Jumpsuit logistics

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Silver Girl

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:41 PM

I saw a jumpsuit in a shop window earlier today. I’ve read that they are flattering for a range of body shapes, and have considered buying one.

The thing that holds me back from buying a jumpsuit relates to the practicalities of going to the toilet. In particular, the thought of the fabric draping on the floor of a less than clean public bathroom.

How do you manage this task in a jumpsuit?

#2 CallMeFeral

Posted 16 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

Like with pants, but with more bunching at the top. Hard to describe, but I bunch pants up at the top to stop the lower bits touching the ground - the top half of the jumpsuit just gets held in that bunch.

#3 gettin my fance on

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 16 August 2019 - 11:48 PM, said:

Like with pants, but with more bunching at the top. Hard to describe, but I bunch pants up at the top to stop the lower bits touching the ground - the top half of the jumpsuit just gets held in that bunch.

This.

In public toilets, even with just long pants I pull the lower leg fabric up and secure the fabric between my knees so that it doesn't pool on the ground.

Edited by WTFancie shmancie, 17 August 2019 - 12:12 AM.

#4 #mocha

Posted 17 August 2019 - 07:11 AM

I tie the top half of the jumpsuit with the arms just under my knees

#5 literally nobody

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:55 AM

I can’t say i think anyone looks flattering in a jumpsuit unless you’re thin.

#6 Caribou

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:01 AM

View Postliterally nobody, on 17 August 2019 - 10:55 AM, said:

Yes. This.

#7 Ellie bean

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:30 AM

Or under 12.

#8 Let-it-go

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostEllie bean, on 17 August 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

Or under 12.

What a load of rubbish.  There are some beautiful flowy ones with wide legs and gathered at the waist that look absolutely fabulous on larger figures.  The really short ones probably aren’t for everyone but the long ones are absolutely not age or weight specific.  

But as for the toilet thing....lol.....yes they are a bit of a pain.  But it’s the same with a long skirt or flowy trousers, you just kind hitch them up in the legs first.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:27 PM

I was anti jumpsuit for ages, felt like I was wearing a onesie. But I've slowly converted, there is just something about them that can look really elegant or fun and dressy without being all the way to a dress.

#10 hunter4

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:54 AM

I've been wearing them lots recently - I've found I don't like wearing things with waistbands (Pants and shorts) and dresses aren't always sensible so I've turned to jumpsuits and I've decided I really love them.  I've never really noticed any issues keeping them off the floor in the bathroom - just treat them like any pants.

My only real rule is I never wear them when It's cold enough for a jumper as that is too much of a pain.  But I do have at least one long sleeve one for cooler weather.

#11 Ayr

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:04 AM

I have to agree. Or perhaps it's just people who don't suit them I see wearing them. The only place I've ever seen them look good is in the advertising. I have seen people who would look stunning even in a paper bag.. But then they put on a jumpsuit and it's the one thing they don't look great in.

Interested to see these "flowy" ones though because I've never seen anyone look good in a jumpsuit so I'm not sure I've seen the ones referred to as being flowy.

#12 Let-it-go

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:08 AM

View PostAyr, on 18 August 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

Interested to see these "flowy" ones though because I've never seen anyone look good in a jumpsuit so I'm not sure I've seen the ones referred to as being flowy.

Like this:
https://shop.spellde...ia-jumpsuit-red

https://shop.spellde...y-pantsuit-navy

https://www.kivari.c...o-rust-jumpsuit

#13 Ayr

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

I guess if they're more like a dress they might be ok. Never seen one out and about or maybe never noticed because it looks like a dress

#14 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

i’ve always been a bit hesitant about jump suits - too many memories of the ABBA gals doing waterloo - but they are very “on trend” now. i tried one on....similar to the ones posted above....spaghetti straps, kind of loose around the torso, then wide legged pants. i have a little bit of a tummy so i was worried but it looked ok on me. i’m still thinking about it. it’s the kind of thing i would wear and my kids would go “muuuum - what are you wearing ???” but....who cares what they think...

#15 Let-it-go

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

Lol.....the older I get the less I care about what I wear. I absolutely love Spell clothes above as I just feel so flowery and comfortable in these beautiful fabrics.  I’ll even ‘double pattern’ :laugh:.  My kids are used to it and now the more flowers I wear the more they love them.

My DH on the other hand.....:laugh:.  He just has this wtf are you wearing look on his face but he just laughs.

Today I’m wearing flowery gym leggings with a denim mini and a furry jacket.  I’m all retro fluff and flowers!

#16 Let-it-go

Posted 18 August 2019 - 09:25 AM

View Posthunter4, on 18 August 2019 - 02:54 AM, said:

My only real rule is I never wear them when It's cold enough for a jumper as that is too much of a pain.  But I do have at least one long sleeve one for cooler weather.

Try wearing a fitted top or roll neck under the jumpsuit.  It can look really nice and makes it more versatile.

#17 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 August 2019 - 01:01 AM

View PostAyr, on 18 August 2019 - 07:04 AM, said:

I love this one Posted Image

I bought it - would not say it looks QUITE like that on me, but I still love it!

#18 Let-it-go

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

Oh CMF I absolutely love that.  The splits up the legs are fabulous!  Where is it from?

#19 Hands Up

Posted 19 August 2019 - 07:51 AM

Oooh that’s pretty yes where is it from?

I have one that is mid thigh length with three quarter sleeves and I think it looks quite nice.....

#20 ~J_F~

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:53 AM

I am one of those people who looks like they are wearing a nappy in a jumpsuit.

When they look good, they look good. When they look bad, they look really bad.

Considering I wear a muscle tank and shorts most days, I am not the target audience or in a position to judge :lol:

#21 CallMeFeral

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:25 PM

View PostLet-it-go, on 19 August 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

Oh CMF I absolutely love that.  The splits up the legs are fabulous!  Where is it from?

Oops sorry, it was a Portmans one but from last season. Just dug up the photo because I remember adoring the photos and then went and bought it. Actually turns out that that whole run had issues with the chiffon coming unstitched, but I decided to just repair mine rather than returning and getting a refund (couldn't exchange as they all had the fault) because I loved it so much.
I think they've occasionally had ones in a similar style, but that one was particularly lovely I think. More Abba than gazelle on me, but still nice I think!

#22 MessyJ

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

I agree they CAN look terrible (all seems to depend on the length of that crotch seam!!) and I've tried on many which I have to take off so quickly because even I'm embarrassed by how it looks in the dressing room mirror!! :D

But I have found 3 or 4 I love, and they're so easy and fun to wear!

I do admit, I have actually just taken the whole thing off in the toilet before if I don't think I can keep it from touching the floor. Mine all have wide legs and quite flowy so sometimes easier just to step out of it to go to the toilet, and hang it over my handbag (if there's a peg on the door!) otherwise hold.

#23 can'tstayaway

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:42 PM

I love jumpsuits. Maybe I’ve never grown up in a sartorial sense because I remember wearing them as a child and I’m still wearing them now.

I avoid using public bathrooms as much as possible so don’t often encounter this problem.

For a robust fabric, I’ll scrunch around the knees like a PP. It doesn’t work for fabrics that will wrinkle and crease because you’ll come out looking like you’ve been rolling around inappropriately.

For delicate silks and wrinkly fabrics, I will take the whole thing off and hang it up.

#24 kimasa

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

I think they suit more people than they don't, but I think they can be tricky to size, which is the problem.

I'm usually a size bigger in bottoms than I am in tops because I've got wide hips for my frame, so I definitely tried on a few duds before I found the cut and size that works for me.

#25 PrincessPeach

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:36 PM

I love them, but have only ever found 1 that fitted.

I have a long torso, most jumpsuits either leave me with serious cleavage exposure or an epic camel toe (its not a pretty look).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.