Modern cloth nappies

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chloe_belle

Posted 26 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

We have been using modern cloth nappies on our newborn, however we are finding they are starting to leak almost every time they are on. They were fine initially.

They are a one size fits most style, brand is hippybottoms. They seem pretty generic just like every other MCN.

Baby is 5 weeks this week and weighs approx 5kg so I don't think the issue is that he is too small. We are buttoning them up quite tight on his waist and legs. The liquid seems to be coming through to his back.

Any advice on how to prevent this would be greatly appreciated! We are going through a few sheet changes every night!

#2 tenar

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:43 PM

Try doing them a little looser: I remember mine leaking when they were done up a bit too tight.

How are you washing them?  

Is it happening always with with the same kind of lining/insert or various types?  Have you tried adding more absorbency?  We used very absorbent bamboo nappies at night.  

Try pouring some liquid into a clean nappy to check it still seems waterproof.  If our have accidentally washed them too hot you can damage the waterproofing.

To reduce the effort in changing sheets, layer them with a waterproof cover then sheet then another waterproof cover then another sheet. That way the first time baby soils the sheets you just pull the first two layers off, leaving clean underneath ready to go.

#3 EmmDasher

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

You might need a more absorbent night nappy and/or an absorbent cover if the leaks are mostly happening overnight. The nappies might just be getting flooded.

Edit - personally we just used a disposable overnight after the first couple of months. We never really found an MCN combo that suited the kids and lasted the night.

Edited by EmmDasher, 26 August 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#4 tarrie cat

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:22 PM

We used hippybottomus and I noticed they leaked if they were either too tight or too loose. We also switched washing powders to one that had no brightners in it as they can kill the absorbency of the liners.

And I have to admit we also used disposable nappies overnight. We tried for a little while with the MCN but I decided as the person who does all the laundry that they were just too much hassle. And the MCN were so bulky our kid looked uncomfortable in them. She looked much happier when we went to (evil) disposable nappies for night time.

#5 Deep thought

Posted 26 August 2019 - 08:27 PM

Not sure, but putting an extra cover over the top may do the trick. I found the all in ones, or pocket style more likely to leak than an inner with separate cover.
We had night time back leaking issues with disposables too and ended up putting a cover over the top of them too... until baby started tummy sleeping of her own accord.

Like PP when bubs started sleeping longer periods at night (=less milk- less wee and and stopped pooing) switched to "eco" disposables at night, ain't no one got time for changing nappies overnight when baby wants to sleep! This was around 3 months for us. Also couldn't stand second guessing they were crying cause they felt wet- disposables have a dryer feel.
I do try to use the cloth almost 100% during day though.

#6 AJPM

Posted 27 August 2019 - 12:46 AM

If they seem less absorbent it might be worth doing a strip wash (I used method one below). It always sorted mine out 😊 https://www.itti.com...r-itti-nappies/

#7 TinyGiraffe

Posted 27 August 2019 - 09:59 AM

If you have been following the hippybottomus nappies washing instructions, join the clean cloth nappies facebook page to fix your wash routine but the issue is likely just that bub is wetting more heavily and now needs more absorbancy.

Hippys are a microfibre insert (even though they market themselves as charcoal bamboo its still just microfibre) so work like a microfibre cleaning cloth/sponge in that they will absorb moisture but when pressed it leaks straight back out so now that bub is wetting more you are probably experiencing compression leaks.

If you look up the nappy leaks podcast they have an episode that covers the different fabrics and how to cheaply increase absorbancy but pairing a natural fabric like bamboo or hemp should solve the leak issues. Adding a cheap cotton facewasher or tea towel is also a popular fix.

https://cleanclothnappies.com/
https://cleanclothna...-getting-leaks/
https://www.nappylea...es-are-made-of/

#8 IamtheMumma

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:23 AM

Feel free to flame me but Hippobottomus isn't a great nappy. It is fine for during the day when you can change it frequently but it isn't for overnight. The microfibre insert doesn't hold a lot. Test it yourself with a measuring cup. It doesn't "wick" liquid further into the nappy. Once the area is wet, its wet and more liquid poured onto the same area, will leak.

I'd recommend looking further afield for different nappies or use a disposable overnight.

Baby bare, Bambooty, Fefifofum, SHP, Baby Beehind, Bubblebubs and Rawr are other brands.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 27 August 2019 - 10:24 AM.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 27 August 2019 - 01:28 PM

No flaming from here, i have always been told that hippybottomus were rebranded china cheapies.

The biggest problem with microfibre inserts is compression leaking, microfibre sucks up the liquid quickly, but it then acts like a sponge so when pressed it will leak.

Id look at some of the brands iamthemumma has mentioned - i used baby bares almost exclusively on my two & had zero issues.

#10 chloe_belle

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:53 AM

View PostPrincessPeach, on 27 August 2019 - 01:28 PM, said:

No flaming from here, i have always been told that hippybottomus were rebranded china cheapies.

The biggest problem with microfibre inserts is compression leaking, microfibre sucks up the liquid quickly, but it then acts like a sponge so when pressed it will leak.

Id look at some of the brands iamthemumma has mentioned - i used baby bares almost exclusively on my two & had zero issues.

I’m looking at the baby bares website but I’m a little confused about all the options. Which type of baby bare did you use when your baby was 2 months? I have a pretty solid 2 month old boy

#11 IamtheMumma

Posted 16 September 2019 - 08:48 AM

It goes on weight and preferences. Baby Cubs are a front snapping nappy. A chunky 2 month old should fit one. They come in two types - All in one or All in 2. All in one means its all in one piece. No pockets or stuffing. All in two means it has a cover and an insert that clips into place. I prefer two pieces myself.

They also have a side snapping nappy - Teddy Bear. They only come in All in 2. This style is my preference across all brands. They fitted my son best.

Each style comes in PUL or Minky cover and a bamboo insert.

#12 Bugster

Posted 16 September 2019 - 09:38 AM

Try adding a bamboo/hemp booster or switching brands

I personally loved Green kids & itti bitti

#13 Lallalla

Posted 16 September 2019 - 02:02 PM

I used the baby bare cubs - the all in 2 - never ever had an issue with them. They fit my girls from teeny tiny and didn’t need additional boosting. I never could get the size snapping ones to work on 2/3 of my kids but the 2 I had were fine on one of them.

Also I know I’m late to the party on hippbottomus (recently finished day toilet training so less in the nappy space now woot!) but from very early on I had to start boosting them with a bamboo booster. And then they worked fine, but never as reliable as the babybare (or baby behind or bambooty or issy bear -  which sadly closed down I think)

#14 PrincessPeach

Posted 16 September 2019 - 07:42 PM

At 2 months i was using the  bare cubs on my chunky monkey, as he got older the teddies were a better fit.

But my other son needed the cubs all along, he was long & lean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.