tipping West Coast to beat Geelong and I think the Giants might get over Brisbane.

Then Richmond will beat West Coast, Giants will beat Collingwood

Then Richmond will beat Giants and win the premiership :grin:

#wishfulthinkinglol

ok, so I got the first match wrong but I stand by the rest of my tips.

Hopefully with Hawkins out Tigers have a better chance of beating Geelong because they were pretty convincing against WC.

I'm glad to see Greene is finally missing a game. He's such a dirty player. But I still want the Giants to beat Collingwood then Giants v Richmond grand final.

#61 born.a.girl

Posted 16 September 2019 - 03:47 PM

View PostJo.F, on 16 September 2019 - 03:38 PM, said:

ok, so I got the first match wrong but I stand by the rest of my tips.

Hopefully with Hawkins out Tigers have a better chance of beating Geelong because they were pretty convincing against WC.

I'm glad to see Greene is finally missing a game. He's such a dirty player. But I still want the Giants to beat Collingwood then Giants v Richmond grand final.

Bet he gets off at the tribunal.  If you look at the footage, what he does is nowhere near as bad as what he did last weekend to Bontempelli.   There's some vague footage that shows his hand near Neale's face, but the football's also still under Neale's head at that stage.

Most importantly, for the charge to stick, I believe Neale has to come out and implicate him.   Players usually support each other unless it's serious.

#62 Jo.F

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 16 September 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

Bet he gets off at the tribunal.  If you look at the footage, what he does is nowhere near as bad as what he did last weekend to Bontempelli.   There's some vague footage that shows his hand near Neale's face, but the football's also still under Neale's head at that stage.

Most importantly, for the charge to stick, I believe Neale has to come out and implicate him.   Players usually support each other unless it's serious.

I saw on the news last night that Neale said he only felt pressure around his nose area, not his eyes so he may well get off.

#63 annodam

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:54 PM

Of course he'll get off!
100 buck bet if it was a COLL player he would've got 2 weeks!
Funny since the 70s it's only been COLL players to miss a GF yet others who have been suspended have miraculously got off & played - rigged fkn c*nts!

The AwFuL want GWS to win a flag.
Sooner rather than later for them, they need fans to get on board in NRL deep territory.

Got us our PF tickets yesterday in the MCC, so I'm happy (for now) & will remain happy until Greene the thug doesn't play this Saturday arvo.
Either way, we'll slaughter him 80,000+ rabid COLL fans against 1,000 rent-a-crowds...
Grundy's gonna have a field day!
The march will be on from 3:00pm so any GWS fan better watch out!

BRING IT ON!

#64 born.a.girl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:55 PM

View PostJo.F, on 17 September 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

I saw on the news last night that Neale said he only felt pressure around his nose area, not his eyes so he may well get off.

i didn't see that, thanks.

He probably should get off.

What he shouldn't have got off, is taking two fistfulls of Bomtempelli's hair and shoving his head into the ground a couple of times.   How that's not intentional, high contact, with low impact is beyond me.   They're supposed to consider the ramifications of the behaviour as well as what actually happened.  I suspect Michael Christian regrets not just suspending him for the worst one.

#65 Jo.F

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:27 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 September 2019 - 12:55 PM, said:

i didn't see that, thanks.

He probably should get off.

What he shouldn't have got off, is taking two fistfulls of Bomtempelli's hair and shoving his head into the ground a couple of times.   How that's not intentional, high contact, with low impact is beyond me.   They're supposed to consider the ramifications of the behaviour as well as what actually happened.  I suspect Michael Christian regrets not just suspending him for the worst one.

I always thought that you could only get fined so many times before the next infringement was an automatic suspension. I remember when Richmond won the premiership, Cotchin had been reported for rough play and they were saying that he'd already had 3 fines and that any subsequent offence would be a one week ban, but then he got another fine so maybe that's not the case?

The way he roughed up Bomtompelli was ridiculous and I think everyone's surprised he got off. And I think you're right, they would have to be regretting letting him off lightly last time but if they give him a week now it'll look like they're trying to make up for it.

#66 born.a.girl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:31 PM

View PostJo.F, on 17 September 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

I always thought that you could only get fined so many times before the next infringement was an automatic suspension. I remember when Richmond won the premiership, Cotchin had been reported for rough play and they were saying that he'd already had 3 fines and that any subsequent offence would be a one week ban, but then he got another fine so maybe that's not the case?

The way he roughed up Bomtompelli was ridiculous and I think everyone's surprised he got off. And I think you're right, they would have to be regretting letting him off lightly last time but if they give him a week now it'll look like they're trying to make up for it.

Well he's banned, I wasn't expecting that.

The rules changed but I lose track.   I remember a lot of angst about Cotchin being able to play. The old 'AFL doesn't like top players out of the finals'.

It does look like they're trying to make up for it. Especially after him getting of for the appalling behaviour last week, then upholding Hawkins suspension. They say it's all seen in isolation, but what are the chances they were saying to each other 'what is the likelihood of someone like Toby Greene actually doing this?'.

There must be grey areas where the person's nature is taken into account.

#67 Jo.F

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 17 September 2019 - 07:31 PM, said:

Well he's banned, I wasn't expecting that.

The rules changed but I lose track.   I remember a lot of angst about Cotchin being able to play. The old 'AFL doesn't like top players out of the finals'.

It does look like they're trying to make up for it. Especially after him getting of for the appalling behaviour last week, then upholding Hawkins suspension. They say it's all seen in isolation, but what are the chances they were saying to each other 'what is the likelihood of someone like Toby Greene actually doing this?'.

There must be grey areas where the person's nature is taken into account.

well there you go!

Yeah I remember the angst about Cotchin. There's been so many occasions over the years where the big stars have got off. To be honest I'm surprised Hawkins didn't manage to get out of it as he's got a clean rep, even though it was an off the ball incident and a pretty clear hit, people have got off for similar things.

I do think they consider the players nature and past discrepancies. Your bit in bold sums it up perfectly. You can see them sitting around discussing it going "nup, we have to give him a game this time..."

I'm hanging out for the games this weekend. Will be interesting to see how much Hawkins being out weakens Geelong :D

#68 born.a.girl

Posted 17 September 2019 - 07:53 PM

I think Mitch Duncan is a bigger loss, plus Clark is definitely out (he's been amazing this year) and possibly Rohan. That's four who'd definitely start each week, so that's a lot.

I know you're without Rance, but look at how long it took Richmond to regroup around the gap?

Geelong will have to experiment, which doesn't always end well!

#69 Jo.F

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:57 PM

yeah true. They haven't written Duncan off for the finals yet but I wonder if they'll give Duncan and Rohan one more week and hope that they make the GF. Or do they risk putting them in and possibly not have a full strength side? Hawkins is just such a focal point down forward but I'm assuming they'll have it covered. Just depends on how well the team can adjust to the changes. I dunno. I like to think I have an idea about this stuff but in reality I get it wrong all the time lol.

I thought our season was gone without Rance but Grimes has been an absolute star this season.

#70 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:18 AM

Scott again ruled a line through reliable midfielder Mitch Duncan for this week, but stopped short of putting an end to his season.
“Mitch Duncan was the other one that didn’t play last week, he’ll be unavailable but we’re optimistic if we’re good enough there’s some possibility there for the following week,” Scott said.

Duncan's definitely out for this week, and it sounds like wishful thinking that he might be available on the offchance we make it through.  It's one thing risking further injury in a GF I guess.

Whatever happens to Richmond now, they deserve enormous credit for regrouping and charging ahead without various injured players, then just getting stronger as each one returned.  I think sometimes if you have a player like that, that players automatically try to get the ball to them, and in the absence of that, find that they can actually still play good football without them, but it does take time, which Geelong doesn't have. Two big names out is a big ask - unfortunately one is self-inflicted, Richmond's luck.

I see GWS are appealing Greene's upheld suspension.

#71 annodam

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:39 AM

Just look for the AwFuL to be lenient against Greene especially now Whitfield will be missing due to appendicitis.

#72 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 10:55 AM

View Postannodam, on 18 September 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

Just look for the AwFuL to be lenient against Greene especially now Whitfield will be missing due to appendicitis.

Greene doesn't deserve to be suspended for what happened last weekend.

He should have been off for a couple of weeks for what happened the week before.

Brisbane may well have won without him.

Any other time, any other player, they'd not be suspended for last week.

It's the week before that makes the charge being upheld seem fair.

ETA: if the AFL wanted to be lenient, he'd have got off already. They were unusually severe in not letting him off this week.

Edited by born.a.girl, 18 September 2019 - 10:56 AM.

#73 annodam

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:30 AM

You obviously haven't seen the link that's going around on Twitter then?

Greene is a dirty ass grub, he's the result of the on-field rule change last year.  He used to raise his leg in a way that exposed his stops, that sole purpose was to cause an injury to an opponent.
He has a reputation of being a dirty player & has therefore become one of the few selected individuals to have a rule modified as a result of his on-field acts.
Now he's added eye-gouging to his resume, the maggot!

#74 born.a.girl

Posted 18 September 2019 - 11:34 AM

View Postannodam, on 18 September 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

You obviously haven't seen the link that's going around on Twitter then?

Greene is a dirty ass grub, he's the result of the on-field rule change last year.  He used to raise his leg in a way that exposed his stops, that sole purpose was to cause an injury to an opponent.
He has a reputation of being a dirty player & has therefore become one of the few selected individuals to have a rule modified as a result of his on-field acts.
Now he's added eye-gouging to his resume, the maggot!

I obviously know as much as you do.

Everything that you've said her, bears no relevance to the incident from last weekend.   If it requires a rule change, so be it.  Otherwise, it's not suspension worthy.

The previous week's, was, and a couple of weeks at that.

I'd like him suspended because he's a slug too, but rules is rules and they will be adjudicated that way.  Nothing that you've said alters that, it's all just hyperbole and and reputation.

Shame we can't use that in judgements, Pell would have gone down for 100 years.

#75 Mumsyto2

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:15 PM

View Postannodam, on 17 September 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

The AwFuL want GWS to win a flag.
Sooner rather than later for them, they need fans to get on board in NRL deep territory.

Dear Eddie, you are never getting your VFL back. You need to accept this mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.