Silent heat.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kadoodle

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:44 AM

How common is this? A girlfriend of mine swears her dogette got pregnant via one, but I alway thought that they were an urban myth.

#2 *Spikey*

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:57 PM

A silent heat is one where the human is oblivious to the signs that the b**ch is in heat. Humans can be pretty good at ignoring some things, especially when denial is oh, so good....

It's not that silent - there is still discharge and swelling, its just the dog has cleaned herself up so that the blood isn't so obvious (ie, no cleaning up after the dog). And if you don't know what the girl looks like when not in heat, you aren't going to be able to tell if it is "swollen" or not. It's not like they inflate hugely, its a swelling, not 100 x inflation.

I do know of a very experienced cat breeder who missed the signs of her queen being back in heat (the stud male, however, did not, lol) and got a big surprise when she produced a litter of 6 kittens. But she didn't think it was a silent one, just overlooked by the humans who weren't expecting it so soon after the first litter.

#3 kadoodle

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:27 PM

Thanks, Spikey; I suspected that it might have been something like that.

Unfortunately, my girls all had heats like teenaged girls and spread blood everywhere. No one will desex before the first heat these days.

#4 Leslie Knope

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:37 PM

I had never heard of this. You learn something new every day!

#5 Jenflea

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:12 PM

I've only ever had one cat who went on heat (twice in 3 weeks!). I was looking after her for a friend of DH's  who never desexed her in the 12 months he'd had her(long story short, I kept her and desexed her and had her another 17 years) and there was NO WAY you could miss that she was on heat!

#6 kadoodle

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:37 PM

I can’t imagine wanting to own an entire cat. The girls howl and the boys roam and hump, and they both spray.

#7 Jenflea

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:43 PM

With this guy it was sheer laziness.

Even though at the time, the RSPCA gave them a voucher for free desexing. They just never did it.
Poor cat was in a strange house and constantly on heat, 4 cats next door roaming around didn't help either.

#8 *Spikey*

Posted 08 September 2019 - 08:33 AM

My girls have all been quite light bleeders (and across two breeds), well, the ones we had before desexing. But there was a lot of licking, and when you're grooming them, you notice some difference. I suspect if the dog spent a lot of time outdoors, you didn't regularly groom the rear end, and they were fastidious about being clean (the dog), it would be quite easy for an otherwise distracted human to miss the signs.

Apparently the cat didn't do a lot of yowling or show other behaviours that indicate a possible heat. She did have kittens she was still feeding, so they were not expecting it - and then missed the other stuff, lol.

My girl "shared" kittens with her, she only had three (that was the planned mating) and often fed the other girl's kittens. Often in the basket together - two mummies, 9 kitties. Oh so cute.

#9 kadoodle

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

That’s so cute; they’re little commune kitties!

My friend’s dog is a moonmoon (can’t remember what their proper name is) , so inside/outside; rather than an outside working dog.

#10 *Spikey*

Posted 08 September 2019 - 09:38 AM

Husky? Malamute?

Or just Derpy?

#11 annodam

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:14 AM

My Basenji girl years ago (she was 9 maybe?) went though one, her stupid Breeder thought she had Pyo & medicated her to the eyeballs.
In any event, she ended up having 2 pups, 1 male (normal) & 1 female (severe deformation, she was put down at birth).
Around 5yrs later, she ended up dying from mammary cancer.

All this because he refused to desex her.

ETA:  Probably like Spikey said, us humans may have missed the signs as Basenjis are really fastidious & groom themselves like cats.  But the boys knew!

Edited by annodam, 08 September 2019 - 10:18 AM.

#12 kadoodle

Posted 08 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

View Post*Spikey*, on 08 September 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

Husky? Malamute?

Or just Derpy?

Definitely derpy (but she’s still a puppy, so they all are), and I think she’s a husky. I’m trying to convince her to go with the abortion spey, but my friend is on the fence about it.

#13 *Spikey*

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:04 PM

Log on to one of the pound pages and show her the gazillion of husky and husky crosses available, and ask her if this is her long term plan.

I love huskies. But they are not for everyone.

#14 (feral)epg

Posted 08 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

View Postkadoodle, on 07 September 2019 - 06:27 PM, said:

No one will desex before the first heat these days.

Huh?  What?  Standard practise is to desex (females) at around 6 months because there is a proven medical benefit to doing so.  It almost eliminates the risk of mammary cancers.

I see plenty of puppies who come from the breeders already desexed at rehoming / sale at 8-10 weeks age (which I don't particularly support).

#15 kadoodle

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:02 PM

Huskies are so pretty, but there’s no way that I could deal with that coat.

I’ve never had a problem with getting cats desexed at 6 to 8 weeks, but in my (very limited) experience with puppies; no vet will do anything before 6months or first heat. I’m told it affects growth and continence, although I’m not sure why this applies to dogs but not cats.

#16 casime

Posted 14 September 2019 - 09:47 AM

My girls are extremely clean, but I usually give them all at least a quick brush everyday on the grooming table, so always have a quick check.  If I don't pick it up, the boys will quickly let me know by their change in behaviour.    

I recommend puppy buyers wait until about three months after the first heat to desex.  I find that those that have been desexed early are smaller than those that are desexed later, quite fine boned, different head shapes (more snipey), and they never get their full adult coats, keeping a much shorter and finer coat which has very little undercoat.

#17 kadoodle

Posted 14 September 2019 - 03:29 PM

That’s really interesting, thanks Casime.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.