Baby breathing/movement sensors

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ragdoll01

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:00 PM

FTM & baby will be born with a complete cleft lip and palate so I'm now looking for recommendations/reviews for newborn breathing or those movement pads.

We're currently looking at the owlet or the oricom one but open to anything really. Also I'm alright with false alarms if that's the only issue with a specific product!

#2 Mrs Claus

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

We were given this one from my SIL and have had no issues (think maybe 3 false alarms when he moved way up/down the cot)

Attached Files

#3 Mollyksy

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:22 PM

I had the oricom one, 6 years ago so I'm sure it's a different model now! I just wanted to mention I had an issue with the ceiling fan on low that was enough to make the monitor think it was breathing. I discovered by accident after I took baby out of the cot and forgot to turn it off. I'd done that before, and it definitely is a piercing alarm sound! But this time no alarm. I solved it by moving the cot slightly. So just a warning, test it with any fan on in summer!

#4 Ragdoll01

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:38 PM

Excuse me if this is a stupid question but will both those also work with bassinets?? I'm not thinking of buying a cot till she outgrows the bassinet!

#5 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 24 August 2019 - 08:47 PM

I had the one Mrs Claus mentions and it was excellent and reliable.  No false alarms until DS was quite big and capable of rolling/crawling right into the corner of a big cot.

The range is really good too - I took it camping a few times and it worked perfectly.  

But as you mention a diagnosis, if there is a specific concern you can be prescribed a medical one which fastens on under the baby’s nappy.

#6 Reno-chic

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:08 PM

Yes they work in bassinets. Just pop them under the mattress.

#7 Mollyksy

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

Back in the day, the oricom had two pads so when it was used in a bassinet, you used one pad under the mattress. For the cot, you used two. So mine did work in the bassinet.

I just did a quick Google, the oricom ones now seem to have two sensor pads. Seems very similar to mine but the sensors now are round, mine were rectangle.

#8 Future-self

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:33 PM

We used the Oricom for both kids and really have peace of mind. At the time it was the only one that had gone through testing and proved it worked with the TGA so was a medical device. Not sure any other brands do this?

I do second the ceiling fan too - We has to move the basinett to ensure that the downward motion of the air from the fan wasn’t tricking it into thinking baby’s was in there and breathing. And I forgot to turn it off when getting DS out to feed overnight a couple of times too . Whoops, poor sleeping DH got woken by the shrieking alarm

#9 rosie28

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:45 PM

We have the angel care one and it’s been great- will use it for baby number 3 too. It works in a bassinet.

#10 Mumsyto2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 10:46 PM

View PostRagdoll01, on 24 August 2019 - 08:00 PM, said:

FTM & baby will be born with a complete cleft lip and palate so I'm now looking for recommendations/reviews for newborn breathing or those movement pads.

Touch base with your ob or paed to be put in touch with the appropriate person at the hospital your baby will go through. Mine did not have this issue (other physical disabilities) but while in the tertiary children’s hospital NICU, they were next to a baby who did have this issue and we were together for roughly 6 weeks before that baby left hospital.

The OT team at the hospital worked with that family in regards to feeding, positioning, sleeping etc and they left with special feeding equipment, crib and monitor that was all determined as being best suited by the OT team. This was all hired through the hospital at a greatly reduced rate. Obviously consumables are required but they were also purchased through hospital equipment dept at cost price. I recall they also had one of the plastic transparent newborn sleeping cribs hired but can’t remember the reason.

We experienced this also, all equipment deemed necessary was organised by hospital team and hired through equipment dept with any consumables at bulk cost price. I remember I had a hospital grade breast pump (double) and only had to pay $5/month as it was considered medically necessary as mine couldn’t breastfeed due to the nature of their disability but that was 15 years ago so no doubt would be a bit extra now.

#11 Kafkaesque

Posted 25 August 2019 - 10:49 AM

These devices can be so angst inducing. And false alarms can cause absolute trauma. A vast majority of my clients stop using them very quickly.

If your baby is likely to need one medically then the hospital will advise you and provide it.

You are going to have a far more complex ride with a baby with a cleft so please try not to make it harder for yourself.

Good luck with the birth.

#12 Caribou

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

We had an angelcare one. With video monitor. I loved it. However battery for parent monitor was bad, lasted 2 hours outside it’s cradle. I had it plugged in bedroom and had to get an extra cord to keep cradle in living/kitchen space.

#13 Daffy2016

Posted 25 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

We have the oricom one but we couldn’t use it in the basinette we had - the wires have to go from under the mattress to the button panel so couldn’t go through the mesh sides on the basinette.

We have the same problem with the travel cot too.

But we just have ours because I’m a worrier, so echoing PPS that your OB may be able to advise.

#14 Future-self

Posted 26 August 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostDaffy2016, on 25 August 2019 - 11:47 AM, said:

We have the oricom one but we couldn’t use it in the basinette we had - the wires have to go from under the mattress to the button panel so couldn’t go through the mesh sides on the basinette.

We have the same problem with the travel cot too.

I used our Oricom with
both our mesh bassinet and the travel cot.
Baby placed down the bottom of the bassinet, wires run at the top end and taped to the side as an added precaution. Baby was swaddled until 5 months so wasn’t able to pull on anything anyway .

Edited by Future-self, 26 August 2019 - 12:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.