Fancy toothpaste - is it worth it

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Quick hedgehog

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:21 PM

I normally buy the cheapest name brand toothpaste I can find on the shelf which is generally a regular Colgate of some kind, about $2.50 for a large tube, so close to $2 per 100g.

I have been feeling my teeth seem a bit more sensitive than usual lately, so when I went to buy toothpaste today, I thought I might get some sensodyne or similar.  

I couldn't believe it when I perused the toothpaste section in more detail than I usually do.  Some tubes of toothpaste cost $11!  Sensitive teeth, whitening, enamel protect...  so many options and such huge prices.  

I couldn't bring myself to do it, so stuck with my regular run of the mill ordinary toothpaste.  

Do fancy toothpastes really deliver on what they say they will or is it all just slick marketing?

#2 Avocado tree

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:29 PM

Sensodine definitely helps over time.  I definitely notice a difference.  I do use fancy toothpaste but the benefits aren’t obvious for the others.

#3 gettin my fance on

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:30 PM

Our dentist recommended White Glo Professional toothpaste for DD to use and I buy it when it's 1/2 price at Coles for $2.65 (and it comes with a toothbrush).  It's normally $5.30.

I buy a few at a time when they are 1/2 price.  DD and I both use it.

DH uses Sensodyne - I did buy Macleans Sensitive (much cheaper than Sensodyne) but DH said he preferred Sensodyne.  The occasional times I had some tooth sensitivity, I found the Macleans fixed it really quickly (1-2 uses).

Have just realised that I haven't had any sensitivity since using White Glo exclusively.  Don't know whether that is co-incidence or not  - it does suds up quite a lot (more than other toothpastes I have tried), so maybe it gets into the bits that are sensitive - I dunno.

#4 annodam

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:32 PM

I’m like you, run of the mill toothpaste, whatever’s on special really for both DH & I.
The kids, well DD 18 has had sensitive teeth for years, so she’s been using Sensodyne Rapid Relief & it seems to help.
It appears DS might also start on Sensodyne too in the near future, he complained of sore teeth whilst drinking cold water yesterday.

#5 Mmmcheese

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:37 PM

I buy the sensitive toothpaste and it has helped. There's usually at least one on sale, so I buy whatever is on sale. If it's a good sale, I get a few at a time. I also have to buy the clinical strength deodorant now too, which is more expensive. Aging is expensive!

#6 Mooples

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:38 PM

My mum uses the sensitive stuff from Aldi and thinks it’s realy great and less than the ones at coles / woolies.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:45 PM

The toothpaste for sensitive teeth definitely works. Whether you need to use top of the range Sensodyne (which is all that was available for a few decades, so a lot of brand loyalty) or one of the cheaper ones, you'll soon find out.

When away for a few nights not long ago I took a little sample pack of some whiz bang stuff from OralB, and oh boy, did I notice the difference after a few days.

My suggestion would be try a tube of sensodyne, only using that while it lasts, then try one of the cheaper sensitive teeth ones, and decide based on that.

They do actually work, though, I think that's generally acknowledged.

#8 boysescakes

Posted 22 August 2019 - 07:53 PM

Definitely helped and when I stopped using the sensitive toothpaste my dentist recommended my teeth started to hurt.
I go to Chemist Warehouse for my toothpaste, it’s usually half the price of Coles and the other supermarkets.

#9 More cheese Gromit

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:03 PM

I use whichever sensitive teeth toothpaste is cheapest on the day, so I’ve used everything from sensodyne to cedel and they all do the job of stopping pain of sensitive teeth
Some feel a little grainy than others but nothing to be brand loyal about

#10 laridae

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:04 PM

Yes, I think they work. I get the sensitive whitening one. But only when it's on special. It was 1/2 price today so I bought a couple of tubes.
I hide mine though so DH doesn't use it. He gets the cheap stuff in a massive tube because he goes through it so fast! He puts a large amount on his toothbrush, I only use a little, so it lasts me ages.

#11 overlytired

Posted 22 August 2019 - 08:28 PM

View PostQuick hedgehog, on 22 August 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

I have been feeling my teeth seem a bit more sensitive than usual lately, so when I went to buy toothpaste today, I thought I might get some sensodyne or similar.

I also have sensitive teeth and use Colgate Sensitive pro-Relief (I'm in Canada – unsure if it's available there?). I also use a weekly fluoride rinse, and will occasionally ask the dentist for a spot treatment application of fluoride. It's inexpensive and helps quite a bit.

Not all toothpaste is created equal. Some (even name brands) are actually quite abrasive, which can exasperate sensitivity. There's a chart floating around the internet that ranks the more popular ones in order of abrasiveness.

#12 Wot*A*Lot*Of_____

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

DD’s alternate between White Glo, charcoal powder stuff and normal. Just depends on what is on the sink. They have enough samples to last awhile. DH and I just use anything white with no gel stripes etc.in it, as it is the only type that doesn’t give him a headache.

The white ones are also great for polishing rings. I have a baby toothbrush and just use that and some toothpaste every few weeks.

#13 WaitForMe

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:25 PM

I buy run of the mill but...

I've been doing a bit of reading on toothpaste ingredients lately. Yeah I know I'm weird like that sometimes.

Many of them contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which many people are all aghast about being too harsh for skin and hair, but strangely you don't really hear a huge amount about it being in toothpaste. Anyway, it is linked to reoccurring mouth ulcers. Not in everybody, but if you are one of those people that gets them then it could be your toothpaste.

The other interesting ingredient is Triclosan, although I just did a google search and it looks like as of this year its been removed from at least Colgate. Triclosan is the antibacterial that has been removed from hand sanitiser due to concerns of overuse and superbugs. Yet it quietly stayed in toothpaste (for some time), where it goes in your mouth and ingested to some degree. Anyway, looks like Colgate has finally given in on that one.

One of the reasons i looked into ingredients was because I got interested in making my own, partly to reduce single use plastics, partly because I just like learning how to make stuff. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how to add fluoride in the very low quantities that toothpaste has. All I could find were people going on about the evils of fluoride (its not) and how cocoa is just as effective (its not). I actually think the reality is no diy'er could make a fluoride based toothpaste so all thats left is people justifying going fluoride free.

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:27 PM

My gums receded a bit when I was pregnant and I’ve used sensitive toothpastes for the past 18 years.    

If we go away and I forget mine and use DH’s normal Colgate, my teeth are really painful after a couple days.  

Plus I find the Colgate tastes really sweet compared to the sensitive ones

#15 Coffeegirl

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:32 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 22 August 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

I buy run of the mill but...

I've been doing a bit of reading on toothpaste ingredients lately. Yeah I know I'm weird like that sometimes.

Many of them contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which many people are all aghast about being too harsh for skin and hair, but strangely you don't really hear a huge amount about it being in toothpaste. Anyway, it is linked to reoccurring mouth ulcers. Not in everybody, but if you are one of those people that gets them then it could be your toothpaste.

The other interesting ingredient is Triclosan, although I just did a google search and it looks like as of this year its been removed from at least Colgate. Triclosan is the antibacterial that has been removed from hand sanitiser due to concerns of overuse and superbugs. Yet it quietly stayed in toothpaste (for some time), where it goes in your mouth and ingested to some degree. Anyway, looks like Colgate has finally given in on that one.

One of the reasons i looked into ingredients was because I got interested in making my own, partly to reduce single use plastics, partly because I just like learning how to make stuff. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how to add fluoride in the very low quantities that toothpaste has. All I could find were people going on about the evils of fluoride (its not) and how cocoa is just as effective (its not). I actually think the reality is no diy'er could make a fluoride based toothpaste so all thats left is people justifying going fluoride free.

Fluoride is added to tap water in most major cities in Australia, so you probably wouldn’t need it in your toothpaste as well,      If you really felt you needed it you can buy fluoride mouth rinse at the chemist.

#16 WaitForMe

Posted 22 August 2019 - 09:46 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 22 August 2019 - 09:32 PM, said:

Fluoride is added to tap water in most major cities in Australia, so you probably wouldn’t need it in your toothpaste as well,   If you really felt you needed it you can buy fluoride mouth rinse at the chemist.

Fluoride in water is nowhere near as effective as it is in toothpaste. It makes a difference but not like toothpaste, due to both concentration and delivery method.

Using a bought mouth rinse would defeat the purpose of making my own toothpaste.

Actually it would be interesting whether fluoride mouth rinses are that effective, I suspect not based on what I read. No agitation.

#17 Jenflea

Posted 22 August 2019 - 10:22 PM

I use the Colgate Sensitive pro as well and I can't go back to regular toothpastes at all. The dentist gave me a sample tube a few years ago.

If you have sensitive teeth, I'd rather spend the money so they hurt less than save money and be in pain eating ice-cream!

#18 SeaPrincess

Posted 22 August 2019 - 11:28 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 22 August 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

Many of them contain Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which many people are all aghast about being too harsh for skin and hair, but strangely you don't really hear a huge amount about it being in toothpaste.
I have perioral dermatitis and when it was at its worst, I read that fluoride and sodium lauryl sulphate are linked. My skin has certainly improved since I switched to a toothpaste that doesn’t have them in it. I’ve been using fluoride-free toothpaste for nearly 14 years, and my teeth haven’t suffered.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 22 August 2019 - 11:28 PM.

#19 overlytired

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:46 AM

Another option that, surprisingly, worked really well is Weleda Salt Toothpaste. Not cheap, but considering there are no ingridients specific to sensitive teeth (e.g. arginine), I was blown away at how well it did work.

At first, it tastes a little horrible (salty, but not like salt) but it does grow on you. Certainly not as bad as Sensodyne.

#20 nom_de_plume

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:48 AM

Sensodyne goes on special every few weeks for $7 at Colesworths and Chemist Warehouse. You can also get it at Costco for around that price if you’re a member.

DP uses it. The kids and I just use Colgate Total or Maclean’s Extreme - whatever is on special.

#21 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 23 August 2019 - 07:29 AM

I buy the sensitive toothpaste, like PP I just wait till it’s on special somewhere (it always seems to be in special somewhere).

If you’ve got really sensitive teeth it makes a big difference though. When I stop using it after a while it feels like someone is digging a drill into my tooth if anything too hot or cold touches it!

#22 gracie1978

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

Oh man, was totally expecting to come in here and find info about a new outrageously expensive toothpaste, with gold speckles

#23 overlytired

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

View Postgracie1978, on 23 August 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

Oh man, was totally expecting to come in here and find info about a new outrageously expensive toothpaste, with gold speckles

No gold flecks, but it's made for sensitive teeth https://theapothecar...092239f7b&_ss=r

:ph34r: but mostly :omg:

Edited for typo

Edited by overlytired, 23 August 2019 - 10:35 AM.

#24 gracie1978

Posted 23 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

View Postoverlytired, on 23 August 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

No gold flecks, but it's made for sensitive teeth https://theapothecar...39f7b&_ss=r

Edited for typo

Now that's what I'm talking about :)

#25 born.a.girl

Posted 23 August 2019 - 12:01 PM

View Postoverlytired, on 23 August 2019 - 10:35 AM, said:

No gold flecks, but it's made for sensitive teeth https://theapothecar...092239f7b&_ss=r

Edited for typo

What a shame it's sold out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.