Potato bake

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 eponee

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:52 AM

Which is the best potato to use for potato bake?  I've looked at a few recipes and the types of potatoes used has me confused - one uses desiree, another sebago, another uses russet

Better still, post your recipe for the best potato bake EVER

#2 Ayr

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:05 AM

I use white baby potatoes because I'm too lazy to peel and cut thinly leaving skin on. I have used a variety in the past though and all taste fine so I personally don't think it matters.

And recipe I didn't know there was a recipe I just do the potatoes with cream over them, add garlic over that and then cheese. Interested to see recipes and other ways of doing it because I didn't know there was any I just thought potato bake was potato bake.

#3 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:13 AM

Dutch cream if you can get them. I don’t peel, just clean.

I combine cream, garlic, chicken noodle soup mix. Pour it over the potatoes. Cover with cheese and bake. Bloody delicious.

We are so having potato bake this week sometime.

#4 AliasMater

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:22 AM

I use whatever I have and often 70/30 with sweet potato in the mix. Yum!

#5 doubledelight

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:23 AM

View PostAliasMater, on 15 August 2019 - 08:22 AM, said:

I use whatever I have and often 70/30 with sweet potato in the mix. Yum!

Agree with this.  I also like to use different coloured potatoes, wash and leave the skin on to add colour to the dish.  I also add diced bacon and spring onions and fresh flat leaf parsley for the same reason.

#6 BECZ

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:45 AM

I like to sprinkle a bit of French Onion soup mix along with bacon, cheese and cream.

So going to add some garlic next time!

Edited by BECZ, 15 August 2019 - 09:46 AM.

#7 EmmDasher

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

I don’t use a recipe. Any potatoes are fine but Dutch creams would work really well and not go crumbly.

I dice an onion, bacon & garlic and fry off in butter. I layer potato with that mix & cheese/cream & shallot or sometimes paprika/salt/pepper like lasagne.

#8 klr75

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:21 AM

No idea what type of potato should be used, I just use whatever is in my cupboard.  I also like to add sweet potato, if I have them.

Layer potato/sweet potato, onion and diced bacon, then cover with a mix of cream (will top up with milk if not enough cream, if it's a runny mix I add corn flour to wet mix), spring vegetable soup mix, garlic, mixed herbs and seasoning. Handful of cheese on top and bake.

If I'm making potato bake at home just for the family, I will use evaporated milk instead of cream (usually add corn flour as I find it runnier than cream) - not as nice as full fat cream, but still good, just not as naughty!  I've even made one before using coconut cream, as that's all I had in the cupboard, and everyone loved it!

I have also made potato bake with using french onion soup mix, and another with a taco seasoning mix (instead of spring vegetable) - which everyone also all loved.  As you can tell, I usually just raid my pantry and make it work - never had a complaint!!!

#9 klr75

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:24 AM

When I made the coconut milk one, I also added turmeric, and curry powder!  I also forgot I always throw in smoked paprika in all my potato bakes too!

Edited by klr75, 15 August 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#10 eponee

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:45 AM

The coconut milk/curry one sound delicious.  Did you use curry paste or powder?  I might make that.  

Thanks for everyones suggestions :)

Edited by eponee, 15 August 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#11 sahmie

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

I made one with diced potato this week. So much quicker to prep, and cooked more evenly I reckon. Won’t go back to fiddly slices. I just get whatever white potato is available/around.
Milk, cream, pepper, bacon, garlic, Colby, and Parmesan, and in the last 20mims, topped with panko crumbs and more cheese for a nice crust on top.

#12 klr75

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:35 PM

View Posteponee, on 15 August 2019 - 11:45 AM, said:

The coconut milk/curry one sound delicious.  Did you use curry paste or powder?  I might make that.  

Thanks for everyones suggestions :)

I just used powder, but if you had paste, that would be better!!

#13 Lucrezia Borgia

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:25 PM

i think waxy ones....i use the pink skinned ones (can’t remember what they’re called). i peel them.

i run a half clove of garlic on my gratin dish, slice the potatoes with a mandolin, layer it up - i’m quite generous with the malden salt (potato’s need salt i think - but i wouldn’t if you were using a FOS mix) freshly cracked black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg over it. pouring cream...then bake at around 200 degrees until brown.

#14 jp251014

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:52 PM

We do minced garlic on the bottom then layers of potato and diced bacon. Cream over the top of last potato layer and then cheese on top.

Don’t use a specific type of potato, just what’s on special at the time.

#15 BBC

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:36 PM

Mine is pretty basic.

I do a layer of potato, salt pepper, tasty cheese.
Repeat 3 or 4 times. Mix cream and milk in about equal quantities and pour over. Add cheese on top.

Bake.  Yum.

#16 JustBeige

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:02 PM

I used to be all about the layers and the look.  Lol now i just throw it all in.

My most used one (most requested) is the FOS one. I use the coles brand packet. It just gives a nicer flavour.  That combined with pepper+cooking cream+milk +cheese always works. Use enough cream/milk to make a good portion of sauce covering the pots completely.  Optional: sweet pot/bacon/broccoli.

My other one is potato + bacon + pumpkin soup.(plus cheese).

My brother likes to do that one with fat chunks of chat potatos.

The most important tip. Cook the potatoes first. It stops the milk from splitting.

#17 lizzzard

Posted 15 August 2019 - 09:10 PM

Desiree!! I like the waxiness and pretty colour.

#18 ~Vanilla Bean~

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

I always use FOS in mine, with the milk, cream and cheese and bacon. It's naughty and I pay for it later so I only make it sometimes and only eat a bit. It's so damn good though! I use any potatoes I have and put sweet potato in too as PP's have mentioned. Haven't done panko on top, but i thnk i will next time! Crunchy potato bake...get in my belly!!

#19 Demera

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:45 PM

What's FOS?

#20 ~J_WTF~

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:47 PM

French onion soup...

#21 Ellie bean

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:48 PM

^^french onion soup mix
Eta yiu beat me to it jf!

Edited by Ellie bean, 15 August 2019 - 11:49 PM.

#22 MurderBritches

Posted 16 August 2019 - 12:03 AM

Whatever potatoes i have here.

I parboil them and cover with a mix of cream, sour cream,  chicken or vegie stock powder combined to taste and sprinkle over cheese. Maybe shallots if I have them.Bake until bubbling. Never any left here.

Parboiling cuts the cooking time by half.

#23 eachschoolholidays

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

I made potato bake as part of Christmas lunch one year. In addition to the usual cream and hint of garlic it had small pieces of butter mixed through and thyme. It was sensational!

#24 Chelara

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:43 AM

The last one I made I just did a bechemel sauce and I had sour cream, so I dolloped that through. I always fry up bacon, onion, garlic. I do layers of thin potato (parcooked) and I leave the skin on. I top with loads of cheese and fresh chives. My kids won’t eat potato bake so that was the first time in years that I’d made one. Usually I do cream (and no bechemel) but because I only had sour cream I changed it up.

#25 can'tstayaway

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

I use Dutch creams or Desiree. The waxy potatoes hold up better to the cooking.

I gently fry off some golden shallot and pancetta in a bit of butter until it’s softened and rendered some fat. Then add some garlic. Sweat that off too. Pour in a tub of pure cream, add in a bay leaf, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Then I put in the potato slices. I like them a bit thicker rather than the traditional thin slices. I cook them on the stove top for a bit until the cream has thickened and the potatoes have softened. Then I gently push in some grated gruyere cheese and turn off the cooktop. I sprinkle the top with a mix of coarse breadcrumbs and more gruyere and Parmesan. Bake in a hot oven for 30mins or cool and freeze for later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.