Stone Benchtops in Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 missrach

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:50 PM

Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences.

Yes I agree that it is mostly the people who have something negative to say that share on product review so that could account for such a surprisingly poor rating.
Nice to hear some positive things from some of you. Will have a look at the colours again was thinking something lightish with grey tones.
Yes will definitely talk to the stone supplier about their health and safety practices with regards to silicosis.

#27 JomoMum

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:14 PM

We have white (not sure which one) caesar in our new build and I truly hate it. It marks and stains so easily. And chips. There are tiny marks all around where 6yo DS sits and eats breaky and taps his little spoon.

We had quantum quartz in our previous house (kitchen Reno) and absolutely loved it.

#28 WaitForMe

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

We went with Lithostone as its a cheaper brand, in Carrera Grey.

They said to use meths to clean and a separate cloth, as its often a thin layer of oils that causes stains. We don't bother with a separate cloth as thats just silly.

So far no chips and we keep pots and pans off it. Costs too much for me to mistreat it.15 year warranty will hopefully cover anything if I follow the rules.

#29 rosie28

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:31 PM

We had caesarstone in our previous house- white, and 6 years with no stains or chips. I wouldn’t say we’re overly gentle, lots of curry and red wine etc. and it all looked perfect.

I think house we have a sand colour and again no chips, the kids eat on it all the time. 1.5 years down.

It’s fantastic for pastry making!

#30 Prancer is coming

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

We have stone bench tops.  I have no idea what sort.  It was pretty much the cheapest one the kitchen place had.

It s about 1.5 years old and no problems so far.  Jiff gets any stains now.  It still looks new and classy.  Ours is white with small flecks and what almost lols like small stones.  The only thing we found is some of the stones are almost translucent.  So when thebench tops were made and some of the translucent stones were cut through, it actually looks like chips in the edge.  They are not chips, you can see the edge of the stones when you look carefully.  Hope that made sense!

We are glad we got stone, but also super happy having some good appliances.  I do think I love my oven more than the bench tops!

#31 kimasa

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

I have a sand coloured caesarstone, I've had it since October of last year.

It has one big chip in it already, and one of us is always scrubbing at it. Coffee is the surprising staining culprit. I should have gotten a coffee coloured one.

Great for making pasta though.

#32 TheGreenSheep

Posted 21 August 2019 - 08:38 AM

We have Caesarstone in our kitchen, bathrooms and laundry. Never had a problem with staining. This includes turmeric, red wine etc. I just use a magic eraser and it disappears. I give them a good clean with a stone cleaner from the supermarket from time to time, makes them all shiny and feel slippery again. I often put pots from the stove on my stone tops, although I have induction so that may be why I don’t have marks?
Only issues I can identify with the stone were install issues and they were rectified at the time of building.

#33 too tired to care

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Sorry to ask but wondering what can you do if you do happen to chip an essa stone bench?

I love our bench and we have the same issue as prancer is coming in that some of the stones look like chips, however we have 2 chips on the edge of the bench and i am just wondering what others do to fix them.

#34 Gonzy

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:20 AM

We have ceaserstone on our benches and a large (think 2.2x1.5 metre island bench) and we've had no issues.  It is more porous than we realised but nothing good old gumption can't clean off.

Our previous benches were laminate and actually funnily enough the edges were very chipped on that - very, very old kitchen though so realistically it served us well for it's age.

Enjoy the new kitchen :)

ETA: - OP - this is our colour as a reference guide - we have a coffee machine, drink red wine, have those stupid flowers with little root that stains yellow, have rolled pasta and pizza dough on the bench - all has come out. - https://www.caesarst...-fresh-concrete

Edited by Gonzy, 21 August 2019 - 09:24 AM.

#35 Romeo Void

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:27 AM

Silicosis is only a problem for the people grinding the stone, it's the dust that's the problem, so your stone benches are fine.

I've had laminate, timber and stone and stone is great.  Honestly, check out the stone counters in places like Macca's, they hold up to that kind of abuse...they'll hold up in a regular kitchen.

Edited by Romeo Void, 21 August 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#36 qak

Posted 21 August 2019 - 09:38 AM

View Postpurplekitty, on 19 August 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

We’ve had granite for years,looks as good as the day it was put in.

Us too - a glossy black granite, 19 years on - no chips, marks or stains.

#37 Gumbette

Posted 21 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

View Posttoo tired to care, on 21 August 2019 - 09:12 AM, said:

Sorry to ask but wondering what can you do if you do happen to chip an essa stone bench?

I love our bench and we have the same issue as prancer is coming in that some of the stones look like chips, however we have 2 chips on the edge of the bench and i am just wondering what others do to fix them.

Friends of ours recently had someone come out to repair their Caesarstone benchtop prior to selling.  $200 call out fee, all chips are gone.  Her advice is to wait until you have a few that need fixing but yes they can be restore.  I guess that's the difference between man made & natural stone?

#38 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 21 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

Yes, man made stone is stone/quartz particles in a resin, so they just have to fill with the same coloured resin and polish. It would be very hard to colour match to natural stone.

#39 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:08 PM

We have Sila stone IIRC. Not quite white but close. Cleans up easily with Jif and no chips so far. Have I just jinxed myself now?

#40 Backtoschoolchef

Posted 21 August 2019 - 04:32 PM

View PostKiwi Bicycle, on 19 August 2019 - 01:10 PM, said:

I guess that people who have stuff go wrong are more likely to leave a review that those who love it.

Product review can be useful to get an overall picture but theres a LOT of fake reviews on there (look at Kogan for a laugh).  Fake reviews can be both positive or negative. Worth keeping in mind.

#41 can'tstayaway

Posted 21 August 2019 - 05:35 PM

I have had granite, marble, caesarstone, and a cheaper man made stone in a rental house.

I’ve only had staining issues on the unsealed granite and marble. Once they were sealed, no staining issues on our white marble bench tops. We are not at all precious about our bench tops and have spilt red wine, acid fruit juices, curries, tomato sauces, turmeric, beetroot etc without a problem.

I also have black granite in the kitchen around the sinks and appliances. Again, no staining or chips. The stone mason didn’t bother sealing the Caesarstone because it isn’t porous. It gets a lot of food splatter and we can’t see it. I move hot pots onto the Caesarstone too when I take it off the stove. No problems with that either.

I have white Caesarstone in the laundry and it always cleans up well when I bother to do so. I often have clothes soaking in napisan which gets sloshed onto the benchtoos.  Dirty shoes get left there for cleaning. Greasy clothes etc. It cops a battering but cleans up easily with just water and a wipe over.

I’ve noticed chipping to be more of an issue with squarer edges than rounded edges.

ETA  I agree with the PP who said that they love their oven more than their benchtops. I use my cooktops, oven and dishwashers so much and really appreciate their quality. If cost was an issue, I’d spend on appliances and choose cheaper bench tops. A laminate bench top works just as well as a marble benchtop. A crappy dishwasher would discourage me from using the kitchen.

Edited by can'tstayaway, 21 August 2019 - 05:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.