Thoughts on McDonalds parties

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 ~ Ohana~

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:12 PM

My little girl is turning 5 in September and I’m trying to organize her party. We go away for a week to Hamilton island the week before her birthday, so we would literally get home on Saturday then have a party on Sunday!

We recently went to our local McDonald’s which has a new 6story play place. Looking at the party info it seems really cheap ($10 a head). But I’m wondering what people’s opinions would be? One sister said fine, one sister said crappy food (probably no worse than most party food though), one sister said gross! Another option is a dancing party, but I’d be looking at $300+

Her last party ended up costing $500... I don’t want to make the same mistake.

Also, our home isn’t really suitable for a large number of guests! I guess I could do a park party, but knowing our luck it would rain!

#2 Hands Up

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

My kids would attend and have a great time :-) I considered it myself (cheap and easy) but our local Maccas stopped doing parties.

#3 seayork2002

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:15 PM

Sounds great to me

#4 Ali1976

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:18 PM

Sounds great. Do whatever suits you. I never think about where the party is at .... kids just love to be with their friends and play! Hope it goes well. 😀

#5 Bereckii

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

Is this for DD and her friends to have fun together? Then McDonald's is fine. The kids will have fun.

If it is also about extended family (including adults) getting together to celebrate, then maybe another option (e.g. another venue or park, etc) would be more suitable.

#6 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:19 PM

We’ve had one and been to quite a few.  At 5 yrs old, they are a great option - kids love them and they are relatively cheap and so easy.

#7 28 Barbary Lane

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:22 PM

After we went to three maccas kindy parties in a row that was how we decided to hold DDs 5th birthday there. It was winter so had to be indoors. We had a tiny apartment so that wasn’t an option to have it there.

It was great! She invited everyone she wanted as the price was right and there was enough room, it was close to everyone so easy to get to, had heaps of parking so no dramas there, brought our own cake, had a few extra random kids so just added them on the spot, and she had a great time with her friends.

You are always going to get different opinions as some people have way higher budgets and bigger houses but if you don’t, they are a pretty good deal!

#8 sarahec

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:29 PM

They are cheap, the kids have a ball, no cleanup, and 90 minutes in length, what’s not to love!?

#9 literally nobody

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:32 PM

big yes from me. food is hardly any worse than anywhere else.

#10 Mollyksy

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:37 PM

Go for it! We went to one for a 4 year old and the parents hired a face painter the mum said was really cheap. They brought their own cake in. Kids got to choose nuggets or burger. DS had a ball. We just had his last party at home and it cost a fortune as all the little stuff added up. Next year we are back to a play centre or even maccas if he wants. Fixed cost. Someone else does the food and cleans up. What's not to love?!!

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:39 PM

View PostAli1976, on 13 August 2019 - 10:18 PM, said:

Sounds great. Do whatever suits you. I never think about where the party is at .... kids just love to be with their friends and play! Hope it goes well.
agree with this

#12 LucyGoose

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

I do know a few families that are strict on no McDonald’s!  I’m sure the kids eat hot chips and nuggets at other parties, but I wonder if you might get a few declines.
My kids eat Maccas and would love it,  not sure they do the parties at our local.  $10 a head is such a good price and I would go for it.

#13 Jenflea

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:48 PM

I love a maccas party!
No clean up, food most people can eat(I'm sure their chips are allergy safe) and it's inside, with a play area.
Win all round in my book.

#14 WTFancie shmancie

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:54 PM

don't invite your sisters.

Long time ago now, but DD loved going to McDonalds parties.

#15 Prancer is coming

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:02 PM

I used to hate the idea of Maccas parties.  Then my kid had one last year!

It was cheap and easy.  They ended up only charging me for what everyone ate rather than a flat price per head price.  And they also let me bring other food for before the meal was served.  So I had a few jugs of water, fruit platter and chips out.

I had been to a few where the party host was not much chop.  Often a teen with no real idea or confidence to manage small groups of over excited kids.  We got lucky and the host we had was great, he came with balloons and made heaps of balloon animals.  Even if the host is a dud, the kids will have fun running around in the play ground.

There is the odd person who will not let their child attend because it is macdonalds.  Personally I don’t think the food is anything worse than what you would get at a party.

#16 MarigoldMadge

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

I’ll admit to declining a party invite because it was at Macca’s, and there were declines from other families as well.

That was during our puritanical parenting days; now, I think after 10 years of birthday parties, with all the work and $$ I’ve put in, genius.

#17 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:17 PM

Wow that's cheap. Their food is in par with what you get at a play centre so I say do it.

#18 76 others

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:39 PM

My kids  are waaay past maccas parties but they both had one and by memory, hungry jacks was even cheaper.

So easy and who cares if people say no. Can't please everyone.

#19 Ellie bean

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:40 PM

We did one last year, was so awesome we are doing another one. Cheap and easy, most kids don’t eat the food at parties anyway, food was no worse than most play centres in any case. If parents who are too precious for it decline, that’s another win :)

#20 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:08 AM

I read this title with trepidation and thought "I'm not sure I'd ask that on EB".

Came in with the authority (and sometimes arrogance) of "I have teenagers, don't sweat the small stuff" attitude and was all set to encourage you and give you support......

And I don't need to!  Honestly, Maccas parties are the best!  They can meet many dietary issues (other than on a health basis, but many allergies are catered to),  and kids with other diet issues can generally consume their own food anyway.  

Ultimately, the kids have a fantastic, loud, noisy, messy time.  Parents tolerate it and have a bit of a chat.  You go home with no mess, and the cost is affordable.  What's not to love????

And as 'that' parent of two now - teenagers, I've done a huge variety of parties.  At home, play centres, home made cakes, store bought cakes...... do my kids remember any?  Nah.

the only one DD remembers is the one I cancelled for bad behaviour when she was 7.  She still talks about that one!!!    ( And she still doesn't know I'd never gotten around to even organising it!

#21 AnythingGoes

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:31 AM

I think they are great - cheap, easy & DS has had a great time at the ones he has been to.  

However you might need to book soon. I was keen on one for DS this year but all the slots were booked out when I looked about 6 weeks prior.

#22 nom_de_plume

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:24 AM

DD has been to a couple this year (FYOS). She had never eaten McDonalds before but that didn’t prevent me from letting her go because as PP have pointed out, it’s no worse than other party food (which she generally won’t eat either).

The kids got to choose their order so she had water and apple slices with her burger (which she didn’t eat), and the hosts bought the parents coffees. There are so many more menu choices these days. DD was more interested in the playground than anything else!

#23 WTFJerk

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:27 AM

Oh gosh yes. Especially at that age

#24 IamzFeralz

Posted 14 August 2019 - 05:28 AM

I think it’s a great idea that solves your problem of having just returned back from holidays.

#25 Holidayromp

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

Team hell no.  It’s just so impersonal.  Maccas parties no way. There is a reason why they are so cheap compared to other places.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.