Older ladies TTC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kibou

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

I have 2 wonderful children but ache for another. I’m 39 and I find myself so stressed thinking about the risks (mainly chromosomal and multiples) that we are probably leaning towards not TTC. However I’m so worried that I’m being too risk adverse and will I always regret not just going for it. If we don’t conceive I’d be ok, its the fact we haven’t tried.

Anyway wondering if anyone was in the same boat and decided to go for it?

Thanks
K

#2 tarrie cat

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:35 PM

I was 42 when we started trying. Got pregnant after six months of trying (apparently that makes me a bit of a freak because women over 40 aren't supposed to get pregnant naturally within six months). We had all the tests you could think of once we knew I was pregnant. Costs money but it was hugely reassuring. Luckily everything was fine and I now have a healthy, happy four year old.

#3 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:54 PM

I guess TTC is a leap of faith at any stage. I had mine at 38 and 40. I just kind of figured what happens happens, and sadly there can be risks and problems at any time, not just as you get older. We also did all the tests once pregnant.

Luckily it worked out fine, but if it hadn’t that’s another factor you need to steel yourself for, and maybe have an idea of how you might move forward if the results weren’t what you’d hoped for. Best of luck if you decide to go ahead.

#4 born.a.girl

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

My 'only' was born two weeks before my 39th.   Sister's fifth was born when she was 44, conceived straight way (you'll have to take my word on that one), friend's daughter born when she was 43 conceived the month she went off the pill.

Obviously there are all the other stories about people who were infertile by the time they were 35, too.  My MIL and SIL reached menopause early 40s and would have been infertile well before that.

The truth is women are not an average.  Ten percent of women can still conceive within a year at 45.  I would have been one of those, not reaching menopause until late fifties (and had frequently pituitary tests for an unrelated condition).

So much improved testing now, if that's what worries you.  If you're feeling the urge, I'd say go for it.  I'd have not hesitated until 45, if it hadn't been for an undiagnosed tumour giving me stratospheric blood pressure, which caused quite the drama after our only one was born.

#5 WannabeMasterchef

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:26 PM

I recently had my 3rd baby at 42. No chromosomal issues or other pregnancy health issues.
Some of the pregnancy related issues are less common if its not your first child. Obviously chromosomal issues are related to age, of both the mother and the father.
You can test for the most commonly occurring ones non invasively now,  as you are likely aware.
Surprisingly my 3rd pregnancy and labour were by far easier than the other 2. Breastfeeding is going well.

Im certainly finding it a juggle with 3 but if anything being older is probably easier as I had more money behind me for a couple of emergencies that cropped up!

#6 tarrie cat

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:37 PM

I also think a lot of the science used to back up the current thoughts on fertility over 35 and the risks involved need a massive update. Some of the studies used in the debate around fertility are quite old but it's not something that's going to make money so no one is really interested.

My very-unsubstantiated position is that the science is quite wobbly.

If you really, really want to try, do it. If you do get pregnant and you've got the money, get all the tests done. We're in a much better position now to find out what's what.

#7 Lifesgood

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:08 PM

I wasn't 'trying' but ended up pg with my second at 40, he was born healthy just before my 41st birthday. Like you I was worried about the higher risks associated with the pregnancy and chose to have full chromosomal testing at 12 weeks.

You just need to decide whether you would terminate if there was an abnormality, and if you can accept that risk. It isn't something to take lightly (which I'm sure you wouldn't - just meaning to think it through carefully before).

#8 Babetty

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:51 PM

Another aspect to consider is not just whether you want a baby now, but if you are successful, do you want to be supporting a 20 year old when you're 60? Go for it if you want, I just have a vivid memory of a colleague saying to me "I'd be retired by now if we'd stopped at 2" - they had a big gap between the first 2 and number 3.

#9 Koolextra

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:57 PM

I seriously can not believe I am writing this post.

Older ladies TTC! I don't feel old,  but am 37.

When I turned 30 I told my DH it was too old to have another baby.

We have a 16 year old.  My DH always said he didn't want another baby.

I went of the pill in Jan to help try and lose weight.   I lost 18 kgs in 5 months.

I gave it one last try asking DH and said it will never happen.   I told him we can try for 6 months then I'd stop.  No IVF.

Would you believe it,  we fell first month of trying!!!  I timed DTD based on apps but didn't pin point O.

6 weeks yesterday! Still can't believe it .

There's hope for everyone yet

#10 AliasMater

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:19 PM

I had one at 40.

25 words or less version:

Awful awful pregnancy. 8 hospital admissions, 11 met calls, premature delivery, 2 trips to intensive care (myself), toxic liver injury, kidney damage... and absolutely no regrets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.