Stone Benchtops in Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 missrach

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

We are planning a complete kitchen renovation and thought we would lash out and go for stone benchtops rather than laminate. Save money on medium priced appliances and cabinetry but make the benchtop the feature.

On doing some research though both caesarstone and essastone get really bad reviews on product review - like 1.9 stars! I was so surprised. A lot of people say that they are really bad for staining and chipping.

Any thoughts please if you have experience with this?

Thank you.

#2 rileys-mum

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

I have had essa stone for 9 years. I drink red wine and lots of coffee - stone tops are white - and I drop things on them all the time.

No chips and no stains.

#3 Murderino

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:00 PM

The people who built my house put in black stone bench tops. My son chipped it out first week here and it has a circle mark on it - I assume from a hot saucepan but it was here when we moved in.

Also it streams when I wipe it. I hate it.

#4 Apple14

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:05 PM

View Postrileys-mum, on 19 August 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

I have had essa stone for 9 years. I drink red wine and lots of coffee - stone tops are white - and I drop things on them all the time.

No chips and no stains.

This. Still looks amazing.

#5 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

Had caesarstone in the bathroom for 3 years and just had it installed in my kitchen. Yes, you cannot put just off the stove pot on it. However it hasn't chipped, cleans great, you get sent special cleaning stuff kit for free when you register. Don't chose a dark colour if you have any part of the bench in direct sunlight as dark will fade but I love it. My former laminate white bench stained so easily. I guess that people who have stuff go wrong are more likely to leave a review that those who love it.

#6 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM

We have 'white shimmer' Ceasarstone.  There were a couple of stains on it, but I just cleaned it with bleach and it amazingly looks new again.  My only hesitation now would be silicosis which is killing young stonemasons.  For this reason alone, my next kitchen will either have stainless steel or timber bench tops.

#7 wallofdodo

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:18 PM

View PostGumbette, on 19 August 2019 - 04:16 PM, said:

We have 'white shimmer' Ceasarstone.  There were a couple of stains on it, but I just cleaned it with bleach and it amazingly looks new again.  My only hesitation now would be silicosis which is killing young stonemasons.  For this reason alone, my next kitchen will either have stainless steel or timber bench tops.

We just went with compact laminate, we didn't consider stone for that reason .

#8 rileys-mum

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:21 PM

Just to add, have the same product as my kitchen in by bathroom except Black and it never looks clean and streaks bad. I would hate it if it was in the kitchen.

#9 molinero

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

We have a flecked white stone top in our kitchen. Sorry to be useless, but I don't know whether it was Essa Stone or Ceasarstone when it was installed some 5/6 years ago.

Ours has a tiny chip on the edge where I think a heavy pot or saucepan must have come down too hard.

I also find mine gets marks on it really easily if you're not careful. If I get out a bag of frozen blueberries, and even the smallest amount of purple ice lands on the surface, I have to spray a water/metho mixture on it immediately to make sure the stain lifts. Same for red wine. But so far I have managed five years to keep it free from permanent stains.

We are building and the new place will have a darker kitchen stone benchtop for this reason, hopefully hide any tiny stains that could accumulate over time.

#10 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:46 PM

It is really a H& S issue. People not using or not being provided the correct safety equipment and disposable clothing. I mean people can dispose of asbestos as long as they wear the clothing, respirator,etc and in a pressurized air cleaning system. Only have your benches done by a company that cuts in their warehouse with correct equipment and brings to your place.
The problems have been with the builder tradies etc drilling a waste hole etc onsite without any PPE. The bench companies should be set up correctly for cutting. Ask about it when you get a quote if it's important to you and don't take the cheapest quote if they won't assure you as they probably not treating their workers right.</p>

#11 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:49 PM

View Postrileys-mum, on 19 August 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

No chips and no stains.

Same here - very light benchtop, lots of red wine, and curries.  Tumeric can be a nightmare for stains, but benchtops still look great.

There is one small chip near the sink, but I still would go stone over laminate any day.  

I agree with concerns about the silicosis for tradies though.

#12 BelleJay

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:54 PM

View PostMurderino, on 19 August 2019 - 01:00 PM, said:

The people who built my house put in black stone bench tops. My son chipped it out first week here and it has a circle mark on it - I assume from a hot saucepan but it was here when we moved in.

Also it streams when I wipe it. I hate it.

I second this!  I hate black, never again.

Just a tip for you Murderino, I use a metho spray from Bunnings, either lavender or vanilla scented, with paper towel - no streaks!

#13 Crombek

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

We have the essastone version. 4 years & no stains or chips. Well it does stain but the proper cream cleaner has lifted every one. Yes it streaks if you don’t buff it after cleaning but I don’t really care, my windows are way worse.

#14 MrsCee

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:30 PM

We have 'white shimmer' Ceasarstone.  There were a couple of stains on it, but I just cleaned it with bleach and it amazingly looks new again.

I’ve got the same for my benches, waterfall and splash back and pantry bench. Gets the odd stain, but I cover it with bleach a couple times a year and it look brand new, too.

It gets a flogging but it did get one small chip on the edge when I was packing away Christmas platter after too much wine but we had it sanded down and it “disappeared “.

I’ve got plain white in my laundry and a coffee colour in 3 bathrooms and it’s brilliant and so hard wearing, not a mark.

Really happy with it.

#15 katpaws

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:37 PM

We have white caesarstone in the kitchen.

Link

It has been in place for about six years. No marks or stains. I use baking powder or similar to clean (spot cleaning) but Jiff works ok too. You do have be quick on things like curry or spices staining but even the next day stains have come off.

Awesome for making dough.

We have a dark brown in our bathroom. Still love it, have had no problems.

Link

Edited by katpaws, 19 August 2019 - 05:40 PM.

#16 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:55 PM

We cheaped out in the bathrooms with laminate so we could go big on the kitchen benches (And butlers pantry). We also have white shimmer and I find it really easy to clean. There is a small chip but it's been there since the build so I blame the builders. I had them sort out the other defects but that one slipped through to the keeper because hashtag toomanythingsandtoomuchthoughtloadonmyplate.. but generally, nearly a year on, I'm pretty darn happy with it. We aren't overly rough on it. It looks lovely. Just enough sparkle to be pretty but not over the top.

I agree with PP who said that if people have dramas, they tend to be the ones who post reviews etc.

#17 EmmDasher

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:03 PM

Caesarstone (white) and no issues with chips or stains. We have chipped laminate though!

#18 marple

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:13 PM

I must be a doofus as I have chipped the edge of my caesarstone more than once. I do, on the otherhand put hot pans straight on it and never had a problem.
I would never buy again , after hearing about the silicosis, until the issue is fixed, which will probably be years away.

#19 lozoodle

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postmarple, on 19 August 2019 - 06:13 PM, said:

I must be a doofus as I have chipped the edge of my caesarstone more than once. I do, on the otherhand put hot pans straight on it and never had a problem.
I would never buy again , after hearing about the silicosis, until the issue is fixed, which will probably be years away.

Silicosis wont be an issue for the user, its just excessive dust created when the stonemasons are cutting it. Its no issue for the people in the home, even if it chips :)

If you want to avoid it though, you just need to use 100% real stone not manufactured stone like caesarstone etc.

Edited by lozoodle, 19 August 2019 - 06:18 PM.

#20 Gumbette

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

I was thinking about using granite but heard it’s the same problem to a lesser extent?

#21 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:28 PM

I disagree with this.  There is so much more known about particle distribution and disease, and things that can be put in place to keep employees safe.  Companies would be mad not to.

There may be some small shonky places that don't provide appropriate PPE to meet OHS laws.  As long as it is somewhere reputable, they should be manufacturing in safe conditions.

To the PP  - I didn't mention that I have it in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry.  Both white and a 'coffee" type colour.  Love it in all areas, and no problems in any.  It's especially good for the kids bathroom, with a teenage girl - hot hair irons, makeup etc.

#22 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:29 PM

View PostGumbette, on 19 August 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I was thinking about using granite but heard it’s the same problem to a lesser extent?

We rented a house with granite benches whilst building the current ceasar/essa stone house.  (Can't remember which one we have now).

I found the granite much harder to deal with.  It was more porous, so seemed to require much more maintenance.

#23 ~garnet~

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:32 PM

I'm seeing the caesarstone ad at the top of this thread.

Can't comment on the caesarstone, but the advertising
algorithms on EB have almost reached facebook standards!

#24 purplekitty

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:33 PM

We’ve had granite for years,looks as good as the day it was put in.

#25 SFmummyto3

Posted 19 August 2019 - 06:39 PM

Love the stone benchtops. But I will emphasise to absolutely NOT get the matte finish, it's terrible and you will have permanent water marks. Just ensure you choose a glossy finish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.