Do you shop online - Wish?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Etta

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:55 AM

I am procrastinating on writing an essay so I googled warm winter boots. I have found an amazing looking pair on Wish - $291 down to $43.

Now I never buy shoes online but I thought that at that price I can pass them on to someone else if they don't fit me. But Wish has about 1.5 stars when I look at the reviews. The online store within Wish that has these boots has 4 stars.

What do you think - get back to my essay or go shopping? Even as I am writing this I am answering my question - I will get what I pay for.

#2 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:03 AM

You know what they say about Wish, the pictures show what you Wish for...
I watch a few You Tubers who do hauls off Wish, and yes, with the lucky dip of " will they even be sent", the quality is hit is miss and also sizing. It tends to run small ( even though they use European sizing, one girl found every single pair was one size too small).
I buy stuff of Aliexpress, but never clothing or shoes.

#3 Rainyeyes

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:22 AM

I haven't but know someone who bought a few things most thing were cheap and nasty broke quickly etc

I have seen ad's for it and I would never believe the before price some of the prices they list as the before are ridiculous

#4 JustBeige

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

Yep, wish is Ebays cheap and nasty cousin.  DS has bought a few things off it. nothing too exxy.

Actually the last thing he bought was a 'brick' portable charger. Cost him around $30 but it is awesome and he is really happy with it.

I read something recently (might have been a link off facebook) about a Vlogger who got some wedding dresses recently.  2 were rubbish and 2 were closer to the picture but the quality was $2 shop quality.   Mind you, she paid under $40 for each of them, so you get what you pay for in that instance.

Can you afford to throw away $43? + postage?

#5 overlytired

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:29 AM

"I wish these boots fit."

#6 Froyo

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

View PostJustBeige, on 07 September 2019 - 09:29 AM, said:

Yep, wish is Ebays cheap and nasty cousin.  DS has bought a few things off it. nothing too exxy.

Actually the last thing he bought was a 'brick' portable charger. Cost him around $30 but it is awesome and he is really happy with it.

I read something recently (might have been a link off facebook) about a Vlogger who got some wedding dresses recently.  2 were rubbish and 2 were closer to the picture but the quality was $2 shop quality.   Mind you, she paid under $40 for each of them, so you get what you pay for in that instance.

Can you afford to throw away $43? + postage?
Safiya Nygaard? She's done a few videos on Wish purchases. Yep, they're mostly utter rubbish.

#7 Ellie bean

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:53 AM

Styletread has a sale on amd they are really reliable, free returns
I would not buy from wish

#8 RocktonResident

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:02 AM

I haven't bought from there, XH does though as presents for the kids. Honestly, I'd save my money.

We have a quilt cover with sticking on the outside, rather than the inside, that isn't square.
We have a multiple t-shirts that are warped in shape, and I don't know if it's XH or Wish fault but not even remotely the right size fir the child.
Jewellry that turns skin green and breaks on the first wear.

I wouldn't even bother.

#9 littlepickle

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:42 AM

I have purchased a moderate amount on wish with mostly great experiences. Be prepared that the wait to receive the item is usually 6-9 weeks : only once something didn’t arrive and I got a refund. I purchased the following;
Winter puffer jacket: XS. I struggle to find items small enough and this was perfect. Cost $50 and was brilliant around Europe.
Winter lined stockings: great for Europe and cheap
Winter boots (lined) men’s : $35 (waterproof). Brilliant for DS, held up during the 5 week trip and were super comfortable. We donated them in Berlin because we didn’t want to bring them all the way home.
Heaps of travel equipment.

I have had a poor experience with knit wear and general women’s clothing so wouldn’t purchase these items again. I would also steer clear of any ball gowns etc

#10 JustBeige

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:35 PM

View PostFroyo, on 07 September 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

Safiya Nygaard? She's done a few videos on Wish purchases. Yep, they're mostly utter rubbish.
nope :)  this one. https://honey.nine.c...bb-f8f037a2d884

#11 EmmDasher

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:43 PM

I wouldn’t purchase anything from Wish or any of those other cheap and nasty places that advertise on social media. As for $300 boots that are 85% off, if they say they’re a brand I’d bet my life savings they’re fake. If they don’t say a brand I call bs that they were ever $291.

Edited by EmmDasher, 07 September 2019 - 01:43 PM.

#12 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:48 PM

The comfiest boots I've ever owned are from wish for about 40
No issue with size or the fit, fast delivery for China
Just measure twice before you order to be sure, I do this with all shoes I buy online, even ones like globe sneakers

Attached File  15678279765485980618203589268386.jpg   74.88K   45 downloads

Eta, come to think of it I'm wearing a top from wish too now, I've bought about 7 and only 1 wasn't quite right but for $4 i aint complaining, the rest, perfect fit, nice material, image as shown on site. They the only place i can find prints and colours i like oddly, skulls, graveyards and such aint easy to come by cheap lol

Edited by *Nasty*Squeekums*, 07 September 2019 - 01:55 PM.

#13 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:51 PM

View PostEmmDasher, on 07 September 2019 - 01:43 PM, said:

I wouldn’t purchase anything from Wish or any of those other cheap and nasty places that advertise on social media. As for $300 boots that are 85% off, if they say they’re a brand I’d bet my life savings they’re fake. If they don’t say a brand I call bs that they were ever $291.

Fake yeah more than likely, meh don't care
Comfy and look pretty, definitely, score!!

#14 eponee

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

View PostFroyo, on 07 September 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

It was Tina Yong

Edited by eponee, 07 September 2019 - 01:56 PM.

#15 Lallalla

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:58 PM

With wish you have a 50/50 chance of something being what you expect I think.
PatPat have similar stuff and it’s more 80% chance what you expected but possibly not the size you ordered...

#16 EmmDasher

Posted 07 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

I don’t like fakes a) ripping off other peoples brands and products or b) paying inflated prices for no-name, poor quality products under the illusion of a discount. If it’s a good product they should be able to trade on their own merit and not need someone else’s coat tails. It’s great that you like what you got but I won’t buy something trading as a fake. Too often it leads to disappointment.

#17 *Nasty*Squeekums*

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:13 PM

EmmDasher, yeah I don't have the cash to shop with morals and get stuff that fits properly and I like

#18 EmmDasher

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:26 PM

I wasn’t suggesting you should Squeakums - it was more that if the OP thinks they’re a ‘bargain’ because they’re so heavily discounted, it’s most likely total bs. $43 is comparatively expensive if you end up with stock standard Kmart level or poorer quality boots especially if you’re paying that much because you think you’re getting a ‘brand’.

#19 Etta

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

Thank you to all of those you who told me what I knew but needed to be told. To the others who have had good buys thank you too but I think I will follow my gut on this one.

I also looked at snow boots online at shops where I can actually try them on and I will do this instead. I have such trouble finding shoes that fit properly I don't know why I was thinking I could get something online.

Anyway, I have stopped procrastinating and have nearly finished my essay. Thanks for indulging me!

#20 Oriental lily

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:49 PM

I have bought three items of SHEIN recently .

One dress is lovely .

One longline coat is nothing what I thought it was ( thought it was a knit when it’s a thin cotton type materiel ) still wearable though and got heaps of compliments when I wore it out .

3rd item was a waterfall cardigan that never showed up . Instead a random similar colour long sleeve knitted dress came instead .

So a very mixed bag . Literally lol .

I spent $80 for the three things including free postage and they came in two weeks .

It’s always a bit of an adventure buying of these sites .

Expect to be overjoyed or bitterly dissapointed there does not seem to be any in between !

#21 hills mum bec

Posted 07 September 2019 - 03:38 PM

I have bought quite a bit from wish but all very cheap stuff, never clothes or shoes.  You can filter the reviews of an individual product to only show those with a photo so I will usually use the photo reviews as a guide to what I am actually going to receive.  I would never buy anything without good reviews with photos.  Most of the stuff I buy is craft kits.  Their customer service is quite good.  Once when I didn’t receive an item they credited my account straight away.

#22 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 07 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

I buy from Wish - I researched it a little first and by following these steps I’ve never been unhappy with any of my purchases.  1. Only but from sites that state 100+ or more bought this.  2. Make sure that some of the reviews contain actual photos and read some of the reviews to get an idea of quality and how to adjust for correct sizing.

#23 laridae

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:50 PM

I've bought from Wish before but you can usually get the exact same thing on eBay or aliexpress for cheaper as Wish usually charges a lot more for postage. The quality and sizing can be hit and miss. I've got some stuff that I'm really happy with, and stuff I'm not.
I usually read the reviews on Aliexpress, especially the ones with pictures, so I can get a good idea of what the item really looks like, as the pictures shown are often of the item they are copying, not what you are getting.

I generally buy things like dance or gymnastics leotards, and ice skating outfits for the kids. They are cheap and I've been happy with the quality of them all. I do have to go up a few sizes though.

Edited by laridae, 07 September 2019 - 07:57 PM.

#24 Ayr

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:19 PM

I buy everything online but never bought from wish. I believe the reviews when most are bad. I have steered clear of that site.

#25 MessyJ

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

Yeah I've bought kids clothes or items which can't be cheapened too much (like craft accessories etc).

However on the Etsy forums the poor makers are always finding those stores like Aliexpress steal their actual photos and make a cheap version of the product (if it's something that can easily be copied) so I think what the girls above are saying about checking review photos is a very clever idea!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.