Boys name help - Joshua, Lewis or Rhys

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Kikki-B

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:16 PM

Hello! I'm having a hard time coming up with a shortlist of boys names (due November).
So far the only names both my husband and I like are Joshua and Lewis but I'm concerned that they are too popular.
I like Rhys but DH isn't a fan. If anyone has any input on these names (including preferred spelling variations) or other name suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks!

#2 Gudrun

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:31 PM

That's a very nice shortlist right there!

#3 blimkybill

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

Joshua and Lewis are both great names.
Other names you might like: Rory, Rowan, Lincoln, Elijah, Daniel, Hugo

#4 Jenflea

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:50 PM

I don't like Rhys but I do like the other 2.

#5 BadCat

Posted 24 August 2019 - 02:58 PM

Rhys is head and shoulders above the other two.  Beautiful name.

#6 AdelTwins

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

I had both Rhys and Lewis only my list for DS3. Love them both.

I don’t know any kids with that name at DS1 & 2’s school. There are a few Loius’ though (Loo-ee).

#7 MooGuru

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

Joshua. I adore the name Josh.

#8 Abcde-La-A

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:44 PM

All nice names! I like Rhys, then Joshua, then Lewis.

#9 zenkitty

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:48 PM

I think Lewis would be the least common, I’ve only heard of a couple. I prefer it to your other two name options.

#10 Hands Up

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:48 PM

Joshua

#11 Renovators delight

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:59 PM

I like all three. I have heard Lewis and Rhys at school but not Joshua, although I know a lot of older boys/men named Joshua.

Lewis is probably my favourite of the ones you listed.

#12 Threetwoone

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

I like Lewis.

#13 Kirralee2015

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:08 PM

I love Joshua (and Josh). I am a teacher and do not recall Joshua, Rhy or Lewis in any of the current P-6 classes.  

I like Rhy and, whilst I don't mind Lewis, I don't like Lewie which is the nickname for a girlfriend's son who is a Lewis.

#14 kerilyntaryn

Posted 24 August 2019 - 05:56 PM

I like Rhys, Joshua and Lewis all great names others Silas, Elias, Josiah, James, Seth, saul

#15 little lion

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:01 PM

Rhys is a lovely choice.

#16 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:05 PM

View PostKikki-B, on 24 August 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

Hello! I'm having a hard time coming up with a shortlist of boys names (due November).
So far the only names both my husband and I like are Joshua and Lewis but I'm concerned that they are too popular.
I like Rhys but DH isn't a fan. If anyone has any input on these names (including preferred spelling variations) or other name suggestions I'd love to hear them.
Thanks!

Names become popular for a reason - they are great names!

All my kids have popular names and I still love them all despite this.

I love Joshua from your list. Not a fan of the others.

Some suggestions:

Elias
Benjamin
Jeremy
Jonah
Samuel
Adam
Reuben
Lucas
Oliver
Nicholas

#17 Imaginary friend

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:26 PM

I like all 3 names.

Probably Joshua the winner for me.

Re spelling variations - Joshua and Lewis really only have  one established spelling

Rhys can also be spelt Reece
I prefer Rhys but either is fine

#18 AliasMater

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:39 PM

I don't like Rhys much but Lewis is my favourite and I like Joshua too.

#19 kerilyntaryn

Posted 25 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

I dont think any of the names are too popular - I like them in this order Joshua Rhys(this spelling) the Lewis

Other names

Alastair Fergus Angus Douglas Hamish Ashley Asher Austin Christopher Christian Curtis Isaac Cyrus Justin Julius Jesse Jackson Jonas Lucas Miles Mason Thomas Ross Oscar Marcus Nicolas Wesley Tobias Sean Scott Simon Stuart Stephen Stanley

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 25 August 2019 - 12:05 AM.

#20 nikki_205

Posted 25 August 2019 - 03:33 AM

I don't think Joshua is too common at the moment. I don't like Lewis but Joshua and Rhys are both great names.

#21 majirlo

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:11 AM

All three are great names and not overly popular now. I like Joshua and Rhys the most and then Lewis.

Also like;

Levi
Flynn
Jasper
Nate
Hudson

Edited by majirlo, 25 August 2019 - 07:13 AM.

#22 FreyjaCatherine22

Posted 25 August 2019 - 07:16 AM

Nice list. Joshua has been falling in popularity in Australia since mid 90s. It's out of the top 20 and may even be as low as 40-50 depending on which state you're in.
Not sure about Lewis, but Louis is also falling and is not even in the top 50.
Rhys is not even in the top 100 of any charts I've seen for Australia at the moment.
Other suggestions: Ezra, Caleb, Arthur, Dylan, Jasper

#23 Kikki-B

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 24 August 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

I had both Rhys and Lewis only my list for DS3. Love them both.

I don’t know any kids with that name at DS1 & 2’s school. There are a few Loius’ though (Loo-ee).

That is my major concern with Lewis, I really don't like Loius as a nn and I'm sure he will end up being called that!

#24 Kikki-B

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostRenovators delight, on 24 August 2019 - 03:59 PM, said:

I like all three. I have heard Lewis and Rhys at school but not Joshua, although I know a lot of older boys/men named Joshua.

Lewis is probably my favourite of the ones you listed.

Thanks so much, We actually have quite a few Joshua's at my daughters school (there are two in DD8 class!)

#25 Kikki-B

Posted 25 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

View PostKirralee2015, on 24 August 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

I love Joshua (and Josh). I am a teacher and do not recall Joshua, Rhy or Lewis in any of the current P-6 classes.  

I like Rhy and, whilst I don't mind Lewis, I don't like Lewie which is the nickname for a girlfriend's son who is a Lewis.

I feel the same with Louis/Lewie as a nn which is what's putting me off the name a bit. We have lots of Joshua's at school, but no Rhy's - I just can't convince my husband with Rhys though!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.