Trunkis

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 maryanneK

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:55 PM

Interested to hear people's thoughts and experiences with trunki s? They just look like a suitcase with wheels that a kid could sit on..... We're doing long haul with 3 kids in a few months, ages 6, 4 and 1...are they worth the hype or just one more thing to drag around?
My gut feeling would be to take a biggish cabin bag that fits toys and clothes etc for all 3 kids and just carry it myself.?

#2 Just Jack

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:56 PM

Cute, but just one more thing to drag around.

Go with your gut ☺

#3 ERipley

Posted 13 August 2019 - 09:57 PM

Edited by ERipley, 19 August 2019 - 08:38 PM.

#4 OliviaVivian

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:00 PM

Another saying don’t do it.
We found the side clasps painful too - popping off when you’re not wanting them too etc 👎🏼

#5 Expelliarmus

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:02 PM

I saw this on our recent travels https://mountainbugg...er#.XVKmiegzbIU it looked quite useful.

#6 Ellie bean

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:04 PM

When I fly alone with our 2 I find a single backpack for me is best, then I’ve got hands free to hold their hands etc

#7 Babetty

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:08 PM

Don't do it. The clamshell style opening means it's a pain to get things in and out of during flight, and my DS was too tired to ride it and it's a pain to carry.

Suggest you get smallish backpacks for the 4 and 6 year olds so they can each have a few toys and favourite teddy / comforter etc accessible, in addition to "main" cabin bag  - keep them at their feet, not in overhead locker.

#8 eachschoolholidays

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:42 PM

I'll go against the grain and say that my kids were quite attached to their trunkis.  The trunkis travelled through Asia and Europe a number of times.
When the kids were were 8 & 10, I finally convinced them to swap to a backpack but there were a number of wistful comments about the trunkis on the most recent trip.
They were very handy in long immigration queues too ;)

Edited by eachschoolholidays, 13 August 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#9 Apageintime

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:51 PM

Don't do it. So so annoying to carry around. They don't store much at all. Real pain to open on flights

#10 CallMeFeral

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:55 PM

It has limited use. It doesn't fit much, doesn't squash well, doesn't fit under the seat in front of the child, and can't be carried hands free like a backpack.

BUT that said, I really appreciated it when I was travelling alone with 2 small kids. There was too much hand luggage 'stuff' to fit in one backpack, which meant I needed the 3yo to 'carry' some stuff, and pulling the Trunki was within their competence, plus with the long walkways and the wierd arrival hours it gave me an option at the "mummy my legs are tired" stage. I had the small one in an Ergo and couldn't have pushed one of the mini airport strollers they give you after you've checked yours in, so the bigger one either pulling or on the Trunki.

On a later trip they both rode the one Trunki, and again it was really helpful having a set of wheels for the long walkways when the stroller had already been checked in (they had 'airport' strollers but this is useless if you have two kids to push). There was a really embarassing moment in front of a crowd of people when I took a corner too sharply and they both fell off and started crying - felt like the suckiest parent. But at the other end I was extremely glad when it turned out my budget airline that landed at 3am was actually like 1km from the terminal - there is no way the little one could have walked that distance just woken from sleep, the other little one was being carried, and if I hadn't been able to drag her on the Trunki I don't know what we'd have done. So it really came into it's own for those periods when your stroller is checked in but you still have distance to cover.

But if they don't need to ride on it (i.e. the 6yo), it's not a good bag to get. They'd be better off with a small backpack.  You need to mainly be getting it for that riding function, which is useful in specific scenarios. And the 4yo might already be too big for that, and the 1yo too small...

#11 AliasMater

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:43 AM

They are good to use for their clothes on a short trip. I would never use it to store on board snacks and entertainment. The 50/50 clam style opening means everything falls out.

#12 .Jerry.

Posted 14 August 2019 - 06:53 AM

DD had one for a few trips.  She loved it.  We did use it for her to sit on in the airports and in queues.
We had it packed with onboard games/toys.  We had the insert that attached to back of seat in front, which was very useful.

We didn't find it any worse than any other large on-board piece of luggage.

#13 Bugster

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

If I had one or two kids I would love them but I travelled recently with 4 kids & a couple of trunkis , biggest pain ever

#14 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

Really only useful for a short time period of age 2 to 4 years as they get too big to ride them. Was great for that time at the airport when little legs got tired and couldn't walk fast enough or standing in a line. However we never opened it on the plane, too big and hard.

#15 maryanneK

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

thank you everyone!
EB is awesome
very useful - thanks

#16 BornToLove

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:00 PM

We travelled recently and saw a little boy who had a mini suitcase with a scooter attached. I don’t know how to describe it, like a three wheel scooter but a kiddy sized suitcase on the front. It looked quite smart if travelling with a toddler/preschooler.

#17 Burro

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:46 PM

My two liked them. I only ever travelled with one trunki and the youngest rode it. I did a bit of long haul travel so it was useful for pulling along tired kids and long connections and queues. As another PP said. It cut down the whining in queues. Airports can be hard for little kids.

On the plane I put stuff in it that I wouldn’t need much, like change of clothes.

At some points though you will need to carry it so i didn’t ever buy more than one.

#18 tenar

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:15 PM

We used a single trunki extensively when travelling with 2 kids aged around 3 and 5.  It was great to pull them along on (they both fitted and we had to take turns with that, though the 3yo got more time since smaller legs etc).  

It made a good seat for them while waiting, eg in slow moving queues to get through passport control etc.

It also made a good "active" toy for them during waiting around in airports and at places we travelled to on that tip.

We used it to carry things like changes of clothes on the plane, so not something that needed opening all the time: it's a reasonable size for that.  The kids also had teeny backpaks (the smallest size of kathmandu ones) for some toys.

Everyone was sad when we passed Trunki on to another family...

#19 gracie1978

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:33 AM

Depends how good your kids are at walking.
My son is really good so we didn't bother.  We also got rid of his pram quite early, I think just before he turned 3.
I just take a backpack.  Now he is 4 he also takes a pack of his stuff.

However after travelling  with my friends son I can see why she bought it.  He complained constantly about walking, waiting in lines etc.  It was their first trip without it.

I also time our travel so we go during the day and I avoid multiple flights in a day.  That way he isn't too tired.  Theyre more active and ambitious  travellers,  so  fit more in.

#20 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 15 August 2019 - 07:48 AM

View PostBornToLove, on 14 August 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

We travelled recently and saw a little boy who had a mini suitcase with a scooter attached. I don’t know how to describe it, like a three wheel scooter but a kiddy sized suitcase on the front. It looked quite smart if travelling with a toddler/preschooler.

Sort of similar but check out Micro scooters, they have Eazy luggage which is a rolling case kids can ride on. But I have also seen the scooter mentioned abive as well.

#21 Blue Shoe

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

Got a Trunki when DD was about 18mo and it really didn’t work well. Tried it again when she was about 3, thinking maybe she had been too young. Nope. Still a terrible idea. In fact, I felt so strongly about our second Trunki travelling experience that I got home and wrote an anti-Trunki review! (Never actually posted it anywhere, just needed to get it out of my system - and make sure I never thought taking a Trunki would be a good idea ever again. From memory my first draft was somewhat more strongly worded...!)

The Trunki is a great idea but has serious design flaws that make the inconveniences of the product outweigh the benefits.

The product is made out of a fairly solid plastic, but not so enough that I feel comfortable checking it for plane travel, which is annoying when you realise you really, really don’t want to carry it on for your return trip.  
As a carry on, it's less than ideal: requires room to open, quite large to stow under plane seats, solid if you happen to whack yourself on the head with it in an attempt to put it in an overhead luggage bin - ask me how I know.

The latches are awkward - they tend to swing in once the Trunki is open, meaning they are in the way when you're trying to close the Trunki again. Latching it becomes  an exercise in shoving all the trying-to-escape-suitcase-contents in, holding both latches out of the way, and then doing up the latches one at a time.

The way the suitcase opens - clamshell- is inconvenient. Because of the shape of it (moulded around the wheels), the bottom of each half doesn't fit any solid items well. Things like large colouring books need to go in the very centre because the Trunki narrows in both directions toward the outsides. There is a small elastic strap to hold items in place on the 'lid' side but this is only useful if you have large enough items. Smallish items will slip right out. Thats assuming you're lucky enough to actually open it the right way - the Trunki being symmetrical doesn't have an obvious 'this side up' when it comes to open it, meaning at least half the time I do it wrong and stuff falls out everywhere. Overall it's just a very awkward shape and design for a suitcase.

The shoulder strap is okay for carrying, but gets in the way when the child is sitting on the toy to ride it. Obviously you can take it off in between, but with the tendency of small children to change their minds, having to take it off and put it on again repeatedly is annoying. If the child pulls the Trunki along using the strap it can tip over when taking corners.

#22 Holidayromp

Posted 15 August 2019 - 10:03 AM

I have three of these and wouldn’t recommend them.

They expensive for limited use and very small and really only useful when kids are very young.  

The clasps are tricky to navigate for an adult let alone a child.

They make ideal cabin baggage because they are the right size.

I think my youngest daughter rode on hers once during a transfer but they can be wobbly.

They are hard to pull behind and DH ended up using the shoulder strap to carry.

I find that packing the kids into one suitcase far easier as trunkis just mean more to lug around.   Less is best - it’s not much fun dragging those things around whilst keeping track of kids and other cabin baggage.

#23 Lady Monteagle

Posted 15 August 2019 - 11:41 AM

I'm going for the "unpopular opinion" on this thread: we loved our Trunkis!  They were fab for multiple trips to Europe and some domestic trips, up until age 7ish.  When the kids were 7 and 10 we switched to backpacks.  

But at ages 3-6 they were perfect for us.  The kids loved them and felt a sense of ownership (almost like a pet!), so they took much more responsibility for their own luggage, and were much happier to drag/ride it around themselves.  Having something to sit & ride on in airports and for transfers was invaluable.  (Though I did also once drag one too fast over a join between the air bridge and the airport floor and send child off the side.)  

I guess they are a bit awkward to get in & out of inflight, but we don't do that very much anyway?  And in all those long hours, having something a bit involved to do is not always a bad thing?  Made it more of an occasion/boredom breaker.

We were all a bit sad when we made the family decision to leave Trunkis behind for our last long haul.

#24 Daffy2016

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

Haven’t actually used one but this thing looks the business!

https://kooshykids.c...=smart_campaign

#25 Feral-as-Meggs

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:39 PM

I’m not a fan.  They don’t fit much and it’s really hard to get things out without everything falling out.  The pull strap is not up to actually pulling a kid.

Then when you are waiting, it just leads to a lot of “no”.  Eg no swinging it in circles, no hooning, no rolling into people, no dragging other kids and tipping them off ....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.