Everything that is wrong with the world - add your own

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 BadCat

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:54 PM

The Amazon Rain Forest is on fire and nobody is really doing much about it despite the fact that it provides 20% of the world's oxygen.  No sign of all those sanctimonious rich folk who threw money like confetti when a church in Paris burned.

Elementary school students in the US sell raffle tickets for which the prize is a semi-automatic weapon.  How nice to get killed by a gun you sold the winning ticket for.

The Catholic Church are pretending to stand for the defenseless while also championing the "sanctity" of the confessional. No.  You can't do that. Those confessions you hear are the ammunition the defenseless need to be heard and to get convictions against criminals.

So much more, but I'm tired.  Add your own.  What is causing you to despair at the state of the world today?

Oh, and the whole Trump sh*tshow just goes without saying really.

#2 Chchgirl

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:58 PM

Barnaby freaking Joyce. That guy just gets under my skin,  especially this week..

#3 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:00 PM

People aren’t getting pay rises, but not just here, globally. The union movement is going backwards and we are all working harder for the same or less pay.

Private health insurance is becoming worthless and unviable and yet our laws have forced people into it.

Recyclables are being dumped in landfill

#4 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:02 PM

The normalisation of the far-right.

The refusal to accept women should have rights over their own bodies.

Refusing to allow people to have the option to pass away peacefully with their loved ones at a time of their choosing.

#5 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:04 PM

a butterfly has flapped its wings in sydney and caused train chaos which in turn has caused road chaos which in turn has made my bus not arrive. chaos reigns.

trump
amazon - the rain forrest
barnaby
fred nile
the catholic church
boris
morrison
happy clappy christians
august
wind

i could go on....

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 23 August 2019 - 06:05 PM.

#6 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:07 PM

the google algorithm is borked. find me something written about Thomas Aquinas that’s not written by a catholic. i have my reasons....

eta but not dawkins

Edited by Lucrezia Borgia, 23 August 2019 - 06:07 PM.

#7 steppy

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:10 PM

Surveillance is only increasing. Soon people will have no alternatives and no where to hide and a more and more rigid and rigidly applied standard for how we MUST behave.

#8 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:15 PM

Book week has made me think that even though women are working more and more these days, somehow parents are expected to be involved in school and pre school more than ever. It’s like the universe is saying “oh no you don’t, get back in that kitchen while you’re there, and sew a costume and volunteer for swimming carnival or you’re a bad mum”

Our pre school, 4 year old kinder, is over the top, every second week there is a “thing” the kids do that required signed forms, and every other week there is some other fundraiser.

#9 Avocado tree

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:18 PM

Donald Trump
Boris Johnson
Alan Jones
George Pell
Barnaby Joyce

5 men the world could do without.

#10 Paddlepop

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:19 PM

Unemployment.

The massive reduction in government funding for medical research, leading to unemployment of scientists like my DH.

The sh*tty rate of Newstart that isn’t realistic to live on.

Trump.

The erosion of women’s rights to bodily autonomy especially in the USA ATM.

Rich or middle class or upper class old white men running the world who have NFI about things that matter to women.

Long term/permanent chronic illness that has no cure but might if medical research was funded.

The explosion of almond, coconut and other alternative milk products pushing aside the soy products that I prefer. Coconut stuff is disgusting and I refuse to try almond because it’s so damn expensive. How I miss my lactase enzyme. It was gone too soon.

#11 purplekitty

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:30 PM

All of the above but greed and unconstrained self interest motivates much of it.

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 23 August 2019 - 06:07 PM, said:

the google algorithm is borked. find me something written about Thomas Aquinas that’s not written by a catholic. i have my reasons....

eta but not dawkins
Bertrand Russell?

#12 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 23 August 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

All of the above but greed and unconstrained self interest motivates much of it.

Bertrand Russell?

yes....but something weird is going on with google, even when i google Russell on Aquinas i get all these results from suspiciously named “University of Notre Dame” or similar critiquing Bertrand’s critique on Aquinas.

#13 ~J_F~

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

All of it....

Privileged white rich old men (just die already), who do **** all and shout the people trying down and the people support them.

I am doing a human rights subject at uni. Depressing sh*t!

I am on a news hiatus again, I just can’t take it on top of my own life at the moment.

#14 purplekitty

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 23 August 2019 - 06:35 PM, said:

yes....but something weird is going on with google, even when i google Russell on Aquinas i get all these results from suspiciously named “University of Notre Dame” or similar critiquing Bertrand’s critique on Aquinas.

It's in History of Western Philosophy.

#15 JBH

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:45 PM

The patriarchy

#16 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:46 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 23 August 2019 - 06:38 PM, said:

It's in History of Western Philosophy.

is there a “History of Western Philosophy” for dummies i wonder....

seriously - it was like googling “an argument for reducing butter “ and getting only results from the French Patisserie Chefs Guild of Burgundy ....(mais non!)

(i actually don’t think we should reduce butter...)

#17 kimasa

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:50 PM

I'm just tired of pointless nastiness. It feels so consuming at the moment.

#18 Ozquoll

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

7 billion too many humans.

#19 chicken_bits

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:54 PM

This book that I accidentally stumbled upon yesterday while searching for something completely different:

https://kissly.net/b...=fnom&x=5937495

Some delightful excerpts:

"The women in our personal lives loved the concept of this book and have encouraged us to move forward with it. There is a difference between good women and women who have a very twisted perception of the “genders”."

"Women can't play sports. Period. To fully understand what we mean here, obviously a woman can engage in a sport at some time and place.
What we really mean here is to just point out the fact that the WNBA is (as are other female sports leagues) basically equivalent to the Special Olympics. Meaning that in order for them to have their individual achievements they need to exclude the players that can beat them.
That is the purpose of the Special Olympics. It is to provide self-esteem. The Special Olympics (which I have volunteered at repeatedly) is meant to build up the participants and make them feel good about participating in a competition where they have a chance of winning.
The same goes for the WNBA; Obviously if they let the NBA players play against them, none of them would be winning or even make the team."

"Sure, an individual woman might pay taxes, but as a group women do not pay taxes. As a group, women are net tax receivers, while men are (as a group) net tax payers.
What that means fundamentally is that women consume more in direct government services (not even counting roads and such) than they will ever pay in taxes. Put in that perspective, you can begin to understand why women would be more in favor of spending and taxation.
Men, on the other hand, tend to want a smaller government, less taxes; they are not benefiting (directly, anyways) from taxation and government programs. The government then simply amounts to a forceful transfer of wealth from men to women. Men get virtually nothing in return in this arrangement."

And the best one:

"There is a widely held myth that most traditional women in history were dependent on men but that the "modern" woman is independent.
Of course nothing could be further from the truth. It would be more accurate to say that traditionally dependent men and women were in symbiotic interdependence (in traditional society) and modern women are the parasitically dependent ones today.
The whole practice of Feminism amounts to, little more than, lobbying the government to shake down men and forcibly transfer resources from men to woman.
The reality is that an individual woman can be independent but, as a group, resources need to flow from men to women in order for the species to continue.
Traditional women would provide value as wives, mothers, domestic engineers, increasing the family’s reputation through charity/volunteer work and usually stretching the family budget. The modern western woman would prefer to get what she needs from men without providing anything in return."

#20 BadCat

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:59 PM

Well that's ****ing vomit inducing.

#21 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

yeh....it’s infecting twitter too...all these “i’m so blessed and my husband has said i am now ready to accept his seed and grow his baby - i love being owned”

no 1: that was absolutely not written by a woman, but by some pathetic incel...

but 2 - why is there an appetite for this?

i hate everything

#22 Weavile

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:23 PM

Bloody school bullies. :cry:

#23 Jane Jetson

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

I think ultimately it boils down to the not just acceptance, but encouragement, of obscene cruelty at the moment.

Incels and MGTOWs worry me; of course they would. I'm a woman and my children are girls, and these men don't just lobby to take the vote off us and remove all reproductive rights, but they literally want to enslave us and kill us. These men think we're livestock. This is increasingly being presented as "just another point of view" which we should embrace in the name of free speech, and the enthusiastic takeup of your Jordan Petersens is a blaring alarm signal. Karl Marx told men off about this sh*t how long ago?

The mainstream acceptance of white supremacy worries me; how would it not? Not just because my grandmother was half Romanichal and she'd have been gassed if she and everyone else in the UK in her generation hadn't pulled through in WWII; not just because the "Great Replacement" theory posits that the bodies of white women belong to white men as a class and that we need to be controlled in order to perpetuate the white race. This is revolting enough on its own without taking into account the sheer cruelty to POC particularly in regard to US immigration and our own concentration camps, where we are all complicit in the torture of real, living, breathing, frightened people. Or even the slave labour we employ in the clothing, coffee, chocolate and mobile phone parts industries to name a few.

The class warfare being waged against the poor worries me. Over 2000 Australians may have now reportedly lost their lives to suicide now over Robodebt. How good is ****ing Australia. Jobs are being sent to poor people overseas who can be paid a pittance to work in atrocious conditions; some come here so they can be treated like dirt here; reliable safe jobs are going so we can all be on precarious contracts with the threat of Newstart poverty and a robodebt ever-looming. Mention this and it's "class warfare" and the "politics of envy".

Don't even start me on climate change.

I feel like the world is going dark again, and this time the lights may go out for good.

#24 purplekitty

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:31 PM

The other Mercado books.
They need to plead insanity.

https://www.amazon.c..._rwt_scns_share

#25 SFmummyto3

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:07 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 23 August 2019 - 06:19 PM, said:

Unemployment.

The massive reduction in government funding for medical research, leading to unemployment of scientists like my DH.

The sh*tty rate of Newstart that isn’t realistic to live on.

Trump.

The erosion of women’s rights to bodily autonomy especially in the USA ATM.

Rich or middle class or upper class old white men running the world who have NFI about things that matter to women.

This a billion times over.

Anti-vaxxers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.