Book week dress up

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#226 Team Awesome

Posted 23 August 2019 - 02:51 PM

One of mine went as Morrigan Crow the other went as a book fairy which was a way of reducing, reusing and recycling by way of using up some books which had been let’s just say overly loved and beyond repair but kept for sentimental reasons froms when the kids were younger. I turned them into a tutu skirt and wings using a stapler and ribbon we had laying around. DD3 was thrilled to win given all the kids in store bought costumes she thought looked better than hers.

Edited by Team Awesome, 23 August 2019 - 02:52 PM.

#227 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 August 2019 - 03:35 PM

Can anybody recommend me some characters which are either hideously easy to dress up in or or just basically wearing normal every day clothes?

We have nothing, and my kids don't seem that interested, but I'd rather they make some token effort rather than just go in mufti.

#228 ipsee

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:09 PM

Have they read The Turners where the family turn into lizards/dinosaurs?

You can do that with green rubber glove dino hands and a tail if you have one and normal clothes.

Heidi, Swiss Family Robinson (scruffy clothes) (or Robinso Crusoe), LIttle Women, LIttle red riding hood (if you have anything red or with a hood), and a basket.

#229 MrsCee

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:11 PM

Gender? Age?

Upper primary girl? Any character from The Babysitters Club? Typical teenage girl clothes???

#230 Riotproof

Posted 23 August 2019 - 04:34 PM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 23 August 2019 - 03:35 PM, said:

Can anybody recommend me some characters which are either hideously easy to dress up in or or just basically wearing normal every day clothes?

We have nothing, and my kids don't seem that interested, but I'd rather they make some token effort rather than just go in mufti.

Harry Potter characters in muggle clothes?

#231 BECZ

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

Damn!  I thought we had escaped it! (New school)
I was surprised that they hadn't planned anything, but thought, you never know!

Nope.  Today they bring home a note for Thursday!
Grrrrrr!

DD2 is happy to wear her Red Riding hood costume, DS2 is happy to wear one of his many superhero costumes (if infants are involved.  He's been home most of the week with the flu along with me) and DS1 has an 'It' costume he can wear, he says he's just going to wear mufti.  We'll see!  
Still not feeling crash hot, so don't really have the energy to argue or care too much at the moment.

Edited by BECZ, 23 August 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#232 Mose

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:40 PM

So let's be clear, I did not endeavour to verify my instructions.

But apparently jeans, black t shirt, checked shirt (obtained from op shop, but one of his Dad's would have worked, on reflection) and the all important red notebook referenced in my earlier post = main character from "middle school, the worst years of my life", by James Patterson.

#233 frazzle

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:41 PM

I will own up to being a book week tragic - my kids still let me dress them up but I reckon this might be the last year.
Miss 15 went as Crowley and her friend as Aziraphel from Good Omens. Got bargains at op shops included jacket for $2 and NineWest boots for $15 (that she can wear later).
Miss 12 will be Major Meowser from Catstronauts. White jumper, white leggings, furry ears, a cereal box painted up as as backpack thingy that astronauts wear.
Master 12 will be Mark Whatney from The Martian.$12 biohazard suit from Bunnings painted up to look like the spacesuit, $6 NASA tee shirt on sale from K Mart. I want him to carry duct tape and a potato but he said that's not cool (!)
We have books in every room of the house. Miss 15 is not a big reader, Miss 12 has learning disabilities but we all still think its fun.
BUT I completely respect people who don't like it or it isn't their bag. Just enjoy the costumes from us crazies who do!!!

#234 frazzle

Posted 23 August 2019 - 05:43 PM

Here's an idea if you have black clothes and a black trilby hat  - someone at my daughter's school dressed up as Peter Pan's shadow!!!

#235 It's Percy

Posted 23 August 2019 - 06:35 PM

Judy Moody and her little brother Stink. My daughter who is 9 went as Judy Moody today. In the first book, Judy wants to have tshirt from her summer vacation but her family didn't go anywhere special. They just went to the beach and had fish and chips which her dad told her was shark. So she draws on her own white tshirt "I ate a shark" and a picture of a shark. Done!!

Or you could just wear normal clothes and say you're Judy or Stink!

If I knew how to put a photo on here I would!

Edited by It's Percy, 23 August 2019 - 06:36 PM.

#236 CallMeFeral

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:32 PM

View PostMrsCee, on 23 August 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

Gender? Age?

Upper primary girl? Any character from The Babysitters Club? Typical teenage girl clothes???

Girl 10 Boy 9. That's good, she does read babysitters club!
Apparently DS is going to draw the diary of the wimpy kid face on a card so that should sort him out if I can find card.

View Postfrazzle, on 23 August 2019 - 05:43 PM, said:

Here's an idea if you have black clothes and a black trilby hat  - someone at my daughter's school dressed up as Peter Pan's shadow!!!

That's great!

#237 JBH

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:51 PM

Jeans and an orange t-shirt with sword = someone from Camp Halfblood in the Percy Jackson books (there are male and female characters)

Lots of sportspeople have written books - go in the uniform of whatever sport you play and find a book

Probably a bit old now but my son once chose to go as Hey Jack from the Jack books, which required shorts and a t-shirt

Ballet outfit is a character from the Sadler’s Wells series or a Noel Streatfield novel

Horse riding kit is a character from the Saddle Cub

#238 Murderino

Posted 23 August 2019 - 08:52 PM

DD was Dawn from The Babysitters Club - so easy.

Our school had two boys dress as the boys from The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas. One had striped PJs and a piece of temporary fencing, the other just had shorts, a short and vest.

#239 annodam

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:17 PM

View Postfrazzle, on 23 August 2019 - 05:41 PM, said:

I will own up to being a book week tragic - my kids still let me dress them up but I reckon this might be the last year.
Miss 15 went as Crowley and her friend as Aziraphel from Good Omens. Got bargains at op shops included jacket for $2 and NineWest boots for $15 (that she can wear later).
Miss 12 will be Major Meowser from Catstronauts. White jumper, white leggings, furry ears, a cereal box painted up as as backpack thingy that astronauts wear.
Master 12 will be Mark Whatney from The Martian.$12 biohazard suit from Bunnings painted up to look like the spacesuit, $6 NASA tee shirt on sale from K Mart. I want him to carry duct tape and a potato but he said that's not cool (!)
We have books in every room of the house. Miss 15 is not a big reader, Miss 12 has learning disabilities but we all still think its fun.
BUT I completely respect people who don't like it or it isn't their bag. Just enjoy the costumes from us crazies who do!!!

Wow, Book Week in HS, God I would die if our School participated past Yr 6!
DDs Book Week only went up to Yr 4, then a few years ago, the new Principal decided part of the Middle School should also be involved, so now it's up to Yr 6.
I doubt DS will go as anything from this point anyway, so he too will finish up at Yr 4.

#240 ~J_F~

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:20 PM

Our high school does it. A lot of the kids get involved, they seem to sort their own costumes out, no parent input needed!

#241 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 23 August 2019 - 11:57 PM

View PostJBH, on 23 August 2019 - 08:51 PM, said:

Jeans and an orange t-shirt with sword = someone from Camp Halfblood in the Percy Jackson books (there are male and female characters)

And you get extra wear out of the harmony day t-shirt - winner!

#242 Riotproof

Posted 29 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

Out in the bitter cold today, we had our book week parade. So much excitement was bubbling around, kids looked so cute.

We discovered ds’s jeans are size 7 and do not fit.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.