Exercise.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:06 PM

I am reading a book at the moment called "Can't Hurt Me" by David Goggins, an ex-Navy Seal.  This motivated me to get my butt off the couch and start exercising every day, no excuses. Weights and cardio.  And OMG I feel amazing.  I haven't felt this good in about 10 years.

Anyone else experienced this?

PS I was a fairly slack couch potato before this, maybe exercising once or twice a week. Weights or cardio.  Not both.

Edited by Twinmum+2, 24 August 2019 - 05:44 PM.

#2 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:09 PM

Yes definitely. Exercise is very necessary for my mental health.

#3 ~J_F~

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Well it might help some people but it’s not an antidepressant and it can’t replace medication for those who need it!

Personally I think saying it’s the best antidepressant is a cheap shot at those who can’t manage their mental health without medication.

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 24 August 2019 - 05:14 PM.

#4 Popper

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

I couldn't agree more! I know how bad I feel if I don't exercise. Simply working out makes me stand taller and feel stronger. DH agrees and we have been really concentrating on supporting each other to achieve exercise every day over the last few months. We were only just saying how much better life feels because of this a few days ago

#5 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:14 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 24 August 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

Well it might help some people but it’s not an antidepressant and it can’t replace medication for those who need it!

Personally I think saying it’s the best antidepressant is a cheap shot at those who can’t manage their mental health without medication.

Oh yes I definitely agree with you... I am on medication and I think I will be for life.  But this feeling is better than I get with medication for sure!

Edited by Twinmum+2, 24 August 2019 - 05:16 PM.

#6 red_squirrel

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:19 PM

Not only for depression but any other condition where you are all caught up in your head.

Exercise gets you out of your head and into your body. It helps tremendously.

#7 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

Not “the best” but certainly a helpful tool. I love my anti-anxiety meds. And I love my exercise and both make me sane and me.

#8 Thursday

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:20 PM

I think there's a fair bit of evidence supporting the benefits of physical activity for mental health.

Having said that, it's not the only option & certainly not the best for everyone.

I'm not the fittest myself but for various reasons I know a lot of very high-level athletes, and I know of a few people who got themselves into a bit of a trap. Running a couple of hours a week helped their anxiety/depression to a noticeable extent but didn't cure it. So they start running more & more, to the point that it affects their physical health or their relationships, trying to reach a point where everything is OK. No amount of exercise is going to do the job when serious medication is required.

#9 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

View Post~J_WTF~, on 24 August 2019 - 05:11 PM, said:

Gosh that was so NOT my intention.  See my post above. No I can't manage mine without medication either.

#10 Anon63

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

I don't want to attack you but I don't think your title is very sensitive or at all accurate. I think you can make you point and celebrate without saying that.

I hope this doesn't bring you down but please change it.

#11 ~J_F~

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:25 PM

View PostTwinmum+2, on 24 August 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Gosh that was so NOT my intention.  See my post above. No I can't manage mine without medication either.

Fair enough but surely you can see how a comment like that hit when you need medication because exercise isn’t the best antidepressant.

The problems is certain people make comments like that all the time to people who need medication for mental health. Even in this thread a couple of the comments come close to shaming people for mental health issues. It’s not ok.

ETA - the title you have now isn’t a whole lot better. Maybe just a simple exercise has been good for my mental health.

Look I don’t want to bring you down, I just am sick of the shame around mental health and the oh but if you do this or that, you will be fine.

Edited by ~J_WTF~, 24 August 2019 - 05:32 PM.

#12 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:52 PM

I do understand exactly where you are coming from. In my dark days the worst thing is the feeling that nothing ever really works for long.  So this probably won't either.

#13 José

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

there's significant evidence that demonstrates exercise is good for your physical and mental health.

im not surprised exercise makes you feel good.

#14 Odd-1-Out

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

I just started going to the gym. I didnt notice it making me feel better and I wasnt ever looking forward to going. But since we have all been sick for the last 6 weeks and I havent been able to go, I feel like im losing my mind! So maybe it was helping and I didnt realise it?

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

I didn't see the original title.

Three years ago I was going through a stressful time at work. One day I thought I'd try to run to see if it helped. I found it helped enormously and I have stuck with it. I wish I'd started sooner.

#16 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:11 PM

I think it might be the amount and regularity that's helping too.  Once or twice a week was enough to keep me from wanting to stay in bed all day but doing it every day has been so much better.

#17 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:20 PM

I HATE the idea of 'excuses' because everyone has different circumstances, but I agree exercise is very very important in my mental health. I try to do some every day even if its just a short walk

#18 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:27 PM

And I know of people who would never have been able to start exercising without medication.

OP it’s fantastic that it’s helping you so much and that you are working as a team to prioritise it. I bet that feels great too.

#19 Oriental lily

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

It does not need to be formal structured exercise either . Me spending a couple of hours up to me ears in mud gardening is amazing for my mental health .

The same as a bush hike .

But yeah all that will still never replace my Zoloft lol .

#20 archyandmehitabel

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:53 PM

Twinmum+2 what was it in the book that made you want to start to exercise?
Can   you give any examples? Really interested to know

#21 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:55 PM

View PostThursday, on 24 August 2019 - 05:20 PM, said:

I think there's a fair bit of evidence supporting the benefits of physical activity for mental health.

Having said that, it's not the only option & certainly not the best for everyone.

I'm not the fittest myself but for various reasons I know a lot of very high-level athletes, and I know of a few people who got themselves into a bit of a trap. Running a couple of hours a week helped their anxiety/depression to a noticeable extent but didn't cure it. So they start running more & more, to the point that it affects their physical health or their relationships, trying to reach a point where everything is OK. No amount of exercise is going to do the job when serious medication is required.

I was in fact wondering if there was any research on professional athletes and their levels of depression... I am sure there would still be some with it but I wondered if it was a much lower level than the general population... would be interesting to know.

#22 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

View Postarchyandmehitabel, on 24 August 2019 - 06:53 PM, said:

Twinmum+2 what was it in the book that made you want to start to exercise?
Can   you give any examples? Really interested to know

The guy was an overweight pest controller who decided he needed to change his life.  He wanted to apply to the navy seals but he was too overweight and he had 3 months to get in shape. So he literally made his fitness a full time job.  Lost all the weight and overcome a lot of other obstacles to get in.  But it took him 3 goes to pass the course and his determination was what got me.  He just doesn't quit ever.  Swears like a... Navy seal(?) but so inspirational.  It made me realise I was being way too soft on myself.

#23 Ozquoll

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:02 PM

View PostTwinmum+2, on 24 August 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

I was in fact wondering if there was any research on professional athletes and their levels of depression... I am sure there would still be some with it but I wondered if it was a much lower level than the general population... would be interesting to know.
I did a quick google - one widely-cited study that came up was on German athletes - they had a higher level of depression than the population average.

#24 Twinmum+2

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostOzquoll, on 24 August 2019 - 07:02 PM, said:

I did a quick google - one widely-cited study that came up was on German athletes - they had a higher level of depression than the population average.

There goes that theory! Though they would also have a lot of other factors that would influence their mental health I guess so it would be hard to isolate the effect of the exercise by itself.

#25 Ozquoll

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:17 PM

View PostTwinmum+2, on 24 August 2019 - 07:07 PM, said:

There goes that theory! Though they would also have a lot of other factors that would influence their mental health I guess so it would be hard to isolate the effect of the exercise by itself.
Well, to be an elite athlete you have to have a fierce competitive drive - these are people who are often focussed on just one aspect of themselves - physical performance - and other factors that contribute to a happy life, like family-time or intellectual pursuits, might get forgotten. #notallathletes, of course 😉

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.