Terrible twos

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Caribou

Posted 06 September 2019 - 07:47 PM

Have a cold, DH stayed home to hang out with DS. DH had to take DD to a sporting event so I had DS for afternoon until bed.

Well I know he was happy with DH. Didn’t hear a peep of crying. However I come into picture? Full on screaming. Demanding I hold him. Refusing dinner he picked himself. Refusing to drink and refusing to sleep. It was like a switch was flicked.

I mean he’s always been a challenging 2yo, and more so in recent times, but tonight took the cake. It was horrible. I was crying by the end of if and DS was screaming at me to stop crying. I told him I’d stop if he ate his dinner but that ensued more screaming from him and demanding to be held.

It was exhausting. Especially since I get screamed by him on a daily basis. I’m terrified of feeding him now. Because whatever I get out, even if I give him two options results in screaming he doesn’t like it.

Whereas if DH gives him breakfast, no crying, no screaming. Pure silence. It’s like he reserves it for me.

I’m mentally broken. Is this a 2yo phase? My 7yo was milder and more reasonable than DS!

Edited by Caribou, 06 September 2019 - 07:47 PM.

#2 Daffy2016

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:04 PM

I really, really feel for you. DD is just two and is similar, although she sounds less intense than your DS, you poor thing.

DH is always asking what I’m doing wrong and why don’t I do it like him. I am, she just saves all the horrible for me! He doesn’t see it though.

#3 Blue Shoe

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:10 PM

I’m sorry OP. That sounds exhausting.
Not a good long term solution, but in the interests of getting through what is hopefully a phase, can you resort to bribery? What is his currency - will he eat dinner if he is allowed to watch x amount of TV afterwards, or get a star on a reward chart to earn a new toy etc? Anything that calms everything down, and then you can gradually reintroduce firmer/higher expectations?

#4 Caribou

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:24 PM

View PostBlue Shoe, on 06 September 2019 - 08:10 PM, said:

I’m sorry OP. That sounds exhausting.
Not a good long term solution, but in the interests of getting through what is hopefully a phase, can you resort to bribery? What is his currency - will he eat dinner if he is allowed to watch x amount of TV afterwards, or get a star on a reward chart to earn a new toy etc? Anything that calms everything down, and then you can gradually reintroduce firmer/higher expectations?

Oh yes. I’ve tried currency. So much I’ve bribed biscuits for dinner and once I tried those sparkle wands.

He does not respond to currency. I’m sure he hears the desperation and resignation in my voice. I know it’s coming. Like a freight train and I’m tied to the tracks. There’s no getting out of this.

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:29 PM

Sounds like DH needs to finish work early for a week or two to get dinner time back on track with DS. Personally I'd withdraw from it and leave them to it, then gradually reintroduce myself to DS's dinner routine. DH can do breakfast too. That leaves only one main mealtime for you to deal with during the week, and DH can do the weekend lunches too.

#6 Staying Strange

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:40 PM

My kids were a bit like this ... But I don't have a problem with them screaming - in that I font6get embarrassed or flustered by it etc. We have a screaming/wailing/noisy area, where I would calmly put the kids and where they can be as loud as they like. Then return to where the other kids were. The deal in this house -for boundary testing (not meltdown) yelling/screaming from the kids is done in the noisy space only. And if they come out they are to be quiet or go back if they still want to be noisy. Sometimes I have to sit in the doorway t stop them leaving....but it reduce d the screaming we got.

Good luck OP. Sounds exhausting

#7 Blue Shoe

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:41 PM

Wow. He sounds very full on. I know what it’s like to feel like you’ve tried everything. There’s only so many times you can pick yourself up to try yet again!!
I’m guessing if you went for the natural consequence of letting him go to bed hungry (after refusing food), it would backfire as he would wake up (more) overnight?
Otherwise, does he like going out for walks? Could you put him in the stroller with some finger food breakfast/lunch/dinner in a bowl and he might be distracted enough by things around him that he eats without a fuss as you’re walking? I find often just getting them out of the house can help a lot, even if it’s just for a walk around the block.
Otherwise, if he wants you to hold him - what happens if you do? (Even though you would probably rather throw him out the window because he’s driving you crazy!!) If you treat him a bit like a needy newborn that just wants to cluster feed non stop - accept it as a “this too shall pass” phase, grit your teeth and give him what he wants until that neediness in him is met and his behaviour normalises a bit again? Even if it means ignoring housework etc because you’re stuck holding him for long periods?

#8 Silver Girl

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:52 PM

I feel for you, OP. Having an unsettled, Velcro toddler nearly killed me.

#9 Drat

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:57 PM

I have noticed that my daughter plays up massively for my husband at dinner because he is often a push over, and he will let her muck around and sit on his lap or play with toys etc.

She doesn't try it with me because she knows I won't put up with it. It doesn't mean that she will eat her dinner (as most nights she doesn't) but she knows that she sits at the table with us, and isn't silly. I make dinner, she decides how much to eat (I don't make other meals). So if she doesn't eat then she goes hungry.

He's now realising this, and is starting to be a bit more firm with her at dinner.

It might not be the case for you, but is there something that you are doing differently to your husband?

Btw, hang in there. You are obviously his safe person, and he can let out frustrations/upset/anger out on you. It's awful, but he obviously knows that you love him unconditionally. 2 year olds are hard! Hang in there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.